Burger King considering bringing meat-free impossible burger offer to UK

Posted 8th Apr
Thought this was pretty interesting that Burger King are deciding to step up to the plate, and offer the impossible burger en-masse.

3211194-dwU3z.jpg(Via the caterer)

The offering was originally launched earlier this week as a trial in St Louis, Missouri. The meatless burger, designed by Californian company Impossible Foods, uses genetically modified yeast to create heme – a molecule strongly present in meat – which is then added to their vegan product to make it more similar to meat.

However, following a successful first phase, the meatless burger is expected to spread across Burger King sites – including the UK where the firm is exploring its options with regards to a similar offering.

A spokesperson from the firm said: “Following the launch of our meat-free whopper trial in the US, we know there is a huge appetite for alternative options to meat here in the UK. We are currently exploring opportunities to bring a meat-free burger to the UK.”

-Surely an interesting choice for vegans and those who are interested in the progress science is making with this meat alternative.

What are your thoughts? if it tasted the same would you eat an impossible whopper instead?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
If it's vegan why make it taste like meat? I've never understood that logic.
Wouldn't touch anything that's been modified in a lab anyway.
Vegans are not real people.
They're just part of a Government experiment to replace real people with clones.
Don't fall for the conspiracy
jaketheplumber08/04/2019 15:10

If it's vegan why make it taste like meat? I've never understood that …If it's vegan why make it taste like meat? I've never understood that logic.

Surely that's obvious.

Because there are plenty of veggies and vegans who were formerly meat eaters but who miss the taste.
Edited by: "spoo" 8th Apr
spoo08/04/2019 15:27

Surely that's obvious.Because there are plenty of veggies and vegans who …Surely that's obvious.Because there are plenty of veggies and vegans who were formerly meat eaters but who miss the taste.

So they won't eat animals for ethical reasons but still enjoy the taste? That's even more cockeyed logic, sounds like a moral compass that's gone a little bit askew.
20 Comments
If it's vegan why make it taste like meat? I've never understood that logic.
Wouldn't touch anything that's been modified in a lab anyway.
jaketheplumber08/04/2019 15:10

If it's vegan why make it taste like meat? I've never understood that …If it's vegan why make it taste like meat? I've never understood that logic.

Surely that's obvious.

Because there are plenty of veggies and vegans who were formerly meat eaters but who miss the taste.
Edited by: "spoo" 8th Apr
Day one purchase.
When will KFC bring ‘on the bone’ vegan chicken out?!
spoo08/04/2019 15:27

Surely that's obvious.Because there are plenty of veggies and vegans who …Surely that's obvious.Because there are plenty of veggies and vegans who were formerly meat eaters but who miss the taste.

So they won't eat animals for ethical reasons but still enjoy the taste? That's even more cockeyed logic, sounds like a moral compass that's gone a little bit askew.
jaketheplumber08/04/2019 15:53

So they won't eat animals for ethical reasons but still enjoy the taste? …So they won't eat animals for ethical reasons but still enjoy the taste? That's even more cockeyed logic, sounds like a moral compass that's gone a little bit askew.

The majority are the usual snowflakes which says it all!
Vegans are not real people.
They're just part of a Government experiment to replace real people with clones.
Don't fall for the conspiracy
Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell08/04/2019 17:19

Vegans are not real people.They're just part of a Government experiment to …Vegans are not real people.They're just part of a Government experiment to replace real people with clones.Don't fall for the conspiracy

37422700-d6VJd.jpg
Some free thinking intellectuals in this thread, I see.
When will we see the Free meat impossible burger then ?
I happen to be a vegetarian, I tried the Greggs vegan sausage rolls, they were pretty bland imho, this burger looks naff to me lol.
I stopped reading at genetically modified.
Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell19 h, 18 m ago

Vegans are not real people.They're just part of a Government experiment to …Vegans are not real people.They're just part of a Government experiment to replace real people with clones.Don't fall for the conspiracy

I think you are right.
My brother was a right A*** hole before he announced he was vegan.
Now he is nice and polite.
His wife and kids are nice to. ( Damn its spreading )
Its the pod people all over again.
MrAlbert4 h, 53 m ago

I stopped reading at genetically modified.

If you'd carried on reading you'd have realised the burger isn't genetically modified, only a yeast that is used to make one of the ingredients.

sciblogs.co.nz/cod…ed/
jaketheplumber08/04/2019 15:53

So they won't eat animals for ethical reasons but still enjoy the taste? …So they won't eat animals for ethical reasons but still enjoy the taste? That's even more cockeyed logic, sounds like a moral compass that's gone a little bit askew.

How is that skewed logic? The morality here is the lack of slaughter of animals. Taste has nothing to do with the morality side of this debate.

And when talking about skewed moral compasses, most meat eaters are against animal cruelty
PhilKelix219 h, 11 m ago

How is that skewed logic? The morality here is the lack of slaughter of …How is that skewed logic? The morality here is the lack of slaughter of animals. Taste has nothing to do with the morality side of this debate.And when talking about skewed moral compasses, most meat eaters are against animal cruelty

I didn't really understand the morality part of his comment either.

However reasonable discussion isn't allowed on this website.
Leave Burger King, KFC etc etc to us meat eaters, if you want your vegan garbage then open your own salad bar.
If you don't want to eat meat that is fine, but stop pretending to eat it.
Humphman11/04/2019 16:24

Leave Burger King, KFC etc etc to us meat eaters, if you want your vegan …Leave Burger King, KFC etc etc to us meat eaters, if you want your vegan garbage then open your own salad bar. If you don't want to eat meat that is fine, but stop pretending to eat it.

Strange to get this emotional over a burger.
jaketheplumber8th Apr

If it's vegan why make it taste like meat? I've never understood that …If it's vegan why make it taste like meat? I've never understood that logic.Wouldn't touch anything that's been modified in a lab anyway.

For me, It's because I like burgers but would prefer less death involved.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions