Bt upgrade to smart 2 hub

Posted 13th May
After some advice please. I have a smart hub at minute and am trying to find out if there would be any benefits from upgrading to smart 2 hub. It wouldn’t be the one with the wifi discs, just the smart 2.
Does anyone know if it would improve my speed at all.
One pc is connected using the plug in power adaptors not running wireless. PS4 connects wireless.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Unlikely, what speed do you get directly wired to the hub
When I run the Speedtest it is normally around 56
Afaik you can’t split 2.4 & 5 ghz in smarthub2 which is a bad feature in my opinion . I was tempted to get the smarthub2 but the lack of this feature made me change my mind.
I am using bt 1200 extender to connect to my youview box
Speed of 66-68 on wifi , 57-62 on extender
Edited by: "_saeed_" 13th May
Pilsbury1213/05/2020 09:40

When I run the Speedtest it is normally around 56

Sounds like your paying for 55meg and getting it
jb6613/05/2020 09:50

Sounds like your paying for 55meg and getting it

I’m paying for up to 76 but my guaranteed minimum speed is 55
_saeed_13/05/2020 09:45

Afaik you can’t split 2.4 & 5 ghz in smarthub2 which is a bad feature in m …Afaik you can’t split 2.4 & 5 ghz in smarthub2 which is a bad feature in my opinion . I was tempted to get the smarthub2 but the lack of this feature made me change my mind. I am using bt 1200 extender to connect to my youview boxSpeed of 66-68 on wifi , 57-62 on extender

I’ve got a Bt WiFi base station plugged into my hub. (Don’t have a clue what it’s there for, my son set it up)
It’s expensive for what it is. If you do a test via wired ethernet and see if you get the same speed, then a smart hub 2 wont get you anything better, may as well save your money! If youre only getting 55 to the house you won’t get any better upgrading your router
Pilsbury1213/05/2020 09:56

I’ve got a Bt WiFi base station plugged into my hub. (Don’t have a clue wha …I’ve got a Bt WiFi base station plugged into my hub. (Don’t have a clue what it’s there for, my son set it up)

I am guessing the base station is black 600 version , if thats the case then 56 mb would be reasonable as 600 isn’t as powerful as 1200 . 1200 provides impressive 5ghz with less than 10% speed loss.
I would recommend to test your connection speed directly from the router rather than connecting to base station/wifi extender . You can do Speedtest from the BT app
40745950-6sm6T.jpg
And then try doing a 3rd party speed test
40745950-7aEgi.jpg
You would be able to determine if speed loss is happening on the line or the setup. Smarthub2 won’t offer speed boost compared to smarthub . Something could be wrong with the setup or wifi band setting too
The speed I quoted is when connected direct to the router using Ethernet cable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions