Building a Budget Gaming PC - 'Staying Within Budget' <----LOL!

Found 12th JanEdited by:"deleted57959"
I decided to get back into PC Gaming, after a very long time out of it... picked a great time eh when prices for everything are through the roof, I mean what ever happened to the sub £400.00 budget gaming PC.

It started with my son saving up and buying a new PC, so I got the old one Id built him a FX6300 with a HD7850 he doesnt play much more than Overwatch but it was showing its age, and when you cant really get 60fps on Skyrim special edition on low you know its time...

So I do not really have a budget but my desire is for 1080p 60FPS gaming. something I can upgrade at a later date so my idea was to start.

I have a spare Samsung 830 256 SSD & 1TB HDD and i picked up the Fractal R5 on offer at Amazon the other day.. I also have spare Evo TX3 Cooler (strangely)

i3 8100
z370 - not much choice here but I suppose good for upgrades later on.
8GB DDR4 2400Mhz
GTX 1060
Decent Corsair 450-500w PSU

Seems simply enough, but then the fun starts doesn't it..

It starts with 'well I have the Z370 so can overclock so maybe I should get the i3 8350k', but then you start to think well its only a bit more for an i5 8400 but if I am going to get an i5 and I have a z370 then maybe I should get i5 8600k... and £100 has become £250

Memory well I cant get 2400 because some people on here dismiss it for being slow, so now i need to 3000 and overclock that too, for some reason those 3fps are now important to me for some reason.

No point deciding between a 1060 3gb and 6gb might as well go for a 1070, but hold on someone posted a 1080 for just under £400 today...

and so on.. and then you add it all to your basket see the price and then come back down to earth and remember you only wanted to play Planet Coaster..

I am starting remember why I went to consoles a long time ago, but in fairness building a PC and doing it on a budget is more fun than having no budget. Its just another chapter in my mid life crisis lol, but if it makes me happy for a while.
Community Updates
MiscElectronics
Top comments
My advice hari, don’t chase the power dragon.

Everyone will tell you how you need more expensive processors/ram speed etc but you likely won’t. I’m still using an i5 4670 from 2013 and 1600mhz ddr3 ram with my GTX1070. Still maxing games out at 1440p and 4K with 60fps.

Stick to your budget mate.
24 Comments
Not sure if you're aware of this site but it's good for getting a parts list together and comparing options
uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Don't rely on the prices it displays, though as they can be a bit... Unreliable
The curse of budget creep and man maths, good luck with that OP.
My advice hari, don’t chase the power dragon.

Everyone will tell you how you need more expensive processors/ram speed etc but you likely won’t. I’m still using an i5 4670 from 2013 and 1600mhz ddr3 ram with my GTX1070. Still maxing games out at 1440p and 4K with 60fps.

Stick to your budget mate.
My advice would be to first look at what games you want to play, now and in future, and at what resolution & graphics levels. From there you will get an idea of what CPU and GPU horsepower you will need. 1080p 60fps is highly subjective to each person.
Then decide how long you intend to keep the PC in its initial build; are you likely to be able to (or want to) upgrade a component or two in 6months-a year from now?? Determining that will factor into your current and future budget.
I would say motherboard platform is arguably the most critical decision right now for you. It will obviously impact the CPU, but also potentially RAM. Everything else in a PC can be upgraded/sidegraded very easily in future. But the motherboard, CPU and RAM (potentially representing majority of your budget) is the headache as they will need to be carefully thought out for compatibility and upgrade path (s).
Cheaper buying an Xbox One X and better value for money.
Possibly wait for the non Z motherboards to come out and go with the locked i5-8400 out so you can save some money on the motherboard and restrict yourself to 2666 RAM speeds? With the impact of mining on GPU prices, and the Meltdown/Spectre impact upon CPU's now is not a great time to plan a cheap build.
As one of HUKD's resident trolls, I'd just like to add that after 2017's mini-revolution of high-clocked 6 and 8-core CPUs entering the mainstream, we're probably a good 3-4 years away from the next meaningful speed gain. Now, with that in mind, do you really want to just get a quad-core i3k? You can upgrade later, sure, but likely only within the same series, and with the losses on the i3 probably being greater than the savings on a near-EOL i7, you'll probably only wind up spending more for the privilege of hassle, regret, and less performance. And I did mention the i7 there because, well, why not? Yep, at the component level, the upgrade offers a low benefit:cost ratio. But, look at the whole picture, and the extra £200-odd that i7 adds to your total system build probably gives you a performance gain that's around 1:1 with the cost increase, so that makes it worthwhile, right? Plus it'll hold more value for the future. And it'll be an i7.

While we're on the subject, those extra threads and cores will probably benefit from a bit of extra bandwidth, too. Might as well go for the DDR4-3200 RAM. And there's not much point having fast RAM if you can't feed it fast data from storage. Have you seen the Samsung NVME SSDs? They offer read speeds up to the 2GB/s range. They're only a little more than conventional SSDs, too.

On the note of the GPU, I actually agree with you on that point, as there's not much point going any higher than a 1070. To be honest, you don't really need any better than a 1050ti, since that'll play all your games anyway. At the end of the day, it's the gameplay that makes the game, not the graphics, isn't it? On the other hand though, if you follow that route of logic, you pretty rapidly end up with CPU onboard graphics. You're not buying all this just to play games. You're buying it all because you want to play games in luxury. And do work, and whatever else. Go with a 1080ti, and nothing less. Cost isn't even an argument against it - cyrptomine, and you can recoup at least some of that.

On the note of playing in luxury, you might really want to look at buying new I/O, too. No point having an amazing rig and a tattered old mouse and keyboard, or having an amazing GPU and a crappy old 1080p 60Hz TN panel, is there? Go big or go home, dude.
Biddy22 h, 35 m ago

My advice hari, don’t chase the power dragon. Everyone will tell you h …My advice hari, don’t chase the power dragon. Everyone will tell you how you need more expensive processors/ram speed etc but you likely won’t. I’m still using an i5 4670 from 2013 and 1600mhz ddr3 ram with my GTX1070. Still maxing games out at 1440p and 4K with 60fps. Stick to your budget mate.

I'm almost running the same (4670k, 16gb ram, few ssds), just with a 6gb gtx1060 (amazon warehouse - £155). Other than graphics ticking over at a slow rate tech hasn't changed much for a while now. My 4670k has lasted much longer than any other pc I've had in the last 10-15 years and still has a lot of life in it.

For gaming ram speed doesn't really a make much difference for the cost gains, you can gain more elsewhere in a lot of cases.
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army12th Jan

Cheaper buying an Xbox One X and better value for money.

that's not a PC is it nor is it really better value for money.
@haritori

"...but in fairness building a PC and doing it on a budget is more fund than having no budget..."

...and fun, potentially.
catbeans16 m ago

that's not a PC is it nor is it really better value for money.

33048265-CcMXx.jpg
How much would it cost to build a PC with the above specs, a 4K Blu-ray player and 4K video streaming

[Image] How much would it cost to build a PC with the above specs, a 4K …[Image] How much would it cost to build a PC with the above specs, a 4K Blu-ray player and 4K video streaming

£0.01?

[ hotukdeals.com/com…053 ]

[Image] How much would it cost to build a PC with the above specs, a 4K …[Image] How much would it cost to build a PC with the above specs, a 4K Blu-ray player and 4K video streaming

Well you wouldn't need to build a PC with the same specs with the OX because those specs are frankly stupid for the results, its a proprietary machine that uses "4k gaming" very loosely. You are right a true 4k gaming PC will cost ~£1000, but an XBOX isn't a true 4k machine, it certainly doesn't display true 4k in most games nor "max" graphical quality, nor 60fps like the £1k 4k PC, nor is it even a PC (which is kind of the point considering OP wants a PC), nor does it have even half the functionality of said PC. Nor do those specs have anything to do with "value for money". If i wanted a 4k gaming PC with similar ability to the One X i would simply buy any second hand reasonably spec'd PC from the past 5 years for a few hundred put in a GTX1050 and boom 4k at medium settings 30 fps, pretty close to what a One X can do with a hundred times the functionality.

Pretty much any modern PC even with the lowest specs should be able to stream and display 4k, even my older PCs can, A 4k drive is pretty redundant and i would just buy movies from all the online services that now exist, physical media is dead and if it really was required just buy a console as well, since its apples and oranges anyway.
Any thoughts on going AMD here after many years of happy budget gaming with them
most regret switching to Intel now.
If going intel you want an i5 don’t bother with more or less as it’s pretty pointless, a decent amount of ram preferably DDR4 but high end DDR3 is fine. SSD is a must for your operating system at least. Get a good power supply and finally graphics is only as important as the games you want to play.
deleted5795912th Jan

the i3 8100 is comparable to 7th gen i5 7500, I would of previously agreed …the i3 8100 is comparable to 7th gen i5 7500, I would of previously agreed with you, but the quad core i3's seem to be a rebadged i5.also the 8th gen boards are currently only Z370 so DDR4 only, DDR3 wont work.

Was kind of assuming budget would be second hand parts rather than brand new.
catbeans4 h, 30 m ago

Well you wouldn't need to build a PC with the same specs with the OX …Well you wouldn't need to build a PC with the same specs with the OX because those specs are frankly stupid for the results, its a proprietary machine that uses "4k gaming" very loosely. You are right a true 4k gaming PC will cost ~£1000, but an XBOX isn't a true 4k machine, it certainly doesn't display true 4k in most games nor "max" graphical quality, nor 60fps like the £1k 4k PC, nor is it even a PC (which is kind of the point considering OP wants a PC), nor does it have even half the functionality of said PC. Nor do those specs have anything to do with "value for money". If i wanted a 4k gaming PC with similar ability to the One X i would simply buy any second hand reasonably spec'd PC from the past 5 years for a few hundred put in a GTX1050 and boom 4k at medium settings 30 fps, pretty close to what a One X can do with a hundred times the functionality. Pretty much any modern PC even with the lowest specs should be able to stream and display 4k, even my older PCs can, A 4k drive is pretty redundant and i would just buy movies from all the online services that now exist, physical media is dead and if it really was required just buy a console as well, since its apples and oranges anyway.

[4K] Forza Motorsport 7 Demo: Xbox One vs Xbox One X vs PC Comparison! by Digital Foundry

[4K] Forza Motorsport 7 Demo: Xbox One vs Xbox One X vs PC … [4K] Forza Motorsport 7 Demo: Xbox One vs Xbox One X vs PC Comparison! by Digital Foundry[Video]

You mean the flagship display game that isn't that resource intensive can run at 4K 60fps at a floor show, wow mind-blowing, how about Every other game? What PC specs are required to run the same level on PC? According to the website;
  • Processor: Intel i5 4460 3.2GHz.
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 or NVIDIA 1050 Ti.

Lucky the one X has all those teraflops and so much VRAM

Still not a PC btw.
deleted5795912th Jan

Ah right, well when I said i don't have a budget I meant that in a …Ah right, well when I said i don't have a budget I meant that in a positive way as in money isnt an issue so much, just prefer to spend less than more

I would go the fun way instead of buying all the stuff straight off and assembling it I would buy a cheap 2nd hand system and upgrade parts as you go along. You can pick up cheap i7 4770 + 8gb of DDR3 systems for peanuts, add GTX 1060 and you have a half decent system. SSDs, better cases and PSUs can come later when you need them.
deleted265520
Apologies if I've got the wrong person OP.

Didn't you make quite a detailed post about quitting gaming a whilst back? Or something that you don't feel the magic behind it like you once did.

Well PC gaming, to me, is the epitome of this. Constant worries about upgrading and benchmarks. Steam libraries with about 500+ games and only 1% ever played for more than ten minutes.

Like I said I've probably got the wrong guy but if is you then I'm not sure PC gaming is the route I'd be taking to get back into it.
As a Cities Skylines player, you will need a tasty machine to run Planet Coaster once the asset level gets quite high!
Might be a little before your time Hari
but if I am honest all I ever wanted was ORAC
33090657-c7Ji8.jpg
No Oculus Rift in the budget?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants