Groups

Building a raised bed

Am planning to build a raised bed at the weekend, over the site of an old pond. The pond has been drained and pretty much filled with rubble, hardcore, stones etc.

My plan is to cement 4 posts in the corners, then nail/screw/coach bolt some planks of wood into the posts, building them up a layer at a time. It's about 6ft x 4ft. Not really sure of what sizes post/planks to go for. Obviously it will be filled with soil so there will be plenty of weight in there, am planning on going up to about 60/70cm high and don't want the wood coming apart/breaking under the weight.

Any tips?

14 Comments

Original Poster

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/sancho_1983/16102009132.jpg

What it looked like before i emptied it

Banned

pressure treated wood, 90x90 posts and wood from the decking section will be perfect for the job

you could use railway sleepers to make a wall ?

Original Poster

jubbyme;8080863

pressure treated wood, 90x90 posts and wood from the decking section will … pressure treated wood, 90x90 posts and wood from the decking section will be perfect for the job

Thanks, the wife's not keen on the 'ridged' look of decking, but similar dimensions would be ok though?

leemole101;8080871

you could use railway sleepers to make a wall ?

Would love to, can't find any reasonably priced though

Banned

its only ridged one side! use the smooth side out

Original Poster

http://www.wfpn.net/raised_bed_02.jpg

These look nice

Original Poster

Might look at scaffold boards rather than sleepers, anybody used them or have ideas where to get some, £7.50 on e-bay

Banned

stacked timber posts

you could buy 3x3 or 4x4 posts of the required length pressure treated

the added bonus is no foundations, just long bolt them together on the ground and fill with dirt, and built in drainage underneath already

Wickes might have some in if you have a local one.
    wickes.co.uk/bin…ers

Original Poster

jubbyme;8080990

stacked timber postsyou could buy 3x3 or 4x4 posts of the required length … stacked timber postsyou could buy 3x3 or 4x4 posts of the required length pressure treatedthe added bonus is no foundations, just long bolt them together on the ground and fill with dirt, and built in drainage underneath already

Do you mean for the 'walls'?

richp;8081038

]Some good ideas herealso not sure if you've seen this thread … ]Some good ideas herealso not sure if you've seen this thread ]http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/624433/over-the-garden-fence-2010-chat-pic?p=8009158#post8009158

Thanks, i saw that website but it was making my head hurt, no real logic and i was just clicking on ones with no idea whether it would be something like what i wanted to do!!

Banned

yes the design you said looked nice, the walls are the entire thing, no posts or foundations needed

Original Poster

I see, yeah i suppose that would be an idea, would the bolt have to go through all of them from top to bottom? Not sure i would be able to get it 60/70cm if so

Banned

no not top to bottom

ends and each layer to the last with big nails, quick work then

or you have to mess with drill holes lining up and threaded bar and nuts that you cant get a spanner on
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7261379
      2. word association Game74044574
      3. Giffgaff New goodybags33
      4. Santander - Compensation1617

See more discussions