BT whole home WiFi question

Posted 1st Dec
Just opened the box and a problem has occurred to me. The mesh WiFi is to replace an ASUS router attached to a Virgin super hub 3. The router has 4 Ethernet outputs, of which three are used. The BT router has no Ethernet outs. Is there a solution
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
Just been thinking. Can I leave the ASUS router in place and turn off WiFi, then connect the Bt router via the spare Ethernet?
chalkie12101/12/2019 22:10

Just been thinking. Can I leave the ASUS router in place and turn off …Just been thinking. Can I leave the ASUS router in place and turn off WiFi, then connect the Bt router via the spare Ethernet?

Yes, however you may find that devices connected to the super hub / ASUS don’t route very well to those on the BT. If you’ve got a fairly normal network setup that shouldn’t be a problem though.
chalkie12101/12/2019 22:10

Just been thinking. Can I leave the ASUS router in place and turn off …Just been thinking. Can I leave the ASUS router in place and turn off WiFi, then connect the Bt router via the spare Ethernet?

If you mean to use the bt router as modem only and have the Asus handle routing and DHCP then no. (Assuming its the bt home hub). I found this out earlier in the year as I have been using an Asus router for years with different isps, using the isps router as modem only.
Buy an ethernet switch?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants