Groups

BT Total Broadband non-HTTP Throttling

As of late BT Total Broadband appear to have been imposing throttling on all non-http protocols between 5pm and 11pm, has anyone else been experiencing this?

I run a few machines on Linux and as many of you know Bittorrent is one of the preferred file distribution methods for Linux distributions so this is pissing me off, rather.

I have just sent a complaint and given them a chance to admit it and explain themselves.

18 Comments

Most ISP's throttle p2p traffic now during peak periods. Surely you can't be downloading that many linux distributions that often and if it is a problem why not do it during the day?

Original Poster

They never warned me they were going to do it.

Indeed, I do not download that many but I download a fair few and I don't feel that BT have a right to throttle non-http protocols without telling me first or warning me. Why should I change what time I download to suit them? They won't admit it either, I just e-mailed them enquiring about it and they tried to pass me on to technical support saying it was a problem with my line.

I work during the day unfortunately and come home at 5 and am faced with this ****.

They don't have to warn you. It will be in their T&Cs that they can do what they like.

JustExtreme;2276872

They never warned me they were going to do it.Indeed, I do not download … They never warned me they were going to do it.Indeed, I do not download that many but I download a fair few and I don't feel that BT have a right to throttle non-http protocols without telling me first or warning me. Why should I change what time I download to suit them? They won't admit it either, I just e-mailed them enquiring about it and they tried to pass me on to technical support saying it was a problem with my line.I work during the day unfortunately and come home at 5 and am faced with this ****.

non HTTP meaning P2P correct? Well I dont use P2P so I have no idea.

Read the T&C im sure it will say something. BT will never admit that there throttling

haha i imagine they can do whatever the hell they like with your conn, it will all be covered nicely in the fine print that you accepted

Banned

Change ISP, problem solved.

Next....

Just another reason not to use BT, as if their association with Phorm wasn't already enough reason to avoid them like the plague.

This is nothing new, BT have been throttling non http traffic for over a year now. They allow you so much bandwith before throttling you. Normal speed resums between 0001 & 0100

Original Poster

Its only just started for me, worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. What ISP would you recommend changing to? Do any of them not limit non-http?

I signed up to BT Broadband 2 years ago before all the throttling **** started so I thought they were meant to give me notice on change of contract unless they were expecting to have to do it and covered it already...

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;2277755

Normal speed resums between 0001 & 0100

You get 59 minutes of proper downloading before being throttled?

qazim;2277612

non HTTP meaning P2P correct

non-HTTP covers everything except webpages and some downloads. P2P downloading like BBC iPlayer, online gaming, chat clients, IRC and probably streaming videos like youtube as well. I don't know which ones BT are throttling in this case.

No I could of made that clearer, not sure which it is seems to vary on night to night. I actually think the throttling stops at 0100 but it could be 0001.
    Just found this on the beta bt forums.

"I can perhaps offer something on this since I've been having a issue as well. Here are the FACTS regarding the FUP:

1) There is no set limit to what you can download on option 3 before you are shaped. Its done on an exchange by exchange basis. A good figure to work on is 40-50Gb but that is not an absolute figure. The limits on exchanges can also change depending on how high general usage is for that exchange. If you want to find out your usage for the month call 0800 707 6044 to speak to the FUP/Network management team.

2) BT are legally obliged to provide you with a service of at least 512K no matter what. If you find your speeds are lower than that call tech support as it may be a line fault in addition to the restricted speeds.

3) Once you've had a restriction placed, its last for 1 month. If you go over the limit for your exchange in that month it will just carry over for another month.

4) There a 4 "bands" of restrictions, each having a different affect on your line speed. I'm not sure what band does what but if you call the FUP team they can probably tell you which band you've fell in.

Abusive calls and/or e-mails to BT support will get you no where. If you have a problem ,talk to them politely and they do."

More info etc here: This reckons peak times are 1800 - 0001 ]link

Original Poster

Anybody know of any services (not necessarily free) that thread torrents through a server to avoid throttling? I hear [url]www.btguard.com[/url] is good.

Original Poster

Bump

Bump

Use newsgroups, I've downloaded nearly 50gig in 2 days. They don't throttle those ports (yet).

just do torrent at night time, be down by the morning.

I have a download limit of 5GB a month and want to download a game which is 6.5GB so is going to use all my usage up. Does anyone know of an isp that doesn't have limits but is good I'm with namesco at the moment paying £15 a month
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1826
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2494
      3. Cat Chat76734
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767394

See more discussions