Groups

Building a Gaming PC

I am building a friend of mine a gaming PC for £300.
    I currently have an Antec 900 case so just looking for the best value parts used or new.
    Thanks!
    I've come across the AMD Phenom X4 955 Black edition for £65 or AMD X6 1055T for £80 ish?
    Corsair 4GB for £30?

16 Comments

If your on a strict budget, the ATI Radeon 5670 is a very good DX11 DDR5 budget gaming card, set you back around £50(ish)!

amazon.co.uk/gp/…4O/

Edited by: "richx45" 18th Jun 2011

£300 is really pushing it for a good system, can he go any higher at all?

You want to set aside about £500 to get a system that pretty much plays everything well.
    Dropping this by £200 will probably gimp pretty much everything bar the power supply (im not sure how much though)
    Edited by: "Artonox" 18th Jun 2011

Original Poster

He's not looking for high end. He could possibly go a bit above.
    It's possible to get a HD 4870 or something similar for around £40 which I believe is better than the 5670. As I said doesn't need to be new. He will be upgrading stuff later on just wants to start off with a £300 system.

Thanks

Original Poster

Also the graphics card isn't included in the budget he'll buy that seperately.

Problem with a 4870 Is it will run hotter, and use more power

fruman23

Problem with a 4870 Is it will run hotter, and use more power

Yeah the reason I mentioned the 5670 is it doesn't use much power, ideal for a budget system

The 4870 is power hungry & only runs DX10!

Edited by: "richx45" 18th Jun 2011

Original Poster

Okay I'll get the 5670 but that's not what i'm looking for at the moment

Thanks

richx45

Yeah the reason I mentioned the 5670 is it doesn't use much power, ideal … Yeah the reason I mentioned the 5670 is it doesn't use much power, ideal for a budget systemThe 4870 is power hungry & only runs DX10!

Have you got a motherboard yet? I take it your going down the AMD route!

Original Poster

AMD or Intel does not bother me, I only have the case as of yet.

richx45

Have you got a motherboard yet? I take it your going down the AMD route!

Original Poster

bump! Any recommendations for a motherboard? I'll start with that.

Cheapest one from a reputable manufacturer, best warranty etc. I guess you won't be overclocking so just make sure you get one with what you need. IDE/Sata/USB2/3 etc

Stick with a fast dual/quad core for gaming. Six core, probably a waste of money.
    Edited by: "PhearFactor" 18th Jun 2011

I have a post dedicated to gaming pc under 300. I have listed everything I bought and its great. plays bad company 2 at high settings

Original Poster

PATRIOT SIGNATURE 4GB DDR3 1333 CL9 D/C MEMORY KIT 36.00 - I can get Corsair for £30
    MSI 870A-G54 AM3 GAMING SERIES 49.99
    Phenom ii 840x4 65.00 - I can get Phenom 955 for £60
    RADEON 4870 512MB 40 - I can get 1GB for £40
    250GB HDD 25 - I can get 500GB for £20
    CASE 20
    Windows 7 professional 64bit Student edition £39.99
    ASUS WIRELESS CARD 17.99 - I have a Dlink for £6

Original Poster

Any motherboard you have in mind?

PhearFactor

Cheapest one from a reputable manufacturer, best warranty etc. I guess … Cheapest one from a reputable manufacturer, best warranty etc. I guess you won't be overclocking so just make sure you get one with what you need. IDE/Sata/USB2/3 etcStick with a fast dual/quad core for gaming. Six core, probably a waste of money.

£300 is nothing, you could easily spend £60 on a decent PSU, for the main hard drive i would go for a performance drive like a WD black etc
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 3911
      4. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11

See more discussions