Expired

Burning PS1 Games

Found 1st Oct 2014
I have found a chipped PS1 in my loft and I thought that I would try to download and then burn some games to disc. However when I try them they spin for about 1 sec but then stop and it goes to the main PlayStation screen (where it gives you the option of viewing memory cards etc...)

I have watched YouTube videos on this and I have been using "img burn" and using the (.CUE) file so I really don't see what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas???

32 Comments

it's been years since I've done it but I seem to remember you use a boot disc.
so you load the boot disc then pop in your copy

Original Poster

stefromuk

it's been years since I've done it but I seem to remember you use a boot … it's been years since I've done it but I seem to remember you use a boot disc. so you load the boot disc then pop in your copy

ahh no that's if the console isn't chipped but this one is so it should just play them.

Such a long time since I burnt ps1 games. I think cdrwin was the best software for it.

Original Poster

orangebastage

Such a long time since I burnt ps1 games. I think cdrwin was the best … Such a long time since I burnt ps1 games. I think cdrwin was the best software for it.

I just can't see what I'm doing wrong

What make of discs are you using?. I used to use Ritek G05 discs with good results.

You will always get a few coasters from 100 discs.

Just having a think about it all there. Cdrwin was definitely my fave software for burning. Always had problems with Nero, discjuggler and others from back then. You shouldn't have more than one or two duff discs per 100.

Does it still play original games ? Also is the media you're burning to compatible with the laser. Certain lasers are funny about the dyes used in the cdr. Have you any old backups to check if the mod chip still works.
Burn some music to a cdr and see if it plays back. P.S. Hope you haven't been burning to DVDs by accident.

markvirgo

What make of discs are you using?. I used to use Ritek G05 discs with … What make of discs are you using?. I used to use Ritek G05 discs with good results.You will always get a few coasters from 100 discs.

Aren't they DVDs not CDRs ?

Original Poster

orangebastage

Just having a think about it all there. Cdrwin was definitely my fave … Just having a think about it all there. Cdrwin was definitely my fave software for burning. Always had problems with Nero, discjuggler and others from back then. You shouldn't have more than one or two duff discs per 100.

I have burned 5 discs and not even 1 worked

Original Poster

kester76

Aren't they DVDs not CDRs ?

yeh. are you sure because there DVD's

Original Poster

kester76

Does it still play original games ? Also is the media you're burning to … Does it still play original games ? Also is the media you're burning to compatible with the laser. Certain lasers are funny about the dyes used in the cdr. Have you any old backups to check if the mod chip still works.Burn some music to a cdr and see if it plays back. P.S. Hope you haven't been burning to DVDs by accident.

Yes it plays original games and my old back ups... and I have been using "Polaroid CD-R" what disc make would you suggest ???

CDRWIN and Nero were the best 2 for burning PS1 discs. Make sure you have the IMG and CUE files together though or an ISO on its own. Something else springs to mind about mode 2 with CDRWIN but I can't remember :P

I used to use the Medion CD's from Aldi, they were perfect for the job.

Don't use DVD's either.

Should you not be using the .bin file ?

Original Poster

Dominatez

Should you not be using the .bin file ?

No I don't think ImgBurn lets you burn that .BIN file... It tells you that you need to use the .CUE

Original Poster

Steve Mac

CDRWIN and Nero were the best 2 for burning PS1 discs. Make sure you have … CDRWIN and Nero were the best 2 for burning PS1 discs. Make sure you have the IMG and CUE files together though or an ISO on its own. Something else springs to mind about mode 2 with CDRWIN but I can't remember :PI used to use the Medion CD's from Aldi, they were perfect for the job.Don't use DVD's either.

Really? because everyone keeps telling me that you have to buy the top brands such as Verbatim and JVC.

Claydon94

No I don't think ImgBurn lets you burn that .BIN file... It tells you … No I don't think ImgBurn lets you burn that .BIN file... It tells you that you need to use the .CUE

The cue file will burn the bin file alongside it if I remember correctly.

Claydon94

Really? because everyone keeps telling me that you have to buy the top … Really? because everyone keeps telling me that you have to buy the top brands such as Verbatim and JVC.

I used plenty of discs, Tevion, TDK, Tesco etc... Never had a problem.

The Bin file is raw data and the Cue file is the disc layout, see this.
You only need to load the cue file in image burn as it points to the bin file

Original Poster

It must be the disc I'm using... I've tried a load of Burt audio CD's and certain brands font spin properly just the same...

Original Poster

Claydon94

It must be the disc I'm using... I've tried a load of Burnt audio CD's … It must be the disc I'm using... I've tried a load of Burnt audio CD's and certain brands wont spin properly just the same...

Claydon94

It must be the disc I'm using... I've tried a load of Burt audio CD's and … It must be the disc I'm using... I've tried a load of Burt audio CD's and certain brands font spin properly just the same...

Pop to a supermarket or poundland and get some cheap CD-R's. Good luck anyway, I used to enjoy the days of copying and buying games from a mates uncle months before they were in the shop but nowadays it's all emulation.

Original Poster

I have tried Signalex (poundland) and Polaroid (ASDA).

Original Poster

Claydon94

I have tried Signalex (poundland) and Polaroid (ASDA).

Both don't work... I've heard that TDK and Verb work everytime.

Claydon94

Both don't work... I've heard that TDK and Verb work everytime.

Are you sure it's not the way you are burning the disc? Write speed too high? Mode 1 or 2?

Look up a guide for copying discs with CDRwin or whatever you are using.

Original Poster

Steve Mac

Are you sure it's not the way you are burning the disc? Write speed too … Are you sure it's not the way you are burning the disc? Write speed too high? Mode 1 or 2?Look up a guide for copying discs with CDRwin or whatever you are using.

I've looked at over 10 guides now and I have tried many things.... its gotta be the disc brand.

Claydon94

I've looked at over 10 guides now and I have tried many things.... its … I've looked at over 10 guides now and I have tried many things.... its gotta be the disc brand.

Really? I don't know how, lower the write speed maybe? I promise you I've used all manner of cheapo discs, even EMtec and all worked. If you have a PC it might be worth just using an emulator.

Original Poster

Steve Mac

Really? I don't know how, lower the write speed maybe? I promise you I've … Really? I don't know how, lower the write speed maybe? I promise you I've used all manner of cheapo discs, even EMtec and all worked. If you have a PC it might be worth just using an emulator.

It has to be the discs because I burned some songs to on of those discs and the media player on the console wouldn't even play them and I have already got an emulater..... Its just not the same mate.

Claydon94

It has to be the discs because I burned some songs to on of those discs … It has to be the discs because I burned some songs to on of those discs and the media player on the console wouldn't even play them and I have already got an emulater..... Its just not the same mate.

Sorry then mate I'm stumped, any old disc should work but not DVD's and CD-RW, only CD-R.

The only other thing I can think of is that it just isn't recognising the disc because the chip might have died, so it won't read copied discs now. You seem to have done everything right so far though. Give it one last try with any old copy you own that worked with it in the past.

Original Poster

Steve Mac

Sorry then mate I'm stumped, any old disc should work but not DVD's and … Sorry then mate I'm stumped, any old disc should work but not DVD's and CD-RW, only CD-R.The only other thing I can think of is that it just isn't recognising the disc because the chip might have died, so it won't read copied discs now. You seem to have done everything right so far though. Give it one last try with any old copy you own that worked with it in the past.

That's the weirdest thing, the old burnt game copies I got with it about 10-12 years ago still work apart from the ones which a scratched beyond repair of course.

There is nothing else to try really, however I'm getting some Maxell & Kodak CD-R's later off a friend so we'll just have to wait and see what happens mate.

Claydon94

That's the weirdest thing, the old burnt game copies I got with it about … That's the weirdest thing, the old burnt game copies I got with it about 10-12 years ago still work apart from the ones which a scratched beyond repair of course.There is nothing else to try really, however I'm getting some Maxell & Kodak CD-R's later off a friend so we'll just have to wait and see what happens mate.

Hope it works out, seems a strange one.

Original Poster

Steve Mac

Hope it works out, seems a strange one.

Cheers mate.... Thanks for trying to help.

Original Poster

It works now with these different discs:
ebay.co.uk/itm…5c2
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions