Found 5th Jun
hi all im planning on splitting a bedroom to create a smaller bedroom and bathroom but i need to get more light into one of the rooms so i would need to cut about a foot out of the brickwork to get enough light into the bedroom but doing this then makes the lintel too small . could i build a brick pillar in the middle of the lintel to support it and would this be good enough to be permanent and enable me to cut the the brickwork down one side and the put 2 smaller windows in or would i need to replace the lintel completely

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

Short answer NO, not under any circumstances and the fact that you have needed to ask means you need to seek professional advice.

Not only would you be endangering your own life, but also anyone else that comes near. Create either two separate windows with the correct lintels for the load they have to carry, or replace it with a larger window and lintel spanning the divide between the rooms, or just do not have a window in one of them.

Don't bother asking on here...too many variables. best and only advice you should listen to - get a quote off a builder.
Whether you use a builder or not at least if he says he will do it you will know if it is possible.

Get builder to do the difficult bits. Finish the rest yourself

definately not, if it's on a second floor there are some Windows you can get that don't require a lintel. better off getting a quote from a upvc installer, a single small window would be around £150-£200 installed on my area. not only that it would then be installed by a FENSA registered installer which is required, if you don't ten you will need building regs sign off.

Original Poster

thanks for all the info. guess I'll just a builder round

cutting into an outside brick work may destabalise the wall so it may need to be supported. you will need a builder and you will probably need to apply for building regulations approval.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57556
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle67
    3. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)45
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…22

See more discussions