Groups

Business Advice

Hi All,
    My sincere apologies if this is not the correct forum for this, but there is generally some great advice offered on these boards.
    Im typical of many people board to death with their current 9-5 day job and have always had a burning desire to run my own business.
    Over recent years ive managed to save a few pennies in savings which could be used to pump into business if i decided to take the leap.
    Ive always felt that dog grooming would be an ideal business to run - my rationale was based on the following - 1. Start up costs would be relatively low once you had purchased equipment. 2. As we know Britain is a Pet Loving country so the target market should be there. 3. Whenever i try to book my dog in for his haircutting there is always a few week booking time as they are booked up - meaning business appears to be healthy for the 2 local groomers in my area....there are many other reasons but wont keep on.
    I would like to ask anyone in business on here what factors should i be considering if i truly want to press on further??? I understand business link offer good business advice.
    How else would be a good idea to tap into the market to weigh up the pros and cons??....

14 Comments

Banned

Don't underestimate the marketing costs when writing your business plan.

Start up costs would be relatively low once you had purchased equipment

Purchasing the equipment IS a startup cost.

the target market should be there

SHOULD be there, or IS there? (An important question that you need to know the answer to!)

business appears to be healthy

It may appear to be healthy, but what about turnover/profit?

How else would be a good idea to tap into the market to weigh up the pros … How else would be a good idea to tap into the market to weigh up the pros and cons?

Research! You don't appear to have done much at all! Have you spoke to the local groomers? Asked them "How's business?", or "How's the recession treating you?"

Edited by: "cis_groupie" 23rd May 2011

Research research research.

Your business plan is ther for a good reason, it is not just a document to show the bank etc.

Create a good plan, look at everything, questions you need to answer to yourself

Why? childhood dream/money/change of lifestyle
    Who? who will be involved, what can the bring to the business
    Where? Location, size, space, accessibility, cost of that, then, local custom against competition,

Company status, etc, type?

Price
    Promotion
    Competition
    Marketing
    Services
    Where're you sit in the market
    Experience/training
    Equipment/resources
    Insurances/legal issues and requirements
    Staff/ roles within the business
    Finances, where they will come from, how will you manage during first year etc.
    what could go wrong?

That's just off the top of my head, probs missed loads, i know it seems negative, im not trying to be, Its just a lot easier with a well though out plan of action, and going in to business with the real facts. It has to help sustain you and grow it's a business not a hobby.

Good luck

Original Poster

Excellent - thats the kind of response i wanted - nothing wrong with pro-active advice.
    Ive worked within local government all my working career and simply want a change of career and working lifestyle.
    Im fully aware theres alot of research to do before making any commitment/jump into working for myself but i want to do as much of the groundwork as possible before making a calculated decision if i should proceed.
    With regards to "Research! You don't appear to have done much at all! Have you spoke to the local groomers? Asked them "How's business?", or "How's the recession treating you?"............admitadly no i have not contacted my local groomers, simply because ethically i wasnt sure how to go about the whole process of makin myself know to be a future competitor whilst at the same time trying to wheen out as much insightful info as i needed..........your suggestins on how i could go abouts this would be helpful???
    Based on some very basic numbers most groomers in my area charge aroung the £25 mark per dog per cut and shampoo.....now i believe in my area they are generally booked up a week infront for bookings, so as said above their is a definate market inmy area.......so based on a dog taking an hour to be groomed x £25 (shampoo and cut), i would suggest you could do 6 dogs per day (easily) so 6 x £25 = £150, x 6 days a week (inc saturdays where bookings would be higher = £900 per week less cost........ i would calculate this to surely make a healthy profit.
    Now i fully understand again rental costs,bills,ins etc will all drain down on net profit but surely this sounds like a postive potential ?

skellysgirl

Research research research. Your business plan is ther for a good reason, … Research research research. Your business plan is ther for a good reason, it is not just a document to show the bank etc.Create a good plan, look at everything, questions you need to answer to yourselfWhy? childhood dream/money/change of lifestyleWho? who will be involved, what can the bring to the businessWhere? Location, size, space, accessibility, cost of that, then, local custom against competition, Company status, etc, type? PricePromotionCompetitionMarketingServicesWhere're you sit in the marketExperience/trainingEquipment/resourcesInsurances/legal issues and requirementsStaff/ roles within the businessFinances, where they will come from, how will you manage during first year etc.what could go wrong?That's just off the top of my head, probs missed loads, i know it seems negative, im not trying to be, Its just a lot easier with a well though out plan of action, and going in to business with the real facts. It has to help sustain you and grow it's a business not a hobby.Good luck

Have you factored in training ? are you going to be doing it yourself or hiring people ? if you are not trained and you don't do it right, you can kiss your money goodbye.

Banned

Why will customers leave their existing groomer for you....what sort of promotional discount will you offer to entice them.....and what do you envisage spending in your first year on marketing?

Original Poster

Ive factored in Training costs yes and initially it would be myself with assistance from family...if things grew then additional staff would be a consideration.

Skyebee

Have you factored in training ? are you going to be doing it yourself or … Have you factored in training ? are you going to be doing it yourself or hiring people ? if you are not trained and you don't do it right, you can kiss your money goodbye.

Original Poster

Well ive researched this part... it would be offers to entice/retain costum.
    First time bookings would be slightly reduced . every 5th booking would be a free groom on the 6th occasion - customers would have a card (which would hopefully be kept by the customer to have stamped - but they would also have the details/card with them should they wish to reccomend)
    Marketing costs would be concentrated locally which i wouldnt envisage being astronomical, but appreicate would not be free!

slamdunkin

Why will customers leave their existing groomer for you....what sort of … Why will customers leave their existing groomer for you....what sort of promotional discount will you offer to entice them.....and what do you envisage spending in your first year on marketing?

Banned

I think you need to do some research on the cost of advertising...if you don't get the marketing mix right, you don't get new customers.

Do you know when your local directories are published as you don't want to be waiting 11 months before you can get listed.

Start with the basics of the company such as status.

Marketing is essential, I know this as I work for a marketing company, but you are getting ahead of yourself, you can't market what you don't have just yet, plus things tend to follow a different route than what you expected.

Just because you can't get booked into a local salon does not equate to there being work out there, there may be other reasons. You also need to look at other models of this business, I mobile groomers, people who work from home.

The key to most business is finances and time, you won't get far if you don't plan either sensibly.

Start with a simple time plan, first when do you envisage starting off

Break down the time in-between then and set some targets for each of these dates, of what you want achieved by each date, then you can move on to the next step.

Be realistic, be objective, and most important make su it is viable, your only robbing yourself if its not
    Edited by: "skellysgirl" 23rd May 2011

Dog grooming, once bitten....twice shy.

Original Poster

Excellent advice once again - im keen to see what short business course business link can offer - but in the meantime can you reccomend any specific book / literature on overview which can offer helpful tips and considerations for a person wishing to start up in business for the first time??

skellysgirl

Start with the basics of the company such as status.Marketing is … Start with the basics of the company such as status.Marketing is essential, I know this as I work for a marketing company, but you are getting ahead of yourself, you can't market what you don't have just yet, plus things tend to follow a different route than what you expected.Just because you can't get booked into a local salon does not equate to there being work out there, there may be other reasons. You also need to look at other models of this business, I mobile groomers, people who work from home.The key to most business is finances and time, you won't get far if you don't plan either sensibly. Start with a simple time plan, first when do you envisage starting offBreak down the time in-between then and set some targets for each of these dates, of what you want achieved by each date, then you can move on to the next step.Be realistic, be objective, and most important make su it is viable, your only robbing yourself if its not

Original Poster

Inactive

Dog grooming, once bitten....twice shy.

Does thise mean from experience it did not work out for you in this field??

Banned

Bossiness link can offer all types of courses from accounting to marketing and How to prepare your business plan....their website is also huge with many resources....here's a good page to start on.

bgateway.com/bdo…82&
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…44
      3. Review Hub Monthly Competition - Win a OnePlus 5!88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat1010

See more discussions