Groups

Building a PC - advice required...

Banned
    My mate has just built a PC and we're both very technical people, but i'm more into the software side of things and he's into the hardware.

He's gone for the Intel Quad Core Q6600 (stepping version)

I will probably get the same processor, but i'm just wondering a couple of things;

1) what is the cheapest, but best motherboard to fit this processor? Budget would have to be about £130 MAX

2) what power supply would i need to run this system? I think my mate is going for 850w or something along those lines

3) compared to your average PC/Laptop, what will the power consumption be on this kind of spec PC? Will my electricity bill sky rocket?

cheers

p.s

I'd ask my mate but he's on holiday

5 Comments

Your questions are pretty ambiguous, but here goes.

1) Any LGA 775 socket mobo will do - depends what your needs are.
    2) Again depends on your needs and other components such as graphics card (are you building a gaming rig?)
    3) Depends on how long you keep it on for.

Original Poster Banned

DVS_Dee;4765078

Your questions are pretty ambiguous, but here goes.1) Any LGA 775 socket … Your questions are pretty ambiguous, but here goes.1) Any LGA 775 socket mobo will do - depends what your needs are.2) Again depends on your needs and other components such as graphics card (are you building a gaming rig?)3) Depends on how long you keep it on for.

I'd be mainly building it just for speed more so than gaming. e.g encoding files etc.

Will look into the mobos

thanks

I've got the same cpu and i'd recommend you get a decent cooler for it, here's my spec, might give you a bit of a starting point:

CPU: Q6600 + Asus Arctic square cooler
    RAM: OCZ 4GB 800 MHZ
    PSU: Corsair hx620
    MOBO: Gigabyte p35-ds4
    GFX CARD: Nvidia 8800 GTX + Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 9800 VGA cooler

OS's - Win Vista 64bit SP1 / Sabayon 4.0 / leopard OSX 10.5.6 (iatkos) / Free BSD 7

I used to use it for gaming and then decided it was pointless as i have a ps3 & xbox360, pc gaming ends up quite expensive as you'll always want to keep buying new parts just for extra fps!

Good luck with your build, it can become very addictive!!!

2) Depends on the other components but 850W is going to be unlikely, that's triple graphics card, quad-raid territory. Anything from 300-500W for a single graphics card depending on how powerful it is and how many cards and HDDs you have in the PC.

3) Under full load obviously high-end components can draw a lot of power but when idling it shouldn't be much more than the average PC, it may even be less if your current PC is a few years old as newer processors throttle down their speeds when not under much load to save even more power, the Q6600 runs at 1.6Ghz when you're not doing anything demanding.

If power consumption (or heat/noise) is a concern then you could look a the Q9400. Similar performance but newer with smaller transistors so it uses less power and generates less heat. Slightly more expensive though, which is why the Q6600 is still popular.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767404
      2. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1010
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)63484
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7211361

See more discussions