Building Site Noise

Found 9th Mar
Just after a bit of advice, if anyone can help. We live on a small street. At the top of the street is a large plot of land, which a developer has decided to put 60+ dwellings on (no problem with that). My issue is, at the minute , they are delivering lots of huge earth moving equipment, deliveries of pebbles, removal of soil etc, and this is happening all day every day. Now I work nights, and realise I can't do anything about this happening throughout the day. But they are starting as early as 06.30 most mornings, so even on my day off I can't get any sleep. This morning they delivered a staggeringly huge piling machine at 06.45, but the site wasn't ready, so the huge truck it was delivered on sat straight outside my house with the engine running for an hour. Is this allowed? I've tried googling for info but cannot find any hard and fast laws that they are breaking. Any advice would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Richard_Richard2 m ago

Prohibited before …Prohibited before 7am.http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/business-and-industry/guidelines/noise-guidance/residential-construction

In Victoria, Australia
Should not be allowed before 8am I believe, you need to contact you local council
RuudBullit3 m ago

In Victoria, Australia

Lol yeah I realised after!

ukcontractors.net/bui…ea/

Seems to vary based on local councils, get in touch with your local for advice on it, heavy machinery before 7am doesn't sound right to me.
Richard_Richard3 m ago

Lol yeah I realised …Lol yeah I realised after!http://www.ukcontractors.net/builders-uk-is-there-a-set-time-builders-are-allowed-to-work-in-a-residential-area/Seems to vary based on local councils, get in touch with your local for advice on it, heavy machinery before 7am doesn't sound right to me.

I think I may have to. I was hoping to be able to find something solid that they were doing wrong, a stick to poke the council with, as it were, as I've dealt with Rotherham council before, and unless forced to, they are seriously inept at dealing with issues.
Council workers respond to Councillors as though they are Gods (unfortunately). Encourage/annoy your councilor into helping. The best way is usually to email something that they can forward to a dept. The easier you make it for them to help you, the more likely you are to get a result
Leaving an engine idling is an offence. ... The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road." And doing this can incur a £20 fixed-penalty fine under the Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations 2002 ...16 Oct 2014
Parked up? Engine running? Lawbreaker! - Confused.com
In most municipalities, the construction hours are from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Check with your building department to be sure.

Environmental Health are the people. Your local council should have a link online. Usually speaking to the neighbour and/or builder solves the problem

"Where residential dwellings are likely to be affected by noise, the hours of noisy works must be restricted to:-

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Saturday: 8am to 1pm
Sunday and bank holidays: no noisy activities on site

Instructions should be given to ensure that vehicles and plant arriving at and leaving the site comply with the stated hours of work. "
chocci2 m ago

In most municipalities, the construction hours are from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 …In most municipalities, the construction hours are from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Check with your building department to be sure. Environmental Health are the people. Your local council should have a link online. Usually speaking to the neighbour and/or builder solves the problem"Where residential dwellings are likely to be affected by noise, the hours of noisy works must be restricted to:-Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pmSaturday: 8am to 1pmSunday and bank holidays: no noisy activities on siteInstructions should be given to ensure that vehicles and plant arriving at and leaving the site comply with the stated hours of work. "

I've seen this post when searching myself, but cannot find the actual legislation that it is referring to. The control of pollution act 1974 deals with noise pollution, but I can't find anywhere in it where times are specified.
Check out the planning permission and conditions on your local council web site it might state start and finnish times
You won’t find it written down because there are no hard rules just guidance like a lot of these regulations. Manchester council noise regs say that between 7:30 until 6 pm for noise that can be heard outside the site boundary should be restricted. But yours may be different so google yourcouncils planning and noise technical guidance.

for a few events it’s unlikely anything will be done. Your best bet is to speak to the site manager and tell them what’s happened with the noise times.
Sorry mate. I feel your pain as I also work nights. But you don't have an argument. I would be asking friends or family if they have a bed you can borrow for a few weeks. Once the ground works done it should get quieter but there will be a lot of delivery's of bricks, blocks etc.
I'm in same boat mate, next to me plot land getting I work night finish @ 5am I get woken up @ 7am
RuudBullit3 h, 4 m ago

I've seen this post when searching myself, but cannot find the actual …I've seen this post when searching myself, but cannot find the actual legislation that it is referring to. The control of pollution act 1974 deals with noise pollution, but I can't find anywhere in it where times are specified.

Demolition and Construction Work

Legislation governing the above is contained principally in the following acts:-

- Control of Pollution Act 1974, Section 60 (noise from construction sites)

• East Sussex Act 1981(dust from construction sites)
  • Environmental Protection Act 1990, Section 80 (Statutory Nuisance)

The Code of Practice BS 5228 : 1997 Noise Control on Construction and Open Sites provides specific detail on suitable noise mitigation measures, copies of which can be obtained through the Blackwells Bookshop, University of Brighton, Lewes Road, Brighton (tel: 01273 571974).

The attached shedule should prove useful in minimising nuisance and other problems encountered during the demolition and/or construction works.

SCHEDULE

(1)All works and ancillary operations of a noisy nature shall be carried out only between the hours of 7.00 a.m. - 7.00 p.m. on Monday to Fridays and between the hours of 8.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m. on Saturdays and at no time on Sundays and Bank Holidays. (Subject to discussion with the Environmental Health Department)

(2)The best practicable means, as defined in section 72 of the Control of Pollution Act 1974, to reduce noise to a minimum shall be employed at all times.

(3)The applicant shall at all times have regard to the recommendations given in B.S.5228 Noise Control on Construction and Open Sites and shall ensure that these are brought to the attention of the Contractor. In particular the contractor shall comply with the following requirements:-

(a)All vehicles and mechanical plant used for the purpose of the Works shallbe fitted with effective exhaust silencers.

(b)All compressors shall be ''sound reduced'' models fitted with properly-lined and sealed acoustic covers which shall be kept closed whenever the machines are in use, and all ancillary pneumatic percussion tools shall be fitted with mufflers or silencers of a type recommended by the manufacturers.

(c)Machines in intermittent use shall be shut down in the intervening periods between work or, where this is impractical, shall be throttled to a minimum.

(d)All plant and machinery shall be maintained in good and efficient working order.

(e)Stationary plant is to be sited away from any noise-sensitive areas where practicable and any plant known to emit noise strongly in one direction shall be orientated so that the noise is directed away from such areas.

(f)No plant shall be left running outside the normal working hours specifiedin paragraph (1) above, without the prior consent of the Strategic Director of Environment and Housing.

(4)The terms and conditions of this consent shall be without prejudice to any duty imposed on the applicant by law and in particular by the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Provide, fix and maintain suitable screens or awnings to screen the building and scaffold so as to effectively minimise dust and debris from falling or being blown over the boundaries. Provide, maintain and use a supply of water and means of dispensing it, to dampen dust in order to minimise its emission from the premises.

Do not permit the sweeping of any dust or dusty material without effectively treating it with water or other substance in order to minimise its emission from the premises.

Provide and use suitably covered skips and enclosed chutes, or take other suitable measures in order to minimise dust emission to the atmosphere when materials and waste are removed from the premises.

All skips used for the storage of waste shall be kept covered so far as is reasonably practicable.

Before the commencement of the works the applicant should provide publicity to the residents of the neighbour in a manner approved by the Local Authority.
Special consideration should be given when dealing with asbestos. Licensed contractors should be employed to remove all types of asbestos, except asbestos sheet cement. This should be removed following HSE (Tel: 01342 334200) guideleines, including dampening down the area, removal of whole sheets, not using power tools for cutting, double wrapping of waste and disposal at licensed sites. Details of licensed sites can be provided by the Local Authority.
The Environment Agency (Tel: 01903 820692) must be notified three working days prior to the movement of any asbestos weighing over 10kgs.
just looked at my party wall agreement when they built a block of flats next to my house in london and it stated that work can only be carried out between the hours of 8.00am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

this may not include deliveries, which could be outside these hours, i mean earlier like you mentioned 6.45am?
Earplugs and good double glazing help me after night shifts however it does get hot in summer
From a slightly different perspective. Working in logistics we sometimes get the notices from the EHO via the council. Resident complains then we receive letter to say more or less say look into this and cease or put procedures in place (provide them evidence we have).
If the resident(s) have evidence (video's and logs of occurances), the EHO investigate (which can take a while) then serve us notice of compliance if not fine. Here in N.Ireland we are 7am. From working night before myself as well, heavy curtains also help.
Though as others have said, the vehicle idling on a main road and not the site the EHO will advise going through the Police, so best you use both prongs with general noise from the traffic and unloading to the EHO and the Police of the excessive idling.
On the excessive idling mind you a call to the suppliers traffic office should sort that straight away, most will have telematics showing excessive idling time which costs the firm a small fortune on fuel usage.
It depends on whether any restrictions on deliveries to sites were placed in the planning application or not. You should video the vehicles as evidence with the sound and then send it into the council.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants