Building PC using second hand components off ebay

Found 10th Dec 2017
One discussion here mentioned that this was a good way to save a lot of money on building, say, mid-level gaming desktops. However, there are a vast and bewildering variety of CPUs + mobos + ram combos on ebay. It's hard to wade through it. I'm kind of lost here. There are lots of guides on the internet (eg tomshardware), but only for brand new components. Used items change the price vs performance equations completely.

What specifically do people here recommend buying? For example, would an i5-3300+ddr3 ram be a better option than an i3-7100 + ddr4?

Any links to good sellers or specific deals?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

Get an i5 K they can be overclocked
A good overclockable motherboard gigabyte are good or asus.
16 GB ram
At least at 4GB 1050 graphics card.
A decent power supply and a 250gb ssd of amazon.
You're done £450 -£500 quid I think in total.

I've never considered buying used but I'm interested also. I currently have an AMD Athlone X2 but it's struggling despite 12MB RAM. Will follow this thread.

"For example, would an i5-3300+ddr3 ram be a better option than an i3-7100 + ddr4?"

Only if it were cheaper.

The English language sites are often to be obsessed with the high end kit so for more normal hardware you generally have to look to european sites like hardware.fr and computerbase.de. For example this comparison of CPUs from the last few years on hardware.fr is a useful article:
hardware.fr/art…tml

They haven't actually included a quad core ivy bridge without hyper-threading, but it would be mid-way between the 2500k and 4670k. Then you just need to adjust for the clockspeed - the 3330 runs 90% as fast So the 3330 is similar in performance to a Pentium G4560 or Ryzen 1200 on average in the games tested there, and around 10% slower than the i3-7100.

Need to watch out for the cpu suffixes on Intel cpus. There's quite a few of them and they vary quite a bit on price and performance.

GlentoranMark4 h, 53 m ago

I've never considered buying used but I'm interested also. I currently …I've never considered buying used but I'm interested also. I currently have an AMD Athlone X2 but it's struggling despite 12MB RAM. Will follow this thread.

I think 12mb of ram would be a bottleneck years before the CPU

bryanhaines39918 m ago

I think 12mb of ram would be a bottleneck years before the CPU

Building a PC was easy but I ain't got a clue on specs. It is a 4 year old build tbf and I built it mainly to play online poker. I don't play as much poker nowadays but I can't play some games that were free on HUKD recently because the specs suck. I also develope for Android and can't run the emulator because it's an AMD chip

Good news though, my son (who is completing a computer degree) has just decided to build a new PC. I discussed this thread and he's giving me his throw me downs I can use my SSD although might have to buy a new case. He's got a 2 year old gaming machine woop woop!

Original Poster

Found a deal for an i5-3570 for £50. No heat sink. 4GB ddr3 is about £15. It's hard to find a cheap mobo to go with it though. Most are around £45, which is what the basic ones were brand new.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants