Build up of air in towel radiator

Posted 8th Dec 2019
I have one of these towel radiator in the bathroom and the top rail is cold whilst the other rails are very hot. I bled the radiator about a month ago and a lot of air came out. The top rail then became hot like the other rails but it has become cold again.

I have just bled the radiator again and a lot of air has been built up over the last month.

Anyone know why air continues to build up in the radiator? Is there an adjustment on the two controls at the feet of the radiator that can adjusted to resolve this build up of air?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
39293273-2J2oc.jpg
We have two towel radiators and one of them behaves the same as yours and the other is never a problem. Think the one that traps the air is at the very highest point of the system , hence all the air seems to migrate to it. All you can do is keep bleeding it , remember to check the system pressure too as it may need topping up ( through the filler loop on the boiler).
Corrosion inside creates gas.
markvirgo08/12/2019 14:10

Just fit one of …Just fit one of thesehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Aladdin-Bleeding-Automatic-Radiator-Single/dp/B019395RHY/ref=asc_df_B019395RHY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256187788999&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12558015239432527627&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007037&hvtargid=aud-548500765412:pla-422989679908&th=1

have you got one yourself and can comment on whether it works?
wayners08/12/2019 15:45

Corrosion inside creates gas.

corrosion inside the actual towel rail or in the system as a whole? if inside the rail itself then that is a lot of gas as i hold the release key open for 10 seconds before all the gas is released and this is a lot of air, built up within a month.
mutley108/12/2019 15:58

have you got one yourself and can comment on whether it works?

Not got one myself but have been made aware of them in the past and they are ment to work ok.
markvirgo08/12/2019 17:21

Not got one myself but have been made aware of them in the past and they …Not got one myself but have been made aware of them in the past and they are ment to work ok.

it sounds an interesting concept but it may be over engineering and i worry it may open the system and let air in.
mutley108/12/2019 16:00

corrosion inside the actual towel rail or in the system as a whole? if …corrosion inside the actual towel rail or in the system as a whole? if inside the rail itself then that is a lot of gas as i hold the release key open for 10 seconds before all the gas is released and this is a lot of air, built up within a month.

The whole system. That's where the sludge comes from and the gas/air. Get advice on cleaning and adding products like fernox
wayners08/12/2019 20:43

The whole system. That's where the sludge comes from and the gas/air. Get …The whole system. That's where the sludge comes from and the gas/air. Get advice on cleaning and adding products like fernox

all the radiators in the house were replace a couple of months ago. the towel rail and two radiators upstairs are the only old radiators still left in the system.
mutley108/12/2019 12:48

[Image]

I used to have similar regular problems, until I was told only ever to bleed any radiator when the system is off and preferably when it has been off say for an hour or so. The monthly task of bleeding the offending bathroom radiator has gone for good.
It was explained to me that when you bleed a radiator that is on, sure you let the air out to be replaced by water but because the system is under pressure when it is on you also introduce air from somewhere else which eventually finds its way to the top.
I now bleed my bathroom radiator once per year in the summer when the system is off. Very little air comes out and I have no need to bleed any other radiator in the house.
yorkie1208/12/2019 12:53

We have two towel radiators and one of them behaves the same as yours and …We have two towel radiators and one of them behaves the same as yours and the other is never a problem. Think the one that traps the air is at the very highest point of the system , hence all the air seems to migrate to it. All you can do is keep bleeding it , remember to check the system pressure too as it may need topping up ( through the filler loop on the boiler).

now that you have mentioned the highest point in the system, this towel rail is the highest in the house as it is a tall rail. so i guess all the air in the system finds its way to this radiator.

this is where the air accumulates as most of the radiators in the house are new and there is no air in them.
tardytortoise10/12/2019 06:25

I used to have similar regular problems, until I was told only ever to …I used to have similar regular problems, until I was told only ever to bleed any radiator when the system is off and preferably when it has been off say for an hour or so. The monthly task of bleeding the offending bathroom radiator has gone for good.It was explained to me that when you bleed a radiator that is on, sure you let the air out to be replaced by water but because the system is under pressure when it is on you also introduce air from somewhere else which eventually finds its way to the top.I now bleed my bathroom radiator once per year in the summer when the system is off. Very little air comes out and I have no need to bleed any other radiator in the house.

when i read about bleeding radiators, it said to turn the heating on so that the air gets pumped to the top of the radiators. then turn the heating off and wait for the heating to cool down a bit before you bleed the radiators as the hot water may burn you, but also that the boiler will let more air in if you bleed the radiators while it is on.

however, it did not say leave the heating off for long or to bleed the radiators when the system is off. i normally wait for about 30 minutes after i turn the heating off before i bleed the radiators. i could try to leave the heating off for an hour before i bleed the towel rail again to see if that helps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants