BT WiFi Discs

Posted 8th Jul 2020
Hi, I wondered if anyone technical would know the answer to this...

BT gave me 2 WiFi discs as part of my package. The black ones that go with the Smart Hub 2.

They don't really make a difference as I get full speed throughout the house.

However, I have noticed that for example, on an Xbox 360, the wifi speed is awful and I get about 2mb download speed. But, if I plug in an ethernet cable to the back of the WiFi disc and into the Xbox 360, download speed is massively improved to over 40mb!

Does anyone know why this is?

Technically, the disc is still wireless as it's not connected by a wire to the Smart Hub. I'm asking as I'm wondering if Remote Play from my PS4 to my PC would be better using this method.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
The WiFi in the 360 is rubbish and even though you are using the disc it’s still connected to the console via Ethernet
Ethernet cable always works faster and more secure. However wifi is just more convenient
I think you've misread what I've said. It's going ethernet into the back of the WiFi disc. Not directly into the hub.
What speeds do you get when
XBOX > ROUTER via WIFI
XBOX > WIFI DISC via WIFI only ?
zworld09/07/2020 00:19

What speeds do you get whenXBOX > ROUTER via WIFIXBOX > WIFI DISC via WIFI …What speeds do you get whenXBOX > ROUTER via WIFIXBOX > WIFI DISC via WIFI only ?

That's in my first post...
Robloxian09/07/2020 00:23

That's in my first post...

Which WIFI network does your XBOX connect to? Router or WIFI disc?
zworld09/07/2020 00:24

Which WIFI network does your XBOX connect to? Router or WIFI disc?

Nothing, it shows as connected to ethernet.
You’re Xbox 360 will only connect via a 2.4ghz frequency through WiFi, which is slow anyway. That and it is old tech so will have poor hardware and software throughout. The WiFi discs you have are picking up the hubs 5ghz frequency, and through an Ethernet connection it can provide that full speed to the Xbox 360. It won’t be quite the same as a proper hard wired connection, but the 5ghz speeds are not far off
Basically if you’re broadband sync speed is 55Mbps download, then your throughput speed will be around 53Mbps. Your 5ghz WiFi speeds will hit very close to that, and the discs will repeat those speeds. New devices have the capability to connect to the 5ghz channel as normal, however the Xbox 360 doesn’t. So the Ethernet connection allows the disc to provide those speeds to the device, without it needing the capability to pick up the 5ghz frequency.
Thanks, that makes sense.
Post a comment
@
    Text