Bush washing machine plug gets quite warm

Posted 6th Dec 2019
Hi, a few months ago I purchased a bush washing machine from Argos, today I happened to notice the plug gets fairly warm, dies anyone else with a bush washing machine find their plug also gets quite warm? I know it is not good for a plug to get hot, what I want to try establish if is this is a fault of bush washing machines, I am thinking the washing machine power cable is to thin. If anyone has a bush washing machine could they please check the plug after the machine is about 20 mins into a cycle.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
It takes quite a lot of power to run a washing machine motor and heater for long periods. I’ve never felt mine as it’s behind the cupboard but I’d say it was the same. They will be using the minimum width cable they can get away with.
Does the plug have any black marks on the pins, as poor connection could be causing arcing
Is the plug going straight into the wall socket or perhaps a double adaptor (not recommended either)
Edited by: "esar" 6th Dec 2019
Buy cheap pay twice. Probably a sign it's going to spontaneously combust!

If you're going to buy a cheap washing machine. Buy a Beko.

On a more serious note it's fairly normal for a washing machine plug to get quite warm. Shouldn't be so hot you can't touch it but would be normal to be quite warm. If it's hot, i,e uncomfortable to hold then I'd definitely want it at least checked out. Don't risk it.
Throw some ice cold water on it mid cycle... should cool it down a bit!
If you have a powerful vacume cleaner, go and touch the plug after using it for a while.
So much power is running through it, it also gets hot.
fuses get warm, cables get warm from either as other have stated thinnest spec to do the job, dirty incoming supply (not many can measure this) or the old long cable not properly unwound & excessively kinked rather than long wide loops for extension leads (for instance).

same as a fan heater plug may get warm because it is drawing a shed-load of energy but is still within range of spec. ..but a washing machine has a lot more going on, drive motor for drum, water heater, pump flow etc.. likely it is perfectly normal for your kit within the budget you paid.
If the manufacturer fits a 5amp fuse to the plug I would not expect the plug to become warm. If the fuse fitted by the manufacturer is a higher rating and that rating is appropriate then it may be become warm only during and briefly after periods of significant power consumption.
Spec on a new random Bush wm listed by Argos estimates average power consumption per cycle to be under 1kWh, & if the av cycle is one hour then it is unlikely the plug should become warm even during any brief period of max power consumption during that cycle.
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 13:21

If the manufacturer fits a 5amp fuse to the plug I would not expect the …If the manufacturer fits a 5amp fuse to the plug I would not expect the plug to become warm. If the fuse fitted by the manufacturer is a higher rating and that rating is appropriate then it may be become warm only during and briefly after periods of significant power consumption.Spec on a new random Bush wm listed by Argos estimates average power consumption per cycle to be under 1kWh, & if the av cycle is one hour then it is unlikely the plug should become warm even during any brief period of max power consumption during that cycle.

That is an average though. My washing machine has a 3kw heater in it which I would think is pretty standard
chocci07/12/2019 06:21

That is an average though. My washing machine has a 3kw heater in it which …That is an average though. My washing machine has a 3kw heater in it which I would think is pretty standard

The referenced new Bush model conforming to current (sic) efficiency regs has max power draw of 2.1kW. Simple maths based on the stated average cycle consumption indicates that the max 2.1kW consumption cannot occur for more than a few minutes per cycle, and it is unlikely that a mains plug would become warm from a few minutes' of 2.1kW passing through it.
I assume OP has an electric kettle. Majority of electric kettles will pull significantly more than 2.1kW every second they are on. Maybe OP should fill their kettle and see if the kettle's plug becomes warm over a say 2 minute on cycle; subsequently waiting a few minutes after that test and repeating the test in the same mains socket that supplies the wm.
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 10:44

The referenced new Bush model conforming to current (sic) efficiency regs …The referenced new Bush model conforming to current (sic) efficiency regs has max power draw of 2.1kW. Simple maths based on the stated average cycle consumption indicates that the max 2.1kW consumption cannot occur for more than a few minutes per cycle, and it is unlikely that a mains plug would become warm from a few minutes' of 2.1kW passing through it.I assume OP has an electric kettle. Majority of electric kettles will pull significantly more than 2.1kW every second they are on. Maybe OP should fill their kettle and see if the kettle's plug becomes warm over a say 2 minute on cycle; subsequently waiting a few minutes after that test and repeating the test in the same mains socket that supplies the wm.

Fair enough. My 3KW kettles plug doesnt get warm at all even when full up
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions