Budget Laptop - Help!

Found 20th Nov 2017
Hi,

I've posted a discussion about this recently but thought it may be best to reword it slightly. I'm looking at buying a laptop for a Christmas present around the £300 to £350 mark. The laptop will mainly be used for work purposes, Word, Excel, etc...

I've not been overly blown by the Black Friday deals so far but have come across the following...

AO - Asus VivoBook 15.6" Laptop
Argos - HP 14 Inch Intel Pentium 4GB 256GB SSD Laptop
Currys - HP 15-bs559sa 15.6" Laptop

Does anyone have any input on the above? Are there any other laptops out there I should be considering? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments
I'm looking myself in that price range as a Christmas present for my nephew. None of those are really that great deals.
I would agree - all three have poor processors, only 4GB RAM and the middle one has paired a small screen with the worst CPU (of the three) but an SSD which probably will be held back by the CPU & RAM. Having said that £350 is a very tight budget. There is an HP direct deal on an i3 with 8GB at £399- still not ideal but for an i5 processor with SSD you are looking nearer £600. Of those above, I would say the Currys one is the better (newer i3, better screen).
Original Poster
Ar460rn27 m ago

I would agree - all three have poor processors, only 4GB RAM and the …I would agree - all three have poor processors, only 4GB RAM and the middle one has paired a small screen with the worst CPU (of the three) but an SSD which probably will be held back by the CPU & RAM. Having said that £350 is a very tight budget. There is an HP direct deal on an i3 with 8GB at £399- still not ideal but for an i5 processor with SSD you are looking nearer £600. Of those above, I would say the Currys one is the better (newer i3, better screen).

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! With £350 being a tight budget I know I’m not going to get anything amazing.

Would you advise I hold out for a decent Black Friday deal? Are there any other sites I should be checking out?
Ar460rn35 m ago

I would agree - all three have poor processors, only 4GB RAM and the …I would agree - all three have poor processors, only 4GB RAM and the middle one has paired a small screen with the worst CPU (of the three) but an SSD which probably will be held back by the CPU & RAM. Having said that £350 is a very tight budget. There is an HP direct deal on an i3 with 8GB at £399- still not ideal but for an i5 processor with SSD you are looking nearer £600. Of those above, I would say the Currys one is the better (newer i3, better screen).

If you're happy to go up to the £400 (well, actually £399) mark, this is a great laptop with an i5, I will tell you that, usually around the £600 mark (that 700 figure is inflated a bit too much) and has an SSD - and if it's mainly Word documents memory-wise you should be okay, but for videos it may be a bit limiting - but it's a stunning laptop with great performance.
Original Poster
livesf52 m ago

If you're happy to go up to the £400 (well, actually £399) mark, this is a …If you're happy to go up to the £400 (well, actually £399) mark, this is a great laptop with an i5, I will tell you that, usually around the £600 mark (that 700 figure is inflated a bit too much) and has an SSD - and if it's mainly Word documents memory-wise you should be okay, but for videos it may be a bit limiting - but it's a stunning laptop with great performance.

I could well be tempted by this deal as Barclays Rewards are currently offering 10% cash back at Currys. I’m not too sure how that would work using a voucher code though.

Are Lenovo a decent brand?
XO2127 m ago

I could well be tempted by this deal as Barclays Rewards are currently …I could well be tempted by this deal as Barclays Rewards are currently offering 10% cash back at Currys. I’m not too sure how that would work using a voucher code though. Are Lenovo a decent brand?

The last time I had a Lenovo was back in 2010, and it lasted until 2 years ago so it lasted 5 years ago which I don't think is too shabby although whenever you buy a product you always have products that go a bit rubbish straight after the warranty period (we all know those products) whatever brand you're buying from so I won't be throwing any guarantees that it'll last for years like my old Lenovo did because I'd never do that on any product, whether it's a chinese product or a Dyson - but my experience with Lenovo has been reasonable. You can make up your own choices on deciding about what you'd like to do - and there may also be lots of good deals around on Black Friday so have a think.

The other things is that this has only a 128GB SSD - and despite SSDs being far superior than hard drives if that's enough space for you (it probably wouldn't be for many) than it's probably not for you because you won't have enough space to do your computering on.

I'm happy if I've been able to help you out in any way.
Edited by: "livesf" 20th Nov 2017
XO212 h, 39 m ago

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! With £350 being a tight budget I …Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! With £350 being a tight budget I know I’m not going to get anything amazing.Would you advise I hold out for a decent Black Friday deal? Are there any other sites I should be checking out?

Tesco & Amazon might do something but I would probably hold off until at least Friday and see what comes up. Also decide where you are willing to compromise - CPU (I would go for i5 as pref, i3 is ok, nothing less), RAM (prob 4GB with your budget), drive (SSD nice but do you want to store loads of music / photos) or screen size / resolution.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants