Building regs for external door to garage

Posted 11th Dec 2019
Hi

Anyone have any experience if I need any building regs for putting in a new door to an integral garage. The garage will remain non inhabitable just want an external door (from the porch) instead of having to open the up and over door.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Maybe a fire door of at least 30 minute rating with smoke seals
I really wouldn’t bother going to building regs with such a small thing
Integral garage suggests to me there is something built on top and therefore any external door would be weaker supporting it so you would need something like an RSJ above that door. The building regs will provide the necessary info.
tardytortoise11/12/2019 15:22

Integral garage suggests to me there is something built on top and …Integral garage suggests to me there is something built on top and therefore any external door would be weaker supporting it so you would need something like an RSJ above that door. The building regs will provide the necessary info.

The bit connected to the porch has nothing above it. It's a bit weird but the garage sticks out like 1/3 from the house.
Ours had to be a fire door as previously mentioned.
Needs to be a fd30 with smoke seals and self closing device.
matthews947911/12/2019 17:20

Yeah, we had have this when we had one fitted.
Check for yourself but I think there needs to be a 100mm step down in to the garage. To act as a vapour trap.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 11th Dec 2019
ScubaDudes11/12/2019 19:18

Check for yourself but I think there needs to be a 100mm step down in to …Check for yourself but I think there needs to be a 100mm step down in to the garage. To act as a vapour trap.

Its incase of fuel spills and its ideal but not essential.
matthews947911/12/2019 17:20

Is this for an internal door? Not sure but mine will be external as it's inside the porch.
Correct paperwork can help when selling. If you don’t need their approval they’ll tell you. If you do they’ll charge a small fee, give advice and require you to follow it.
Jyuo11/12/2019 21:47

Is this for an internal door? Not sure but mine will be external as it's …Is this for an internal door? Not sure but mine will be external as it's inside the porch.

An internal fire door is designed to compartmentalise a section of a building in the event of a fire and protect an escape route for a minimum length of time.
An external fire door does not need to have fire resisting properties, and does not need to be kept closed.Its purpose is to enable the swift exit of people to safety.
You need a fire resistant door & frame.
just do it properly with a fire door, seal & decent triple hinges & lock, its added security on several levels.
If you don't do it properly you will struggle to sell your house. Fair enough you may not be thinking about that now but you will regret it when you do
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions