Building a plex server

Found 27th Mar 2017
I currently have plex on a dedicated server I no longer need to rent, with 8GB RAM and a Xeon chip passmark ~6500, and about 6TB in media.

I used to run plex off my desktop or an old laptop but I don't want to go back to that. Upstream bandwidth shouldn't be an issue I get 17Mb and I've never seen it peak above 3 streams at once. I can always give up sharing with friends if it uses all my upload bandwidth anyway, almost all of my own streaming is within the house.

I have two 4TB hard drives ready. I've been looking at the Dell TS120 Xeon 1225 which has been as low as £190 but without a time machine it's currently £300 everywhere. I'd also need an SSD for a boot drive, and maybe an extra 4GB ECC ram so total £380-£400.

I can beat that on Dell outlet if I buy an i5 desktop for £300 with 8GB non-ECC ram, similar passmark score, 128GB ssd, Nvidia Geforce 720 incase I ever want to use it as a spare desktop, but I'm worried is it a bad idea to buy a standard desktop when I'm planning to leave it on 24/7 as a server?

Does anyone have any better ideas? Something I'm missing? Saw the thread a few weeks ago for a Linux server under £100 but seemed way underpowered
Community Updates
AskServer
8 Comments
i use a machine that i built running it with Ubuntu 16.06 which is a long term supported version. i have a gigabyte board with an i3 processor and about 12GB ram. this runs constantly with out an issue as plex is very low on usage. i am also using a 60GB SSD for the boot drive and boot speed is 10 sec from cold.
Get a Mac mini pal I leave mine on all time running Plex
Not sure why you need an SSD on a server as you could boot the OS off a usb drive and save on a sata port. Unless you're transcoding you don't need a high end CPU either or more than 4GB of ram.

What would be nice is a nic that supports teaming. If you're building a desktop then build it and don't worry about the few extra watts to keep in running as most new halogen ceiling lights use 100W+:)
kester76

Not sure why you need an SSD on a server as you could boot the OS off a … Not sure why you need an SSD on a server as you could boot the OS off a usb drive and save on a sata port. Unless you're transcoding you don't need a high end CPU either or more than 4GB of ram.What would be nice is a nic that supports teaming. If you're building a desktop then build it and don't worry about the few extra watts to keep in running as most new halogen ceiling lights use 100W+:)

Most streams are transcoded at the moment. I'd like to shrink my media library from 6TB+ by converting everything to x265 although I'd expect this to require even more transcoding to clients wanting h264.
cmonmon

nvidia shield tv.sorted.

​Bad idea I would say. Look at all the issues on the Plex forums. I have 2 and still struggle to sort it out when it shouldn't be to difficult. Currently need to fiddle with ipv6 to ipv4 to talk to the Plex server outside of the house. Also not guaranteed to wake-up the server inside the house.
sneakybifta

Most streams are transcoded at the moment. I'd like to shrink my media … Most streams are transcoded at the moment. I'd like to shrink my media library from 6TB+ by converting everything to x265 although I'd expect this to require even more transcoding to clients wanting h264.

​I wouldn't bother until there are more HEVC devices out there. Better to spend you money on bigger HDDs. I think you can buy 8 and 10TB seagate drives for a good price.
Can't offer any advice on the hardware side but Unraid server runs Plex really well had one running 24/7 for over a year on a low spec low powered desktop and couldn't be happier, best (only ) software I've paid for in a long long time.
Edited by: "xmikebx" 27th Mar 2017
I ran a biostar A68N-5000, integrated 1.5ghz quad core AMD with 8gb ram, 128gb boot SSD running Ubuntu server and 4TB storage. I share my plex server with about 8 others and haven't had any problems. Although to be fair I also use the server as a crashplan backup server and I remux all my video to. Mp4 and aac audio using the server so it's not being used for 4k content.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants