Found 10th Nov 2016
I recently submitted steel beam calculations from a structural engineer to my local authority. Within 72 hours they came around and inspected, verbally confirmed all OK and builder continued work. 7 days later I received that the structural calculations are unsatisfactory. I've been asked to 'provide labelled plan cross section drawings/sketches for the whole property to enable checking and verifying the adopted loadings. Because the sketch shown in the design calculations is inadequate.

It seems crazy to me and I'm unsure how to proceed

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

Speak to the Structural Engineer, he'll normally speak to Building Control to justify his design.

Original Poster Banned

developers

Speak to the Structural Engineer, he'll normally speak to Building … Speak to the Structural Engineer, he'll normally speak to Building Control to justify his design.

There's me running around like a headless chicken and you've made a great suggestion. The structural engineer lives at the top of my road and I spoke with him today. His suggestion was that he could charge me a further £500 for better sketches but stated an architect would charge much more and that his work wouldn't be to that level. I've had a supporting wall knocked down to an existing side extension. My structural engineer has always stated that his calculations are absolutely safe but your suggestion seems to be so sensible. Let him justify his workings and plans rather than pay for new ones. He did say that our council can be a finicky but I resent being verbally told all ok by the council then confirmed what was submitted is not. What was the purpose of a 48 hour time frame from submission to the inspection If not to look at the plans and for the inspector to verify the work is in accordance with the plans. And how does a verbal approval contradict the result.
Edited by: "cchopps" 10th Nov 2016

To be fair to the Council engineer sitting at a desk without seeing the property so they probably just want to clarify what the loading is on the steel.
Edited by: "developers" 10th Nov 2016

In short, communication breakdown!

Could you get the local authority inspectors who came round within 72 hours of submission to confirm what they said? What did they mean by OK? What was said and what you think they said and what they think they said could be 3 different things!

You also need to establish what quality standards the drawings/plans need to be before the council will consider. Calculations are one thing but proper drawings/plans are something else.

Its a long time now when I had something done. My builder knew exactly what was required but recommended an architect to draw up the plans. The architect, himself knew his structural stuff but recommended a structural engineer to add the professional touch. All money, well spent!

Original Poster Banned

A little bit after the Lord Mayor's show. Walls have been boarded and plastered. Unfortunately I was at work when council spoke to builder. I can only assume that when the builder told me all ok after inspection that it's legit. The only concern was how gat the steel was fitting on a wall but we did cover all that was required. It was a clear as daylight to me with extremely limited knowledge that if anything was going to be picked up it was easy to spot. The calculations I can only assume were correct. I still don't understand how I pay the council to inspect work which obviously needs to be the same as what was submitted, so,done come around from the council and approves it verbally then to be told in writing unsatisfactory

Probably a bit late now but for future reference you dont need to use council building inspectors you can use private company's

Original Poster Banned

ding

Probably a bit late now but for future reference you dont need to use … Probably a bit late now but for future reference you dont need to use council building inspectors you can use private company's

What's the deal for me now if I was to do that. Is there a rejected application associated with my property address? I have no intention on moving, but I trust any prospective buyer would get a survey made. Would it show on the survey?
Edited by: "cchopps" 10th Nov 2016

cchopps

A little bit after the Lord Mayor's show. Walls have been boarded and … A little bit after the Lord Mayor's show. Walls have been boarded and plastered. Unfortunately I was at work when council spoke to builder. I can only assume that when the builder told me all ok after inspection that it's legit. The only concern was how gat the steel was fitting on a wall but we did cover all that was required. It was a clear as daylight to me with extremely limited knowledge that if anything was going to be picked up it was easy to spot. The calculations I can only assume were correct. I still don't understand how I pay the council to inspect work which obviously needs to be the same as what was submitted, so,done come around from the council and approves it verbally then to be told in writing unsatisfactory

Now I am confused even more. At first, you said it was the local authority reps that came round and "confirmed all OK". Now you are saying, the builder told you all was OK.

I repeat - a communication breakdown. Sounds as if your builder has got it all wrong given that the subsequent written communication from the council contradicts what the builder thought. The builder has taken actions at his own risk. You have no option but to obey what the council has asked you to do and should any remedial work be required you will need to convince your builder that he does this at his cost.

Original Poster Banned

tardytortoise

Now I am confused even more. At first, you said it was the local … Now I am confused even more. At first, you said it was the local authority reps that came round and "confirmed all OK". Now you are saying, the builder told you all was OK.I repeat - a communication breakdown. Sounds as if your builder has got it all wrong given that the subsequent written communication from the council contradicts what the builder thought. The builder has taken actions at his own risk. You have no option but to obey what the council has asked you to do and should any remedial work be required you will need to convince your builder that he does this at his cost.

I was at work. The council guy came around and apparently told builder all was ok. I understand what you're saying. I can't fathom out why the builder would say all was ok when it wasn't unless it was a mistake. I am not a builder but both the builder and the steel beam engineer worked together and told me that it may be possible I would require a floor to ceiling pretrusion of brickwork. I understood this but I can only assume the council guy would have too. If the council guy said no and my builder lied to me that's an issue. I can't see why he would though as I was preparerd to have the floor to ceiling pretrusion. It would have been 'ugly' for me but of no consequence to the builder. I can see what's going to happen here. I'm going to be stuck with he said this and he said that.

speak to the buildings inspector again the same one u had out before the problem seems to be u submitting beam calculations when they probably weren't needed. a similar thing happened to a a builder friend of mine when he put a beam in a building inspector said nothing but later on some friends of the guy who he was working for started saying to the guy whose property it was that the beams not the correct size and stuff so he being a bit slow asked the buildings inspector next time he came around and buildings inspector turn around and said I will need to see the calculations know I know that the beam is adequate but what am I supposed to put in the report as you've asked me this question so then after a long argument between builder whom insisted it was all ok but seen as customer asked too much. The customer ended up getting a architect to put the calculations to paper before the council said on everything is fine. This maybe the case but if you have already paid for this calculations to be out down I don't see why u need pay again he clearly hasn't done a good enough job in the first place the buildings surveyor so should be doing it for free.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Will iPad 2 iOS update slows it down?33
    2. Best Way to Cook Pheasant Breasts?11
    3. PayPal Friends and Family Payment reversal options43
    4. Whey protien635

See more discussions