Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Build help motherboard cpu

Posted 9th May
Hey I have this userbenchmark.com/Sys…613 motherboard. I just bought this cpu.userbenchmark.com/Int…941 cpu. Will it work together? If not why not? And what cheap motherboard would?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Try putting it in a list on pc part picker
Misly09/05/2020 00:16

Try putting it in a list on pc part picker

If I can’t add them together is that a no? Also why? And which would?
Never cease to be amazed how lazy some people are.
If you enter your motherboard name in a search, you'll get this which states "Supports 7th / 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors".
If you select your motherboard on PCPartPicker as Misly suggested, then check for compatible CPUs, you'll get a list of 31 CPUs, all 6th/7th generation.
So, in short, no, they won't work together.
Go back to PCPartPicker and start with your CPU, then look for a compatible motherboard.
qbs09/05/2020 01:16

Never cease to be amazed how lazy some people are. If you enter your …Never cease to be amazed how lazy some people are. If you enter your motherboard name in a search, you'll get this which states "Supports 7th / 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors".If you select your motherboard on PCPartPicker as Misly suggested, then check for compatible CPUs, you'll get a list of 31 CPUs, all 6th/7th generation. So, in short, no, they won't work together.Go back to PCPartPicker and start with your CPU, then look for a compatible motherboard.

Never cease to be amazed at how rude people can be when someone is only asking for help. The parts have already been ordered and I checked the fitting etc but I’ve never done this before so shock horror I got it wrong. Plus it was a two part question, which cheap motherboard would people recommend?
hmn199009/05/2020 01:22

Never cease to be amazed at how rude people can be when someone is only …Never cease to be amazed at how rude people can be when someone is only asking for help. The parts have already been ordered and I checked the fitting etc but I’ve never done this before so shock horror I got it wrong. Plus it was a two part question, which cheap motherboard would people recommend?

Power requirement changes Intel made (and as a quick reaction to AMD's resurgence) made the 8th gen (8XXX) not backwards compatible and ushered in the 3XX chipsets (rather than the 1XX you ordered) - which is what you would require if wanting this CPU.

If not sent and processed then you can cancel - and would strongly advise you do (emailing to confirm if you can).

Also as above, on a budget and bang for buck it is AMD who have the upper hand at this moment in time.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 9th May
Not trying to be rude but why didnt you ask advice before ordering?

You've made a double mistake here, not only are the items not compatible you should have gone AM4
hmn199009/05/2020 01:22

Never cease to be amazed at how rude people can be when someone is only …Never cease to be amazed at how rude people can be when someone is only asking for help. The parts have already been ordered and I checked the fitting etc but I’ve never done this before so shock horror I got it wrong. Plus it was a two part question, which cheap motherboard would people recommend?

Rude is not acknowledging and thanking people for giving you FREE advice.

Rude is inconveniencing a retailer due to your carelessness. I suppose you'll be expecting to return items at their expense.

The time to ask for advice was before you ordered. As I've already pointed out, checking the motherboard manufacturer's site, which is easily accessible to everybody, would have saved you, and everybody else a lot of bother.

If your efforts this far reflect your level of knowledge/ability, I suggest you buy ready made.
Intel doing the "same socket but different" thing, need a 300-series chipset for 8000/9000 series CPU - the H310 being the budget version, but to support K overclocking, you'd need a Z370/Z390 (the top end chipsets)

There are BIOS hacks that can run Coffee Lake on the Skylake/Kaby lake chipsets, but you'd need a compatible CPU first to do them, and they are tricky and unsupported.

PS. Looks like AMD are pulling a "same but different" with their next release. Their B550 chipset not compatible with older CPUs, and the Zen 3 / 4000 models not officially compatible with older chipsets
matth999909/05/2020 17:31

Intel doing the "same socket but different" thing, need a 300-series …Intel doing the "same socket but different" thing, need a 300-series chipset for 8000/9000 series CPU - the H310 being the budget version, but to support K overclocking, you'd need a Z370/Z390 (the top end chipsets)There are BIOS hacks that can run Coffee Lake on the Skylake/Kaby lake chipsets, but you'd need a compatible CPU first to do them, and they are tricky and unsupported.PS. Looks like AMD are pulling a "same but different" with their next release. Their B550 chipset not compatible with older CPUs, and the Zen 3 / 4000 models not officially compatible with older chipsets

Yeah I thought I could do that with this but the most I can push it is to 7th gen. I will just buy a cheaper motherboard. I got that CPU for £130 and I think that’s a steal so will just get a new mobo.
A MSI Z390-A PRO & Gigabyte Z390 UD are both good choices, you should be able to get one for about £110.
Gormond09/05/2020 18:13

A MSI Z390-A PRO & Gigabyte Z390 UD are both good choices, you should be …A MSI Z390-A PRO & Gigabyte Z390 UD are both good choices, you should be able to get one for about £110.

@Gormond Would this not be fine?
uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…dvs
hmn199009/05/2020 18:57

@Gormond Would this not be fine? …@Gormond Would this not be fine? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MnhKHx/asrock-h310cm-dvs-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h310cm-dvs

I don't have any experience with H31 boards, it's not something I would ever use/recommend. It's very basic (No M.2, USB3 Gen 2, Only 2 ram slots...) but should get the job done.
hmn199009/05/2020 17:32

Yeah I thought I could do that with this but the most I can push it is to …Yeah I thought I could do that with this but the most I can push it is to 7th gen. I will just buy a cheaper motherboard. I got that CPU for £130 and I think that’s a steal so will just get a new mobo.

It's not a steal though when you have to have a new motherboard as well.

I picked up a ryzen 5 2600 for £64 and an msi x470 gaming plus for £50ish.
@m1keyp1key@Gormond

So on the right is what I currently have. Like I said I got the i5 8600 for £130.
I can probably sell that for a bit higher BUT what would you do with £130? I know the CPU needs improving a lot and the 8600k does that but with that money. I know I need a GPU but that's not on the cards right now. Just a little upgrade that will make this PC better.

Thanks
40695255-9mI4F.jpg
It's not £130 though, it's £130 + a new motherboard which really kills upgrading this pc.
@m1keyp1key What would you do with the PC on the right?
I think you need to do some maths, work out what a new intel motherboard will cost you, what you can get back for that £130 processor, the old i5-6400 processor and the ram.

Then price up a ryzen, am4 motherboard and some ram and then do a comparison.
Or you can pick up a H310 motherboard for £45 - £50
@m1keyp1key what amd is better than the 8600k at £130?

Thanks for the help
For around that price and buying new you'd probably have to go with the 5 3600.
@m1keyp1key Endgame for this whole thing that I'm chipping away at is playing Cyberpunk when that comes out.

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Com…040
Why does this seam to think the 8600k is better?
Edited by: "hmn1990" 9th May
Why are you upgrading your cpu when the recommended specs are :-

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz / AMD Ryzen R5 1600
  • RAM: 16 GB RAM
  • HDD: 70 GB of space
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • Direct X: Version 11
  • Screen Resolution: 1080p

We all know you got a great deal on the cpu, the issue here is you need a new motherboard for that cpu so it negates the good deal.

You've been looking for value for money and the value for money is in am4.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 9th May
hmn199009/05/2020 22:13

@m1keyp1key How about this once I sell the GPU then? …@m1keyp1key How about this once I sell the GPU then? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/hmn1990/saved/#view=Cbmj23

You want the 3600 from currys with the 8% off as it's £144. It comes with a wrath cooler so i wouldnt bother with that cooler you've listed.

The memory is too expensive,you want it from amazon for £70

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

The motherboard looks like 2 slots for ram which limits any potential ram upgrades.

Obviously the gpu you'll need to sell and replace with something better later. Best waiting until the end of the year when the new ones come out and prices should lower.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 9th May
Btw isn't this game also coming out on consoles so that's another thing to consider.
@m1keyp1key I’m just going to use the ram I have for now. When does that currys expire do you know? As I don’t want to sell the 8600k until I actually get it seems bad form. Yeah I just want to play it at a better frame rate and quality than my Xbox.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions