Budget Bluetooth Speaker

Posted 15th Jul
Hi all,
Does anyone have any recommendations on a Bluetooth speaker that can hold its own with volume and bass, suitable for outdoors at around £100 or less?
So many options..! Was looking at the Ultimate Ears Megaboom 2 & JBL Flip 5 (£80ish) but not sure if these are good.
Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Check out the Kygo B9/800

It's only £25 tab-retail.co.uk/kyg…te/
It's waterproof, floats, USB-C charging, WiFi with Google Assistant so can be used as Multiroom speakers with Google Home app.

Or £29 from Scan with a free Smarter Fridge Cam and next day delivery
scan.co.uk/pro…oth
I got one of the Kygo's when it was posted on here last month with the fridge camera and additional mini bluetooth speaker for under £30 (mainly out of curiosity for the fridge cam if I'm honest - I wish I hadn't bothered as it's rubbish!). If you need a cheap smart speaker then I guess it's OK but this definitely doesn't fit the OP's criteria - it would be useless outdoors and has virtually no bass.

I'd be tempted by the trusty old Anker Motion+ for around 60-70 quid which is still a cracking speaker for the money and for me as good as anything under £100, or if using it outside a lot and you need a lot of volume then the 50w W-King D8 at around £70 is a bargain too, and the thump and volume you'll need.
As above I really like my Anker speaker which I use outside, really great sound.
razorwire15/07/2020 10:41

I got one of the Kygo's when it was posted on here last month with the …I got one of the Kygo's when it was posted on here last month with the fridge camera and additional mini bluetooth speaker for under £30 (mainly out of curiosity for the fridge cam if I'm honest - I wish I hadn't bothered as it's rubbish!). If you need a cheap smart speaker then I guess it's OK but this definitely doesn't fit the OP's criteria - it would be useless outdoors and has virtually no bass. I'd be tempted by the trusty old Anker Motion+ for around 60-70 quid which is still a cracking speaker for the money and for me as good as anything under £100, or if using it outside a lot and you need a lot of volume then the 50w W-King D8 at around £70 is a bargain too, and the thump and volume you'll need.

If you adjust the EQ to bring the treble down a bit and boost the bass it's really pretty good.
I’ve been looking at this? Is it any good? Can it stream from Amazon music or Spotify ? It’s reduced

o2.co.uk/sho…ker
Edited by: "katestewart9279" 15th Jul
katestewart927915/07/2020 13:28

I’ve been looking at this? Is it any good? Can it stream from Amazon music …I’ve been looking at this? Is it any good? Can it stream from Amazon music or Spotify ? It’s reducedhttps://www.o2.co.uk/shop/anker/soundcore-flare-portable-waterproof-speaker

That’s just a Bluetooth speaker so yes it streams from all platforms. Just takes the sound from your phone and plays it on the speaker.
katestewart927915/07/2020 13:28

I’ve been looking at this? Is it any good? Can it stream from Amazon music …I’ve been looking at this? Is it any good? Can it stream from Amazon music or Spotify ? It’s reducedhttps://www.o2.co.uk/shop/anker/soundcore-flare-portable-waterproof-speaker

I had a Flare sent to me for review when they came out a couple of years back and wasn't that impressed with it to be honest but lots of people love it. It was a good size and looks and sounds pretty decent but compared to others had a tendency to be a bit harsh with distorted highs as well as a bit lacking in bass, the battery wasn't great and the LED lights were a bit of an ineffective gimmick. There's a Flare 2 now (more lights, usb-c charging) , which is why the original dropped in price, but it doesn't offer much more for the extra cash. I think it was about £70 or so originally so at £41 it's not a bad deal I guess. You can obviously stream Spotify or whatever you want from your phone to it but there's no built-in voice assistant functionality if you mean can it work independently as a smart speaker.
razorwire15/07/2020 14:56

I had a Flare sent to me for review when they came out a couple of years …I had a Flare sent to me for review when they came out a couple of years back and wasn't that impressed with it to be honest but lots of people love it. It was a good size and looks and sounds pretty decent but compared to others had a tendency to be a bit harsh with distorted highs as well as a bit lacking in bass, the battery wasn't great and the LED lights were a bit of an ineffective gimmick. There's a Flare 2 now (more lights, usb-c charging) , which is why the original dropped in price, but it doesn't offer much more for the extra cash. I think it was about £70 or so originally so at £41 it's not a bad deal I guess. You can obviously stream Spotify or whatever you want from your phone to it but there's no built-in voice assistant functionality if you mean can it work independently as a smart speaker.

What would you recommend speaker wise then please! I’m a bit behind with tech at the minute
katestewart927915/07/2020 15:15

What would you recommend speaker wise then please! I’m a bit behind with t …What would you recommend speaker wise then please! I’m a bit behind with tech at the minute

It depends on what your budget and requirements are - if you are looking for a travel speaker around the £40 point I'd still be tempted to go for a Tribit Maxsound, which is £37, over the Flare. If you can spend a bit more then as I said above I don't think there's anything that beats the Motion+ under £100 but that's £30 over your original budget (and is bigger and heavier, though still light enough to chuck in a bag for a trip out somewhere).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants