Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Building control removing a wall

Posted 6th Jan
Basically I got a structural engineer who is highly regarded as in the guy has trained almost half the building Control guys at the council for plans to removal a Load barring wall so the back of the house has a steel along the back where the old wall was and now a steel under them from an internal wall to the wall on the extension.

He give me calculations and drawings which I have to Planning along with the notice of work .

The builder carried out the work to the letter , before the guy coming out came to inspect it the engineer and the builder said he’s a nightmare. So he came out when the steel had gone in , he was happy with the work and made a few suggestions one being we need to dig down to see under the foundation of the extension to see what the ground was like . He said what I have done has actually made the house more structurally sound and stable and that the builders have copied the plans exactly , no before he went he said it might need the external wall of extension under pinning !

The extension was passed off by the same people he works with and i shown him the plans , I dug a hole to the last brick and it’s sat in concrete base so I sent him an email with pics .

Today he sent me an email saying he wants me to keep digging past the concrete.

I’m going to dig further but I’m worried he might ask to under pin , this was never mentioned to me at any point until he said it and looking online I can’t even find any info where any has had a sound external wall
Under pinned when having a load baring wall removed .

Can he make me do it as it cost 10k by the lols of it and I can not even dream to pay for that
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Bribe him with some hotukdeals and bourbon biscuits
Not a builder but work among trades.
Even though this guy is a structural engineer he isn't physically doing the work?
Surprisingly enough builders know a lot more than what they're made out to know.
Ask the guys who have been doing the work for you what they think (when the structural engineer is not around) and if they think it isn't necessary then I would get a second opinion if you can from someone else professionally.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 6th Jan
Have you passed this info onto your structural engineer to see what his thoughts are?

If he disagrees with what building control are saying, would he be willing to contact building control and give an insight to the calculations and drawings he made....?
andynicol06/01/2020 21:48

Have you passed this info onto your structural engineer to see what his …Have you passed this info onto your structural engineer to see what his thoughts are?If he disagrees with what building control are saying, would he be willing to contact building control and give an insight to the calculations and drawings he made....?

I did , he said

have no comment on requirements from building control other than I was OK with my original proposals given when I visited.
Edited by: "ashmac" 6th Jan
ashmac06/01/2020 23:05

I did , he saidhave no comment on requirements from building control other …I did , he saidhave no comment on requirements from building control other than I was OK with my original proposals given when I visited.

Find out the required depth of foundations to support the load from the structural engineer & dig to that level & no deeper & advise building control of the depth required & then ask BC if they have any objections now that the required depth has been satisfied. Worth a try.
What size and how long is the beam? Who decided that unknown works would cost 10k?
buggles06/01/2020 23:17

What size and how long is the beam? Who decided that unknown works would …What size and how long is the beam? Who decided that unknown works would cost 10k?

4 metre beam with stone pads on each end

I looked it up online as rough guide
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants