Expired

Build Decent Computer for less than £350?

Found 27th Sep 2008
Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong forum but wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm looking to build a new computer for less than £350 excluding OS, Keyboard, Mouse, DVD Drive and Monitor as i already have these. I was wondering if i would be able to build something better than the tesco quad core dell (the £300 one - http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/212053/dell-quad-core-tesco-for-299/) which i can get 10% off of as i know someone that works in tesco. I know that comes without a graphics card but i assume £80 will be enough for a half decent graphics gard.

Unfortunately i'm not up to date with computer hardware and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good value parts to build a PC that will be used mainly to do uni work and some light gaming.

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments

£80 will get you quite a good graphics card, you only need to spend £30-40 for a 'half decent one'.

As you didn't need the OS you might have been able to build a better one for the same price (or at least one more tailored to your preferences) but with the 10% discount I suspect the dell will be the better deal if you don't want anything in particular.

EndlessWaves;3067350

£80 will get you quite a good graphics card, you only need to spend … £80 will get you quite a good graphics card, you only need to spend £30-40 for a 'half decent one'.As you didn't need the OS you might have been able to build a better one for the same price (or at least one more tailored to your preferences) but with the 10% discount I suspect the dell will be the better deal if you don't want anything in particular.

For £80 you can get the 9600GT which is a capable card but don't expect to be playing Crysis on V-High or anything.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Im leaning more towards building my own so i can gear it more towards gaming. So far i've come up with this:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 - ebuyer.com/pro…715

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L iP35 - ebuyer.com/pro…800

Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case With CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU - ebuyer.com/pro…101

Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive - ebuyer.com/pro…826

Sapphire HD 4850 512MB - ebuyer.com/pro…468

Corsair 2GB Kit - ebuyer.com/pro…710

How does it sound?

Seems an ok spec, graphics card is definitely good for gaming.

Best place to ask for advice would be the forums at [url]www.buildyourown.org.uk[/url]

Original Poster

Thanks for the link, have been looking for a forum like that but had only managed to find American sites.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3281
    2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1951381
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769376
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 191 ***1327

See more discussions