Budget GFX card for non-gaming 4K at 60 Hz?

10 replies
Found 6th Dec 2016
Hi HUKDers,

For some reason, I'm really struggling finding the answer to this question. What is the cheapest graphics card I can purchase that would allow me to display 4K (at 60 Hz, not 30 Hz) for basic 4K video playback. It would not be used for gaming at all. I've heard 30 Hz is an unpleasant experience.

Thanks for your help.

10 Comments

What CPU do you have?

'I've heard 30 GHz is an unpleasant experience.'

Take it you bought a Tardis? You mean 30hz lol

Original Poster

superdave14

What CPU do you have?

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB RAM.

AStonedRaichu

Take it you bought a Tardis? You mean 30hz lol

Oh dear, looks like I was a little optimistic with the refresh rates. Thanks!

I got myself a 4k TV to use as a monitor a couple of weeks ago, and until I had tweaked it it was running at 30hz, it really was quite a choppy experience when you're used to a 60hz desktop.

Seems like strangely difficult information to come by.

The only cards that seem guaranteed to work would be something like the Nvidida Ge-Force 1050 series
scan.co.uk/pro…ost

In the specifications it explicitly states Maximum Digital Resolution 7680x4320 @ 60Hz (That's 8k essentially).

There are previous generations of cards I can see that support 4k resolution but they don't state 60hz so would be a bit of a gamble. Also the newer cards have HDMI 2.0b outputs which is very likely to be the connection you're going to use.

Original Poster

Darkle

I got myself a 4k TV to use as a monitor a couple of weeks ago, and until … I got myself a 4k TV to use as a monitor a couple of weeks ago, and until I had tweaked it it was running at 30hz, it really was quite a choppy experience when you're used to a 60hz desktop.Seems like strangely difficult information to come by.The only cards that seem guaranteed to work would be something like the Nvidida Ge-Force 1050 serieshttps://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-d5-2gb-gddr5-graphics-card-640-core-1354mhz-gpu-1455mhz-boostIn the specifications it explicitly states Maximum Digital Resolution 7680x4320 @ 60Hz (That's 8k essentially).There are previous generations of cards I can see that support 4k resolution but they don't state 60hz so would be a bit of a gamble. Also the newer cards have HDMI 2.0b outputs which is very likely to be the connection you're going to use.

Thanks Darkle. I haven't had this difficulty in researching something for a long time. I think my best bet is word of mouth from people on here, who have actually got a 60 Hz configuration working.

A GTX 950 would also work.

The main question to ask is whether you need it over HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort?

DisplayPort has supported it for a while now so the low end chips (which are all several years old right now) are capable of [email protected] - although you're generally charged a price premium for the privilege of having one with the port available.

HDMI support for it came later so you need an RX series card from AMD (RX 460 being the cheapest) or a 900/1000 series card from nVidia (GTX 950/GTX 1050).

For DisplayPort something like the R7250-1GD5-V2 for £65 at ebuyer might work, although Asus website doesn't say definitively either way. The same chip in the £20 more FirePro W2100 definitely supports [email protected] SST though, so the hardware capability is there if it hasn't been limited for segmentation/cost reasons:
schneider-digital.com/sup…pdf

Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 6th Dec 2016

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

The main question to ask is whether you need it over HDMI 2.0 or … The main question to ask is whether you need it over HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort?DisplayPort has supported it for a while now so the low end chips (which are all several years old right now) are capable of [email protected] - although you're generally charged a price premium for the privilege of having one with the port available.HDMI support for it came later so you need an RX series card from AMD (RX 460 being the cheapest) or a 900/1000 series card from nVidia (GTX 950/GTX 1050). For DisplayPort something like the R7250-1GD5-V2 for £65 at ebuyer might work, although Asus website doesn't say definitively either way. The same chip in the £20 more FirePro W2100 definitely supports [email protected] SST though, so the hardware capability is there if it hasn't been limited for segmentation/cost reasons:http://www.schneider-digital.com/support/download/Documents_Flyer/AMD-FirePRO/WhitePapers/AMD_FirePro_4K_5K_Support.pdf

Hi EndlessWaves,

That's a really informative post thank you. This seems far more complex than I had originally thought. DisplayPort would not be an issue providing the monitor has such a connection (unless there is such thing as a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter?). Do most 4K monitors have DisplayPort? I assume HDMI is preferable in the event you want to hook it up to a TV or alternative monitor that may not have DisplayPort input.

Anyway, if so, then the FirePro W2100 sounds like the ideal choice.

yellowputty

Hi EndlessWaves,That's a really informative post thank you. This seems … Hi EndlessWaves,That's a really informative post thank you. This seems far more complex than I had originally thought. DisplayPort would not be an issue providing the monitor has such a connection. Do most 4K monitors have DisplayPort?

Monitors do yes, but TVs tend to only provide HDMI 2.0 as you were aiming for video playback it was entirely possible you were looking in that direction.

Now that I think about it, would these be copy protected videos? If you need HDCP 2.2 support then that's another layer and not all 60hz-capable cards and screens will support it. (hooray!)

yellowputty

(unless there is such thing as a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter?)

There is, but only active adapters for DisplayPort 1.2, which have to convert the signal and not just the plug so tend to run at £20-30 instead of £2-3.

yellowputty

Anyway, if so, then the FirePro W2100 sounds like the ideal choice.

nVidia's GK107/GK208 chips also support it, the workstation version of that with DisplayPort as standard would be the Quadro K420.

Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 6th Dec 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I5 7600k vs i5 740011
    2. Computer upgrades89
    3. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    4. Whey protien629

See more discussions