Groups

built in laptop wifi module compatibility HELP for REP

i have a compaq f500 and theirs a problem with the built in wifi. the light stays orange which means its of even when i move the switch either side. ive looked online and it seems to be a issue with most compaq f500's.

im thinking it could be the wifi module so will try my other laptops one but first i want to see if its possible to switch them around and just install the device driver for it.

are these mini pci wifi modules compatible with other laptops or are they specific?

16 Comments

Original Poster

its one of these if anyones wondering

http://www.laptopking.com/boards/959680.jpg

A lot of manufacturers lock their computers to only accept certain models of wireless cards (this is for reasons of CE approval, I think). So if both laptops are the same make there should be no problem. If they are not the same, it may or may not work.

There are mini pci-express and mini-pci (pre 2007 laptops) cards. They look different and will only fit into their appropriate slots.

http://i.dell.com/images/global/topics/vectors/2004_pcie_009.gif

Original Poster

oh. i was thinking of taking out the one from my dell but its abit smaller. if i find one thats the right size would it damage my laptop if i put it in and it doesnt work?

ALICOM007;6014271

oh. i was thinking of taking out the one from my dell but its abit … oh. i was thinking of taking out the one from my dell but its abit smaller. if i find one thats the right size would it damage my laptop if i put it in and it doesnt work?

No, not if you are careful. Always ground yourself before touching electronic components (ie: touch the radiator on the wall with both hands for a second).

Original Poster

ok so basically i put it in my laptop and it either works or it doesnt right and obviously after i install the driver.

ALICOM007;6014419

ok so basically i put it in my laptop and it either works or it doesnt … ok so basically i put it in my laptop and it either works or it doesnt right and obviously after i install the driver.

Correct.

Can you please type out the part/model number printed on the label on the back of your laptop.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;6014435

Correct.

thanks have some rep. ill get the part number now.

its gh835ea#abu

ALICOM007;6014447

thanks have some rep. ill get the part number now.its gh835ea#abu

]Click here to determine if your notebook is eligible for a free repair.

The following symptoms apply to Compaq Presario F500 notebooks:
    - The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
    - There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
    - The notebook turns on, power LEDs light up, but nothing is seen on the display.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;6014524

]Click here to determine if your notebook is eligible for a free repair.

i saw that earlier on. this laptop is over 2 years old so i doubt its eligable for a free repair.

ALICOM007;6014540

i saw that earlier on. this laptop is over 2 years old so i doubt its … i saw that earlier on. this laptop is over 2 years old so i doubt its eligable for a free repair.

Never assume anything.

Call this number tomorrow 020 794 90300.

Tell the lady that answers that you would like to speak to customer relations. Be polite, but persistent.
    If it falls within the part/serial number ranges of one of their extension programs there is a very good (read 99%) chance they will collect and repair free of charge.

In 2007 we took about 4 to 5 HP laptops in for repair, per week. All of them had faulty motherboards. Common symptom was that the wireless LAN card was not detected. Go figure. ;-)

Original Poster

SUMMONER;6014586

Never assume anything.Call this number tomorrow 020 794 90300. Tell the … Never assume anything.Call this number tomorrow 020 794 90300. Tell the lady that answers that you would like to speak to customer relations. Be polite, but persistent.If it falls within the part/serial number ranges there is a very good chance they will collect and repair free of charge.In 2007 we took about 5-6 HP laptops in for repair, per week. All of them had faulty motherboards. Common symptom was that the wireless LAN card was not detected. Go figure. ;-)

nice one. :thumbsup:

free number as well the hp website has the 0870 one which costs a fortune/

Original Poster

gave them a call and the product number is not eligable.

any other ways to fix this?

dcx_badass;6016816

USB wifi dongle?

Absolutely, but for convenience it might be better to try the card from another computer first and if that makes work buy a new card for £5-10 (also if this is a 2006/2007 made computer I would bet it to be the motherboard that is faulty. Meaning another internal wireless card will not work).

ALICOM007;6016669

gave them a call and the product number is not eligable.any other ways to … gave them a call and the product number is not eligable.any other ways to fix this?

Personally I would keep pressuring HP (from experience I can say that persistence pays, when talking to the HP reps. Keep telling them that is not good enough and that you didn't buy some Mickey Mouse brand, but and HP/Compaq computer and hence expect better service than that.).

From a legal point of view however you should go back to the retailer and demand that they mend the fault free of charge. Print out the news article and the list with laptop models that are included in the warranty extension.
    Tell them that the laptop has not lasted long enough and that the fault matches the fault description in the warranty extension.

Original Poster

i will give them a call again as it seems everytim i call there is a different response.

ALICOM007;6019850

i will give them a call again as it seems everytim i call there is a … i will give them a call again as it seems everytim i call there is a different response.

Don't be afraid to ask to speak to supervisors or managers. Also remember that their engineers will always say no, since it is out of warranty. This is not a technical issue, it is a customer services issue.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. FREE Odeon cinema ticket45
      2. WONGA REFUNDS DUE2121028
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767502
      4. Cat Chat77752

See more discussions