Expired

Building a small form factor gaming pc around an i5 8600k

Found 25th Apr
Hi all,
I've been researching parts for a while now and saving up and I've decide I'm dead set on an i5 8600k because I like the single thread speed for the price. I already have an SSD and an older but still good non modular PSU. However, as for other parts, I'm open to suggestions. in an ideal world, I'd like 16gb ram, a small form factor m-atx/m-itx case, and be able to overclock to 4.8+ ghz. as for GPU, cooler, mobo, ram etc I'd love your best price/performance suggestions, here what I've found atm uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…K3b
Community Updates
AskGamingElectronicsPC
13 Comments
Some words of advice. Your itx case size will limit what coolers you can use. Same with GPU length. I would go for an AIO as they give better clearance and you can shift the heat out of the box easier.
Optical drives can be an issue as well.
I would go for a core v21 which is larger than the core v1 but you can put a 200mm fan in the front and I think an CM EVO can fit in there for cooling.
Hope this helps
What is your max acceptable size?
Since you plan to OC, would it be better to get a larger case to accommodate larger CPU cooler?
Hey I've made changes based on your suggestions - uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…PV6 is the GPU good enough or should I get a higher clock speed/more vram for the extra 30-100 quid?
V21 is quite big,,,
336 x 320 x 424
stephenp931 h, 5 m ago

Hey I've made changes based on your suggestions - …Hey I've made changes based on your suggestions - uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xvFPV6 is the GPU good enough or should I get a higher clock speed/more vram for the extra 30-100 quid?

swap the ram to overclockers.co.uk/tea…tml
Samsung memory and much better timings.
Cisco06060635 m ago

V21 is quite big,,,336 x 320 x 424

A little bigger than the Core V1 but airflow is amazing and an EVO 212 will sit happly in there. Pictures online of a DH-D15S cooler installed in one. ITX cases are a massive compromise and it's hard to shove everything inside.

Computers are a three-way trade-off between size, quietness and performance so it's often not a case of something being outright better.

Your current proposal is large, quiet and high performance.

Is that the sort of balance you're after?

It would help if you defined some boundaries and priorities. Presumably you'd like it to play every game available and not just a reasonable selection. Are you bothered about extra graphical sparklies or is running fluidly sufficient?

How much noise are you willing to live with? The louder a system is the more heat you can pack into a small space. A silent system is much more restrictive than an audible system, and if it can be outright noisy then you can cram stuff into the smallest space they'll fit.

What sort of size are you after? A V21 is a huge case taking up more volume than the average mid-tower, although being cube-shaped will make it look smaller than a taller but narrower tower. Is there a maximum size you'd like to stay below? Are you willing to choose components in order to make a smaller system or are you just after the smallest case a particular set of components will work in?

SFF is term that gets applied to a whole range of sizes so you do need explain what you're envisaging ending up with.
To be honest, case size isnt a big priority. I mean, Ideally I'd like a smaller form factor case if it's the same price and performance overclocking wise. if I had to cut corners in performance or pay significantly extra I'm fine with a normal case. I'm just interested in value for money truth be told
To be honest my question should have been, I want to spend max 800 on a i5 8600k, Gtx 1060 3/6gb? (If it's worth the 70-100 quid extra), Mobo, Ram, Cooler and Case, can I do better than this for overclocking uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…7XP is the GPU worth the extra 70 quid for 6gb over 3gb
stephenp931 h, 8 m ago

To be honest my question should have been, I want to spend max 800 on a i5 …To be honest my question should have been, I want to spend max 800 on a i5 8600k, Gtx 1060 3/6gb? (If it's worth the 70-100 quid extra), Mobo, Ram, Cooler and Case, can I do better than this for overclocking https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/B6L7XP is the GPU worth the extra 70 quid for 6gb over 3gb

It's a hard question to answer because it depends on what you're going to use it for. Graphics wise there's not much difference between the GTX 1060 3GB and 6GB except for a drop cuda cores and memory. Overclocked GTX 1060 3GB sometimes catch up with stock GTX 1060 6GB though. Main issue is with resolutions over 1080p or multiple monitor setups. Also with games that use more vram than 3GB might take a hit.

I guess it depends on how long you're going to keep the card. I would probably go for a cheaper card and save that money for an GTX 1160 or a 2nd hand GTX 1080 in a couple of years. Remember that the GTX 1160 will probably be around the £250 mark so you'll have £70 towards it already.

Ok guys back again, so I've decided I'm gonna go for a Gtx 1050ti instead because it will do me for now and I might upgrade again in a couple years time. Now I've been think my PSU is actually a good few years old, so these are the parts I'm dead set on, and give you an idea of my budget uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…7XP I'd love Mobo/PSU/cooler suggestions now for overclocking a decent amount. I don't really want to be paying upwards of 60 quid for a cooler tbf
I've bought the ram, GPU, processor, and case. I need you guys Mobo and cooler recommendations for overclocking, ideally a Mobo under 100 quid and a cooler under 50 uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…7XP my build so far
stephenp932 h, 31 m ago

I've bought the ram, GPU, processor, and case. I need you guys Mobo and …I've bought the ram, GPU, processor, and case. I need you guys Mobo and cooler recommendations for overclocking, ideally a Mobo under 100 quid and a cooler under 50 https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jPH7XP my build so far

If you have a big enough case I would buy this watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/A…tml but it's about £100 There are cheaper models like the LT 240 though
I've got the standard AlphaCool Eisbaer 360 but the LT 360 is the cheaper improved model. A little awkward to fit at 1st but its performance is just crazy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants