BT to Sky - Half the speed?

Found 11th Dec 2017
I was getting a solid 70mb with BT most of the time.

I joined Sky last week and my average speed ranges anything from 35mb - 50mb.

My router is syncing at '67294' downstream, so this would indicate that the potential speed incoming is at least 67mb?

I've done speed tests via ethernet and there's no difference.
Any idea why this would happen?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
For the first few weeks sky tune the line so they say so leave it on and see how it goes when stable else use cooling off period
Solid with BT you say
You won't get that with sky unfortunately
You'll probably have your answer if I ask you why did you change.
Joey.Bloggsy6 m ago

You'll probably have your answer if I ask you why did you change.

I don't agree with BT's constant price changing. It was getting stupid.
My router says -
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):18797
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):66941

So am I right in saying I should be getting close to 66mb speeds download and 18mb upload?
deleted1597344
superfreddy36 m ago

My router says - Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):18797Line Rate - Downstream …My router says - Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):18797Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):66941So am I right in saying I should be getting close to 66mb speeds download and 18mb upload?

Yes that is correct, how long have you been with Sky?
I know you have tried this but plug in an Ethernet cable again and make sure no one else is using the internet, perform a speed test using the BT wholesale speed tester.
Are you paying for the fibre max service or the unlimited fibre service?
I'm paying for fibre max. It could be the ADSL cable. I have ordered a more higher quality one. Not sure what else it could be.
When I was with sky I usually got around 12-15 mbps but went as low as 0.04 mbps. Signed up with BT and went straight up to 52mbps, now getting approx 70.
Contract is up tho so gonna leave and get something cheaper.
regardless least you speak to a British person at Sky customer service. BT just pass you around the world - literally.
I got 22mbps max with sky and they said that was the fastest my line could go. Switched to BT and get a solid 54mbps
Strange as i rang BT last week and spoke to someone English
Leds not working on my new hub
I got a good deal before the price hike so can afford the 8p a day rise
I haven't had a email or letter yet either
superfreddy10 h, 58 m ago

I don't agree with BT's constant price changing. It was getting stupid.

I believe they all have constant price changes. Looks like you're in a pickle
chocci6 h, 19 m ago

I got 22mbps max with sky and they said that was the fastest my line …I got 22mbps max with sky and they said that was the fastest my line could go. Switched to BT and get a solid 54mbps

Sky routers are generally sub standard. But to be honest although the by router is probably the best it's nothing compared to an aftermarket router from some where like PC WORLD/ AMAZON ect....

The wording used by most providers is OUR best ever router NOT the best.

I would suggest a mesh network or router replacement as the speed coming is clearly shows you the network providing your line is ok but the router appears to be the weak link.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants