Building survey

Posted 26th Sep
Hi, I am trying to get a building survey (as the house condition could do with some work) done on a house that I am buying.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations, based in London.

First time buyer, so pretty clueless on how these work.

E.g., what cost are we looking at and what can we expect. I have done some reading but would be useful to get opinions from people who have been through it.
Community Updates

Groups

3 Comments
I paid £300 + vat for a RICS homebuyers report and valuation (6 years ago). It was pretty comprehensive, although riddled with 'get out' clauses, which would prevent you taking legal action against the surveyor, should you feel the need.
I did telephone the surveyor after I received the report to query a couple of items, and ended up having a chat about the property, where he told me a few things that he probably wouldn't want to put into writing.
The report had a list of items and they were scored 1,2 or 3. Meaning no issue, slight problem or big problem (or the other way around - can't remember without looking it up). There were some photos too.

Fairly straight forward and well worth having.
Pandamansays27/09/2019 00:34

I paid £300 + vat for a RICS homebuyers report and valuation (6 years …I paid £300 + vat for a RICS homebuyers report and valuation (6 years ago). It was pretty comprehensive, although riddled with 'get out' clauses, which would prevent you taking legal action against the surveyor, should you feel the need.I did telephone the surveyor after I received the report to query a couple of items, and ended up having a chat about the property, where he told me a few things that he probably wouldn't want to put into writing.The report had a list of items and they were scored 1,2 or 3. Meaning no issue, slight problem or big problem (or the other way around - can't remember without looking it up). There were some photos too.Fairly straight forward and well worth having.

That sounds a lot less to quotes I been getting but then you did do it 6 years ago Agree that its worth having, btw, it probably be a different case back then but I been reading reviews and it seems that once the surveyor has given you the report they stop giving you services according to all reviews I have check - did you just get lucky or did the surveyor took the time to talk to you after the report was handed.
Total waste of time, get a builder to go and look, they will tell you how it is and will be cheaper also without being sketchy about any problems and also give you some realistic prices to fix anything thats wrong.
In my experience like pandamansays above the surveyors are always riddled with get out clauses because they dont know what they are talking about.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants