Burglar Alarm room sensors have been individually set off on different days- Could be spiders/moths/flies. Prevention ideas?

Posted 9th Oct
Hi,

So the other week a downstairs sensor in the lounge triggered whilst I was out and it sounded the burglar alarm. I later went around all the sensors and smeared new vaseline around the outside alarm sensor windows.

However the upstairs landing sensor got recently triggered and none of the others. I did see a small cobweb higher up the wall above the sensor and have gently brushed it away.

Is it just bad luck that over around past month my alarm has been triggered around 3 times? Each time being a different sensor being the culprit. The first 2 times was the sensors in the lounge; individually (not both together) at different times on different days and before I went around smearing new vaseline around the sensors again. I was careful not to smear the vaseline over the sensor window bit.

Due to the latest incident I have received an anomynous note saying the alarm went off in the middle of the night. I was away at the time so couldn't turn the alarm off. It must had sounded for the 20-30 minutes as they do and cut out. Obviously annoying for the neighbours. I'll put an apology note through their doors in due course.

The alarm system has recently had a walk through and everything was functioning as expected. I could get another one done but if it is spiders being in mating season setting off the a different sensor on different days; what else can I do apart from brush away any cobwebs I see? Even then a spider can produce a new web in a few hours when nobody is home.

Timer lights are used in different rooms but it is probably not a good idea to have rooms pitch black where there are alarm sensors when not home. Such as the lounge.

I found vintechnology.com/201…ff/. Seems a bit excessive to have to put automated citrus room fresheners plugged in where there are alarm sensors. Would probably cost quite a bit too.

Another option is trying those plug in fly and spider repellent devices. Just seems a bit cruel to exclude the spiders from sharing the home. Although I can do without the neighbours getting angry.

If it was the same sensor triggering the alarm then it could have a fault. Due to it being different ones in different locations; I am of the opinion of it being spiders or moths or flies.

The alarm could be turned off but....

I can't be the only person this has happened/is happening to. Any sensible suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Spider season now so it’s going to get worse 🕷🕷
The alarm may be useless now, the neighbours will just assume it's a false alarm and ignore it.
You could get a camera that can be set to alert you when it hears sound (the alarm going off)
Can the system be changed to a remote alert
The camera that can alert you to motion or sound (or both) is only £25 on Amazon
amazon.co.uk/gp/…tle
Take the covers off the sensors and gently hoover with a small handheld Hoover. Also keep dusting each day. You may also be able to configure you sensors to operate on a delay .ie. only go off after 5 seconds of movement. That may improve things if it has that ability.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Oct
Garlic
Ghosts
Cheers everyone.

Being a bit irritated by it last night I did an online search session late at night. Looked at smart alarms- quite expensive with monthly contracts like Verisure.

Did some more online searching and came across spiders and insects not liking peppermint the most. People have made a spray with a few (think it said 5 or 6 drops) of peppermint oil in a spray bottle with a drop of washing liquid and a bit of water). Apparently if you spray it around once a week it should mean are little friends no longer take a liking to the area which has been sprayed.

I've ordered this for £1.99 amazon.co.uk/10m…-24

to make a spray and will try it out.

Apparently they are not supposed to like cedar and citrus as well. Somewhere said peppermint is the most effective.

Someone commented they put lavender plants at the front and rear of their property too.
Sound like you need to replace whatever sensors you have with decent ones.

Look for dual technology sensors security.honeywell.com/uk/…ave
Check that the cable entry holes in each detector has been filled in with silicone so no nasties can get inside.
mas9910/10/2019 11:59

Sound like you need to replace whatever sensors you have with decent …Sound like you need to replace whatever sensors you have with decent ones.Look for dual technology sensors https://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/All-Categories/intruder-detection-systems/sensors/dual-tec-pir-microwave

Thanks. Would I be right to assume PIRs are universal and it will be case of turning off the alarm system; unwiring the existing ones and then installing the new PIRs?

I am unsure if the existing PIR sensors are the same make as the current system. It is a Scantronic alarm system which was already installed in the property.

ashmac09/10/2019 23:55

Spider season now so it’s going to get worse 🕷🕷

I suppose all I can do it try my best to minimise the risk of false alarms. They may still occur. Peppermint oil has been ordered and I am going to look into replacement PIR sensors as @mas99 has suggested.

@cmdr_elito Thanks I shall look into how to remove the cover without breaking it.

@StonkwellBogtrotter Peppermint was listed as a great deterrent I have been looking to get a garlic press for cooking purposes. Haven't encountered any vampires around here as far as I know!

@adeljay92 Maybe I should leave the original Ghostbusters on repeat?

@Vencurse Haven't been up in the loft for a while. The hatch hooks still look secure.

@esar I was actually having a look at that very camera about a week ago when a couple of other camera deals were posted. I think most neighbours probably do just ignore burglar alarms. Especially in cities. I do want to get CCTV installed which may be more of a deterrent than an alarm system.
thetarget10/10/2019 13:27

Thanks. Would I be right to assume PIRs are universal and it will be case …Thanks. Would I be right to assume PIRs are universal and it will be case of turning off the alarm system; unwiring the existing ones and then installing the new PIRs?

diy-alarms.co.uk/psc…=19
Mine was going off for a long time so I binned it and now have one that rings my mobile
also I changed my settings so it only goes off for 2 minutes
my yale alarm was giving false alarms and I reset it and changed all the batteries and that cured it
What's the vaseline for?
deeky10/10/2019 19:39

What's the vaseline for?

Maybe for your upcoming Xmas competition

If it is meant as a serious question. It is advised to spread vaseline or I think you can spray teflon around the edges of the PIR sensor plastic surround of the sensor window. It is supposed to stop insects and spiders from crawling over the PIR sensors. Didn't work for me this time but maybe I didn't spread enough around the particular PIR which triggered the alarm this time. Although with a spider web above, the spider could have just dangled down and not crawled over the actual PIR.
At least my system hasn't gone off every day or more than once per day. I think it has been a couple of weeks since it last went off with a false alarm.

I think I will try the peppermint spray and see how that goes. Otherwise I may well invest in new PIR sensors if the new dual tech ones do as they are supposed to and avoid false alarms from spiders and insects. If people are still getting false alarms with the dual tech sensors then I will have to rethink what to do. That is my plan of action unless something new pops up in the thread and appears to be a better solution to try first.

@snoopy18 Which alarm system to did opt for with the mobile alerts?
thetarget10/10/2019 22:01

At least my system hasn't gone off every day or more than once per day. …At least my system hasn't gone off every day or more than once per day. I think it has been a couple of weeks since it last went off with a false alarm.I think I will try the peppermint spray and see how that goes. Otherwise I may well invest in new PIR sensors if the new dual tech ones do as they are supposed to and avoid false alarms from spiders and insects. If people are still getting false alarms with the dual tech sensors then I will have to rethink what to do. That is my plan of action unless something new pops up in the thread and appears to be a better solution to try first.@snoopy18 Which alarm system to did opt for with the mobile alerts?

Yale 6300
thetarget10/10/2019 21:57

Maybe for your upcoming Xmas competition If it is meant as a …Maybe for your upcoming Xmas competition If it is meant as a serious question. It is advised to spread vaseline or I think you can spray teflon around the edges of the PIR sensor plastic surround of the sensor window. It is supposed to stop insects and spiders from crawling over the PIR sensors. Didn't work for me this time but maybe I didn't spread enough around the particular PIR which triggered the alarm this time. Although with a spider web above, the spider could have just dangled down and not crawled over the actual PIR.

Ah, I didn't know that. I don't get enough false alarms to worry about it.
Long shot, but can any of the pir sensors "see" a radiator, a cold radiator filling with hot water, could look like motion to it?
esar11/10/2019 07:24

Long shot, but can any of the pir sensors "see" a radiator, a cold …Long shot, but can any of the pir sensors "see" a radiator, a cold radiator filling with hot water, could look like motion to it?

Wouldn't the metal and paint block the movement of water? Unless there is a new fashionable trend I was not aware of, for clear and see through radiators?!
thetarget11/10/2019 07:46

Wouldn't the metal and paint block the movement of water? Unless there is …Wouldn't the metal and paint block the movement of water? Unless there is a new fashionable trend I was not aware of, for clear and see through radiators?!

This is what a our sees when a radiator comes on in its view
@esar Do you get false alarms or do you think the heat change is happening too gradually and the PIR does not sound the alarm? I have read some PIR sensors are pet friendly and are safe up to quite a fair number of kilograms. Perhaps the movement has to be a bigger object movement shift for the PIR to be interested. The water going around the radiator at a steady flow. Perhaps if there was a big shift of hot water suddenly entering the radiator and filling it up in a split second the PIR may be more interested? Just my own thoughts.
thetarget11/10/2019 12:56

@esar Do you get false alarms or do you think the heat change is happening …@esar Do you get false alarms or do you think the heat change is happening too gradually and the PIR does not sound the alarm? I have read some PIR sensors are pet friendly and are safe up to quite a fair number of kilograms. Perhaps the movement has to be a bigger object movement shift for the PIR to be interested. The water going around the radiator at a steady flow. Perhaps if there was a big shift of hot water suddenly entering the radiator and filling it up in a split second the PIR may be more interested? Just my own thoughts.

Yes, I see your point, the interwebs says power supplies can cause problems and radio interference
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants