Building Oculus Rift VR ready gaming PC.

Found 4th Feb 2016
Hello!
I need new gaming PC and maybe now is the time to build something in mind for the future.
I need your advice and help on building Oculus Rift VR ready gaming PC.

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:
Video Card NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater
CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
Memory 8GB+ RAM
Video Output Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
USB Ports 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
OS Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

I will built the Pc from scratch and I will need : Windows,Mouse,Mat,Keyboard,Headphones,camera,Monitor and etc.
I do not use Wi-Fi and only enternet conection straight to the router.

At the moment I am looking at:

CPU.MOBO and RAM :
INTEL Skylake Core i5 6600K 3.5Ghz, ASUS Z170-P Motherboard & 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 Crucial RAM Bundle from Amazon priced at 370 pounds.
Link: amazon.co.uk/Sky…1Z5

GPU : Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 390 NITRO OC Graphics Card - 8GB - 270 pounds.
Link: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-sapphire-radeon-r9-390-nitro-oc-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6000mhz-gddr5-1040mhz-gpu-2560-streams-3x-dp-

SSD : Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe High Performance SSD - 110 pounds .
Link: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-samsung-sm951-m2-(22x80)-pcie-30-(x4)-nvme-ssd-mlc-nand-read-2150mb-s-write-1260mb-s-300k-100k

HDD: Seagate ST1000LM014 1TB SSHD 2.5" SATA 3 PC/MAC/PS4 - 70 pounds .
Link: scan.co.uk/pro…ps4

Water Cooler: Coolermaster Seidon 120V V2 All In One Hydro Cooler - 40 pounds.
Link: scan.co.uk/pro…int

Case - Some advice for around 40 pounds ?

Mouse,mat,headphones and keyboard around 120 pounds for all?

Monitor: I want one of this new high resolution gaming monitors around 200 pounds? More than 20"!

Windows 10 64 bit - 100 pounds?

I was looking for prebuild machines but I couldn't find something good with similar specs for less than a 1000 pounds.
My budget for everything is 1000 pounds but I want to try to make it cheaper as possible.
What do you think people is the idea good and what you think of the components that I choose.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Best Regards.
Community Updates
AskPCVROculus Rift
7 Comments
I would add a leap motion aswell so you can see your hands
Have you tried vr? As it makes some people experience motion sickness.
One piece of advice I would give is spend more than £40 on the case. Get a good one and this could be the one component you still after 10 years. Its also the thing you will be staring at thinking I spent 1k on that! so it needs to look like it cost 1k! Might just be me but nothing worse than a cheep plastic black box with 1k of components inside!
You can get a windows key for around £15 off ebay which will save you £80 leaving you £120 for a case.

Thanks for your advices.

kester76

I would add a leap motion as well so you can see your hands

I am fine for now.Don't want to waste unnecessary money for now

norville555

Yes I tried Google Cardboard Glasses and I was fine.

Deaa

One piece of advice I would give is spend more than £40 on the case. Get … One piece of advice I would give is spend more than £40 on the case. Get a good one and this could be the one component you still after 10 years. Its also the thing you will be staring at thinking I spent 1k on that! so it needs to look like it cost 1k! Might just be me but nothing worse than a cheep plastic black box with 1k of components inside!You can get a windows key for around £15 off ebay which will save you £80 leaving you £120 for a case.

I will check for better pc case.Are this codes for Windows 10 genuine?

Someone with advice regarding the parts I choose ?

Best Regards.
the parts you have chosen are great and when you are not doing vr this system would be great for 1440p gaming
kester76

I would add a leap motion as well so you can see your hands

norville555

Deaa

One piece of advice I would give is spend more than £40 on the case. Get … One piece of advice I would give is spend more than £40 on the case. Get a good one and this could be the one component you still after 10 years. Its also the thing you will be staring at thinking I spent 1k on that! so it needs to look like it cost 1k! Might just be me but nothing worse than a cheep plastic black box with 1k of components inside!You can get a windows key for around £15 off ebay which will save you £80 leaving you £120 for a case.

​also the copys off windows of eBay are ilegal but I have used them and they work fine, I would recommend you spend the money you save on a nice case (mabey nzxt) and some ti
op quality fans
steliobg

I will check for better pc case.Are this codes for Windows 10 genuine?

Is something at 20% of the price it is everywhere else usually genuine?

Most places have Windows 10 Home Retail for about £85 which is a bit of a saving over the RRP but Microsoft don't discount much, although they do various schemes for students, healthcare workers and so on.

Your monitor budget is unrealistic. You'll struggle to get something with a higher than normal resolution for £200, if you want additional gaming features like variable refresh rate then they run to about £350-500.

Buying the parts of the bundle separately would cost you about £335 so you'd be silly to pay £370 for it if you're installing an third party heatsink anyway.

The SM951 is fast but the extra speed doesn't benefit a lot of uses, so going for a standard £50 250GB SSD will save you £60. That goes even more so for the SSHD, I'd just have a normal hard drive for £40 less. If you want the speed then the £180 you're spending will get you a 1TB SSD which will be better.

I'd get a decent pair of Hi-fi headphones (gaming ones don't tend to be very well built) from Audio Technica or similar. Keyboard and mouse doesn't need to be anything special for gaming.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants