Groups

Business Broadband and Residential Broadband

Hi
    I was wondering whether anyone could tell me if a business phone line can be connected to residential broadband? Or does a business phone line only able to use business broadband?

I asked BT and they said that it is not possible to have residential broadband on the line but when I asked Be Broadband they said as long as it is a single it is possible to have it on a business phone line.

Thanks for any advice or help you can give me!

Thanks!!

12 Comments

I had bt business phone and they made me have bt business broadband too,didnt search about too much as i needed it set up quickly
    I dont see why they do this,if its 2 seperate bills,one for bb and one for the phone line whats the problem?

probably BT trying to get more cash out of you. If you're not in too much of a rush for it you could always try and purchase the broadband. worst thing that could happen is you have to wait a little longer for broadband.

also, have a look through quidco and see who'd doing best cashback deal

Original Poster

Mardyass;3098086

I had bt business phone and they made me have bt business broadband … I had bt business phone and they made me have bt business broadband too,didnt search about too much as i needed it set up quicklyI dont see why they do this,if its 2 seperate bills,one for bb and one for the phone line whats the problem?

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah thats what I thought, Be are insisting that they do have business customer using their broadband service. I honestly dont see a problem but then I thought why would BT say that if it is not true? Thats why I wanted to double check with you guys here to see if anyone have had the same problems!

Original Poster

umanga;3098146

probably BT trying to get more cash out of you. If you're not in too … probably BT trying to get more cash out of you. If you're not in too much of a rush for it you could always try and purchase the broadband. worst thing that could happen is you have to wait a little longer for broadband.also, have a look through quidco and see who'd doing best cashback deal

Thanks for the reply!

Not in a rush to get broadband but just wanted to clear up whether it was possible to get the broadband on the business line. Yeah BT try to offer their broadband to me for £22.50 a month (not sure how long for?) and I did explain that Be Broadband is only £8 so he asked if it was residential which is what I think it is and they said you cannt get residential broadband on a business line!

Yeah I will have a look on quidco! Thanks!

BT ripping people off again, they are soooo greedy, phone BE and get it thru them
    A phone line is a phone line only diff is the service level agreement which means they have to fix it faster if it breaks down.
    when they say single line they mean ISDN which is not compatible with dsl so may require removal, double check on that as it cost over £100 to have that taken out!!

Original Poster

maddogb;3099991

BT ripping people off again, they are soooo greedy, phone BE and get it … BT ripping people off again, they are soooo greedy, phone BE and get it thru themA phone line is a phone line only diff is the service level agreement which means they have to fix it faster if it breaks down.when they say single line they mean ISDN which is not compatible with dsl so may require removal, double check on that as it cost over £100 to have that taken out!!

thanks for the reply but could you please explain what ISDN means please? Sorry not too good with this topic :oops:

I had the exact thoughts about the phone line but didnt think BT will lie though!

sorry, isdn is a digital service on phone lines it has a special box where the phone line comes into the house/premises
    It is very different and much larger than a standard phone point and usually has isdn written on it as well as having 2 sockets to plug phones in.
    and technically they are not lying, it is their policy to only supply business broadband on business lines...

Original Poster

maddogb;3106937

sorry, isdn is a digital service on phone lines it has a special box … sorry, isdn is a digital service on phone lines it has a special box where the phone line comes into the house/premisesIt is very different and much larger than a standard phone point and usually has isdn written on it as well as having 2 sockets to plug phones in.and technically they are not lying, it is their policy to only supply business broadband on business lines...

thanks for the reply

at the moment we have one telephone number and two lines which BT told me that you cannot get broadband on but if I cancel one of the line I would be able to, so after I cancel one of the line I should be able to get broadband? BT said that no broadband providers can provide residential broadband on a business line however Be said they can so whos word should I take?

brillangel;3108404

thanks for the replyat the moment we have one telephone number and two … thanks for the replyat the moment we have one telephone number and two lines which BT told me that you cannot get broadband on but if I cancel one of the line I would be able to, so after I cancel one of the line I should be able to get broadband? BT said that no broadband providers can provide residential broadband on a business line however Be said they can so whos word should I take?

not quite sure what you mean by two lines, if they come out of the same box then it is isdn and not compatible with dsl.
    If they are two seperate wires to house and two boxes in house the its normal lines.
    Normally with isdn you get 2 lines and 3 numbers??, did you look at where your phone plugs into? any writing on it?

Original Poster

i

maddogb;3108819

not quite sure what you mean by two lines, if they come out of the same … not quite sure what you mean by two lines, if they come out of the same box then it is isdn and not compatible with dsl.If they are two seperate wires to house and two boxes in house the its normal lines.Normally with isdn you get 2 lines and 3 numbers??, did you look at where your phone plugs into? any writing on it?

hiya,

I have an auxiliary line which doesnt support broadband but BT said if I cancel one line then I can get broadband on the main line. theres no writing on the plugs just two seperate sockets like you would have at home!

brillangel;3114652

ihiya,I have an auxiliary line which doesnt support broadband but BT said … ihiya,I have an auxiliary line which doesnt support broadband but BT said if I cancel one line then I can get broadband on the main line. theres no writing on the plugs just two seperate sockets like you would have at home!

Think maybe u need to speak to an engineer, there used to be one on here but can't remember who, if no joy try posting on mse in the techy bit
    Try plugging a phone into both sockets and see if lifting one affects the other or making a call on both lines at same time, if u can then surely they are two separate lines.(on second thoughts maybe not, sure i used to do that with isdn lol)
    also punch your number into [url]www.samknows.com[/url]
    they have decent guides to what is available at the exchange you are connected to and different types of lines

Original Poster

maddogb;3115199

Think maybe u need to speak to an engineer, there used to be one on here … Think maybe u need to speak to an engineer, there used to be one on here but can't remember who, if no joy try posting on mse in the techy bitTry plugging a phone into both sockets and see if lifting one affects the other or making a call on both lines at same time, if u can then surely they are two separate lines.also punch your number into [url]www.samknows.com[/url]they have decent guides to what is available at the exchange you are connected to and different types of lines

thanks for your reply and advice I will try posting on MSE. Thanks very much for your help and everyone else!!! I am very grateful and have left rep for everyone!!

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1227
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      3. Easyjet - book now or wait?813
      4. Kitchen tap replacement33

See more discussions