Building a pc from scratch, budget 600/700£

Found 9th Dec 2017
Hi guys, I have seen many many many many good offers on pc components and desktop pc, BUT, I have never built one and it has always been a dream of mine. Now my question is: Which parts are best to build a pc capable of running VR games, 1080P at 144hz+? And possibly bitcoin mining? (Never done this, might be worth a try)
Thank you for everyone that will answer to this post 😁

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments

It depends on your budget for each component. You can build a good system with 2nd hand parts for next to nothing and then upgrade at a later date. The main parts you don't want to scrimp on are case and psu as you will hold onto these the longest.

Original Poster

kester7642 m ago

It depends on your budget for each component. You can build a good system …It depends on your budget for each component. You can build a good system with 2nd hand parts for next to nothing and then upgrade at a later date. The main parts you don't want to scrimp on are case and psu as you will hold onto these the longest.

Thank you! Can I trust second hand GPUs and CPUs? On another note, which case should I go for? For what I’ve seen, there are “micro” ones and “normal sized ones”. There’s too much to chose from and I just feel like a small fish in a sea

semonio18 m ago

Thank you! Can I trust second hand GPUs and CPUs? On another note, which …Thank you! Can I trust second hand GPUs and CPUs? On another note, which case should I go for? For what I’ve seen, there are “micro” ones and “normal sized ones”. There’s too much to chose from and I just feel like a small fish in a sea

CEX isn't too bad for 2nd hand CPUs as they give a long warranty. You can pick up a cheap i7s from cex and a cheap 2nd hand motherboard and memory off ebay for a low price.

Original Poster

Thank you! Any suggestions on specific cpus and motherboards and memory’s?

semonio53 m ago

Thank you! Can I trust second hand GPUs and CPUs? On another note, which …Thank you! Can I trust second hand GPUs and CPUs? On another note, which case should I go for? For what I’ve seen, there are “micro” ones and “normal sized ones”. There’s too much to chose from and I just feel like a small fish in a sea

The case size categories are pretty much meaningless these days (not that they were every very strict). They're only really useful to compare within one manufacturer's range, and sometimes not even then.

Case size is personal preference. Generally smaller cases sit better on your desk and are nicer to live with on a day to day basis while large cases cope better with noisy hardware and are a bit easier to put together (there are fewer badly designed ones and fewer restrictions on what you can put in).

As you can probably tell I go in for small ones. My current one is just under 7cm wide.
semonio53 m ago

There’s too much to chose from and I just feel like a small fish in a sea

The first thing to do is to work out what your priorities are. If you want discrete, quiet and fast in practical terms then the correct choices are entirely different than if you want something flamboyant, huge and fast for it's own sake.

If you're not sure about that then what have you found good and bad about your current PC? Other than updated performance where do you want your new machine to be better?

Original Poster

EndlessWaves3 m ago

The case size categories are pretty much meaningless these days (not that …The case size categories are pretty much meaningless these days (not that they were every very strict). They're only really useful to compare within one manufacturer's range, and sometimes not even then.Case size is personal preference. Generally smaller cases sit better on your desk and are nicer to live with on a day to day basis while large cases cope better with noisy hardware and are a bit easier to put together (there are fewer badly designed ones and fewer restrictions on what you can put in).As you can probably tell I go in for small ones. My current one is just under 7cm wide. The first thing to do is to work out what your priorities are. If you want discrete, quiet and fast in practical terms then the correct choices are entirely different than if you want something flamboyant, huge and fast for it's own sake. If you're not sure about that then what have you found good and bad about your current PC? Other than updated performance where do you want your new machine to be better?

It’s embarrassing to say, but I don’t have a current machine 😁😭

Your half way there as you know exactly what your system is for, go find the minimum spec for VR 1080p @144Hz, that will give you an idea if your budget is enough, I would say your looking at least at getting a GTX 1060.

Unless your in a strange situation where your electricity is included in your rent, I would forget bitcoin mining.

ukpcpartpicker is great. It really helped me and I'm no expert. My son also built his own PC.

Building isn't that hard, just basic DIY knowledge and a familiarity installing Windows, drivers ect. Everything is idiot proofed, you can't put RAM anywhere else but a RAM socket ect.

You have internet access (by your post) so if you do run into difficulties that is your first port of call. It's been 15 years since I built my first PC. I had internet access but my only access was through my PC. When I was installing, I didn't have a driver for my internet doh! Took me a week to sort out lol.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm also in the market for a new desktop within the next 3 months. I could build something new (don't think my current set up is worth upgrading) but I'm just keeping an eye on HUKD if something pre built turns up.

Original Poster

GlentoranMark4 m ago

ukpcpartpicker is great. It really helped me and I'm no expert. My son …ukpcpartpicker is great. It really helped me and I'm no expert. My son also built his own PC.Building isn't that hard, just basic DIY knowledge and a familiarity installing Windows, drivers ect. Everything is idiot proofed, you can't put RAM anywhere else but a RAM socket ect.You have internet access (by your post) so if you do run into difficulties that is your first port of call. It's been 15 years since I built my first PC. I had internet access but my only access was through my PC. When I was installing, I didn't have a driver for my internet doh! Took me a week to sort out lol.Good luck and keep us posted. I'm also in the market for a new desktop within the next 3 months. I could build something new (don't think my current set up is worth upgrading) but I'm just keeping an eye on HUKD if something pre built turns up.

Thank you, I’ll definitely have a look at that website

Original Poster

Now a question that divides people more than Moses divided the ocean: for CPU, better AMD or Intel??(for gaming purposes mainly) I know for GPU is definitely NVIDIA

I'm seeing good prices lately as well and I'm considering going to PC seeing as games are way cheaper. To justify the spend I was looking for other uses of a high end PC, I came across bitcoin mining which seemed like an amazing idea, but over the course of the year it seems that its a bit of waste of time. It requires a lot of electricity which can be costly and there are purpose built units now that do x1000 the job your graphics card would be able to do. Gutted about this really as that would have meant I would definitely invest in a PC.

Try build it with second hand parts you will get more for your money. Checkout reddit.com/r/H…UK/ for good deals.

The case is irrelevant get a cheap one for now save some money they are easily replaced, don’t cheap on the PSU and try get a modern enough cpu even if it is entry level but as long as it meets min requirements for your needs that way you will have a modern mobo so you only have to update cpu not mobo and Ram as well.

But failing that you could build for less focus on higher gpu and then update other components at a later date. Plenty videos on YouTube showing what you can get away with, check Linus tech tips out for cheap build inspiration.

Until motherboards for 8th gen Intel processors get cheaper, the best bang for buck NEW has to be AMD Ryzen - and if you don't plan on overclocking, the cheaper non-overclocking chipset would do ... but Ryzen is very OC friendly

In used, Intel all the way, as the AM3/3+ platform from AMD was just embarrassing compared to the Intel's that were around at the end of its lifespan.
The previous Intel socket, LGA1150 (Haswell, Broadwell), also has the advantage of cheaper DDR3 memory.... the current pricing of DDR4 really eats into the budget on Intel LGA1151 (Skylake, Kaby Lake), LGA1151 300-series chipset (Coffee Lake) and AMD AM4 (Ryzen - and AMD have announced Ryzen 2 will be AM4 as well).

And to restate, Intel threw a nasty time bomb with Coffee Lake (8 series) - needs a 300 series chipset which will not support the older Skylake (6 series) and kaby lake (7 series), so it may as well be a new socket!
Edited by: "matth9999" 10th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions