Building a food smoker - Techie one using Raspberry PI

Found 29th Nov 2017
I'm in the process of designing a food smoker using my Retro American Style BBQ as pictured below
2844692-Bkt3z.jpgI intend to build the food smoker or utilise the bottom compartment of the BBQ.

The BBQ was gas however I have removed all the pipe work and the bottom compartment is now empty (where the gas cannister was originally stored)

I am planning on adding a smoke port to my bbq and use aluminium ducting to the smoker box or port it to the compartment underneath sealing any gaps up.

I also want to integrate a raspberry PI to monitor temperate, humidity and smoke time in which I can create an application to send a notification after a set time etc, maybe add some LED lighting and a fan to control the temperature.

crazy idea? anyone thought of something similar?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Great idea 💡 would be quite interested in this myself
Original Poster
PowerMovesOnly23 m ago

Great idea 💡 would be quite interested in this myself

I will draft up some plans this weekend and post them here
I like your barbecue. Very trendy
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

I like your barbecue. Very trendy

Thanks, I got it at an auction; the gas diffuser was rusted so decided to remove all the gas parts to make it in to a charcoal bbq, I have still not used it yet even though I have owned it for several years now!

Hopfully after this idea it will be used a lot
Sounds pretty straight forward however water and heat proofing the electronics might be a challenge.
netyard28 m ago

Thanks, I got it at an auction; the gas diffuser was rusted so decided to …Thanks, I got it at an auction; the gas diffuser was rusted so decided to remove all the gas parts to make it in to a charcoal bbq, I have still not used it yet even though I have owned it for several years now!Hopfully after this idea it will be used a lot

I've never really understood gas barbecues. I've got a cooker for that . Always thought the point of barbecue was the smoke taste. I won one once. I gave it away.
Original Poster
joedastudd28 m ago

Sounds pretty straight forward however water and heat proofing the …Sounds pretty straight forward however water and heat proofing the electronics might be a challenge.

I was thinking of using a long probe for the temperature, not sure about the humidity yet, the Pi could be fixed in a weatherproof box to an area where it would not get too hot.. Oh and powered by solar too...
I have a smoker with a wireless temerature guage - it just alerts me if the temp of the smoker goes above or below a set range and when the meat is ready. This website & forum is for the Weber Smokey Mountain but there is a wealth of info about controls etc including raspberry pies, especially in the forum.

The Virtual Weber Bullet
Edited by: "Pandamansays" 30th Nov 2017
Original Poster
Pandamansays13 m ago

I have a smoker with a wireless temerature guage - it just alerts me if …I have a smoker with a wireless temerature guage - it just alerts me if the temp of the smoker goes above or below a set range and when the meat is ready. This website & forum is for the Weber Smokey Mountain but there is a wealth of info about controls etc including raspberry pies, especially in the forum.The Virtual Weber Bullet

Thank you, I will have a look at that website
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants