Bust Radiator downstairs flooded

Found 26th Nov 2012
Hi all,

I woke up this morning to find the downstairs radiator had burst and the kitchen had been completely flooded, I phoned the housing and they have sent somebody out to isolate the burst radiator (after 3hrs),

I then phoned the housing after a big cleanup to ask for the housing officer to come out and talk about the damage costs & the day I have had to take off work, they have said it’s down to my contents insurance to sort it out? The house I rent comes with radiators and it their radiator that’s burst surly it’s down to them when it’s their equipment that has broken?

Ps the water has also gone under the laminate flooring in the front room so that may be a problem to, I couldn’t get to speak to the housing officer but have left a message

Anyone know what I should do? Were I stand, I do have contents insurance but believe the housing are to blame
Thanks

i248.photobucket.com/alb…jpg

i248.photobucket.com/alb…jpg
Community Updates
MiscRadiator
56 Comments
Sorry to hear about your flooding it must be very upseting, but I think the housing officer is right, get onto the insurers asap and they will sort you out.
Without too much direct knowledge my best guess would be that your insurance company may pursue the landlord for the cost of repair etc.
id be very careful on pointing blame, although naturally understandable in a situation like this. to get it sorted quicker just go through your insurance and they will then decide if they need to claim the money back from the housing so you dont have to. any pics of the radiator and where it bust, hope you get it sorted quick.
it will be down to the housing people (i'm assuming housing association) to sort the radiator , but damage to flooring and contents will down to you and your insurance company

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/fezza37/IMAG0002.jpghttp://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/fezza37/IMAG0004.jpg

congrats on posting the two most boring pictures ever on hukd
As far as I know as long as the housing can confirm that they annually maintain their heating system then your insurers will pay. The housing should repair the radiators and the insurers should replace the damaged stuff. I may be wrong, I was wrong once before in the '90s
dataload

X) I wasn't going to kick them whilst they were down, but I see you didn't have a problem with it. Have to say OP it just looks like you are mopping the floor in your pj's, not much sign of a 'flood'

Edited by: "greg_68" 26th Nov 2012
Is there actually any damage?
inb4 op doesn't have contents insurance...
worse than the east coast of america
It looks like someone spilled a glass of water on the floor, you should try Plenty to clean it up.

http://www.handembroidery.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/plentyadv2010-2.jpg

JUAN SHEET!
I guess you got to consider if it's worth claiming on insurance for a room with laminated flooring as it push up your premium for next year. I thought laminated flooring could be laid for less than £100 for average sized room if you shop about for an offer.

As for the P.J's she's probably not had time to get dressed, been mopping up water.
Original Poster
Thanks for the help to those that helped, to the others we had been cleaning and mopping for over an hr by the time I took the pics, the person in pj’s was a neighbor who came and helped. Thanks for the support
fezza1970

Thanks for the help to those that helped, to the others we had been … Thanks for the help to those that helped, to the others we had been cleaning and mopping for over an hr by the time I took the pics, the person in pj’s was a neighbor who came and helped. Thanks for the support

The neighbour helped in their PJ's. Mmmmmm me thinks the neighbour stayed round
Edited by: "ed1980" 26th Nov 2012
I was expecting to see two pictures showing the radiator, not someone mopping up a minimal amount of water on a tiled (waterproof) floor
As most have already said - contact the insurance straight away - ask them to arrange hire of dehumidifier or ask them if they will cover the cost to hire. You will need it!

The landlord only has responsibility to fix the radiator - it;s up to the insurance company to decide if the landlord was negligent in any way.
Edited by: "philphil61" 26th Nov 2012
Should have put bath towels down straight away rather than mopping it up.
Confused by this - radiators don't spontaneously explode and **** water everywhere. Someone has damaged it, disturbed the valves or it has been leaking for a while and not attended to.

Either way it's your insurance.

Looks like you have a nice place and a nice kitchen, amazing how nice some of these HA properties are.....
Original Poster
To moob, Apparently the seem split, nothing we did to it, it went when the radiator got to full heat this morning.

To aircanman, we did put towels down, until we ran out(_;) then we got the mops out, the pics are near the end of the cleanup, also we look after our house, others in the area are not so well kept,

you won't be able to get much from the housing people as you are in social housing.
if you were in private renting then you may have better luck.
mutley1

you won't be able to get much from the housing people as you are in … you won't be able to get much from the housing people as you are in social housing.if you were in private renting then you may have better luck.

Is there any end to the poor and ill informed advice you give out?

All landlords whether they be social or private are bound to fulfill their end of tenancy agreements - in fact, in my experience of dealing with housing problems, private landlords are the most problematic.
moob

Is there any end to the poor and ill informed advice you give out? All … Is there any end to the poor and ill informed advice you give out? All landlords whether they be social or private are bound to fulfill their end of tenancy agreements - in fact, in my experience of dealing with housing problems, private landlords are the most problematic.

you may say this is bad advice but from my experience i find that you can talk until the cows come home when you are dealing with the council or a housing association, you will never get very far.

despite what their responsibilities are, they are terrible at keeping up their end and unlike private landlords who are mainly your joe blogs who live down the road and fear having to appear in court to defend their actions, a council or housing association do not fear the threat of legal action in the same way as no one there is personally liable unlike a private landlord that will lose sleep at night if he thinks he has to appear in court the next morning.
That's hilarious.

Councils are subject to far more regulatory control than private landlords. They are directly answerable to Councillors and Ombudsman.

The majority of private landlords I know of are dodgy gangsters washing money by housing DSS punters in substandard accommodation. You should see some of the gaffs I've seen folk living in FFS.

I think your opinion is derived from the typically comfortable blame the council mentality rife throughout the nation.
no, actually i doubt you are speaking from experience but i am.

my family live on council estates all their lives and housing associations and i used to until i grew up and got a job so i still deal with the council and housing associations for them and you might as well talk to a brick wall.

the council has a clause in their contract which states that all tenants are responsible for maintaining their own fence for example, which would never be a possibility for a private landlord to enforce.

what experience have you got that you are talking from?
mine's bigger than both of yours
another example.
my dad lives in a housing association property and the ceiling is damp from water leakage. i called the housing association to report the damp and they come round and said that he would have to take all the furniture out of the bedrooms upstairs and put them in the garden. he would also have to lift all the carpet upstairs and take them into the garden before they will come round to lift the floorboards and identify the leaks.

no F-ing way could a private landlord impose this but guess what? a housing association can.
Mutley its clear you've had some bad personal experience that's a shame, but people sign tenancy agreements without knowing what their responsibilities are, have done themselves over.

My experience? Working with housing defects on a daily basis with over a decades experience.
my experience with public bodies with regard to making complaints even to the regulatory body or ombudsman is crap. it won't get you very far.

they are all in cahoots and don't really care unless it is a very very serious public issue that may end up in the papers. small issues like this, good luck with taking out a court case against the housing association or making a complaint to the regulatory body. it will be a long and arduous process to put the blame on the housing association and get them to cough up.
I think the housing association will repair but shouldnt think any compensation will be forthcoming.
firstly I dont think any room have laminate flooring for £100 unless its really tiny. We had some decent stuff in our quite small living room and it cost £1200. A few months ago a DIY accident occured when a drill went through a central heating pipe. The living room was flooded, the floor was badly swoolen and the insurance sent out an inspector and we got a payment of £900 for the damage to replace the flooring. It was covered by our contents insurance and not our buildings insurance. The HA/Council will probably only have building insurance which you could not claim under for such damage. Therefore the tenant needs to claim on her own contents insurance and decide whether the risk in her premium next year is worth the claim or not.

Secondly I am a private landlord and my houses are 100% perfect and I so struggle with tenants who cant clean a house or do general maintenance. The landlord can put any condition in the tenancy agreement and if the tenant signs it then they have to oblige by it. My tenants have to repair the garden fences if they are damaged but I sort all gas/electrical works and certificates to ensure its done properly at my own cost.

It makes no difference if your a council tenant or private, your rights are legally the same but I always find I lose out at the end of a tenancy one way or another and often left with false addressess to write to for compensation. Like everything else in this world some do and some dont!!
googley2

firstly I dont think any room have laminate flooring for £100 unless its … firstly I dont think any room have laminate flooring for £100 unless its really tiny. We had some decent stuff in our quite small living room and it cost £1200. A few months ago a DIY accident occured when a drill went through a central heating pipe. The living room was flooded, the floor was badly swoolen and the insurance sent out an inspector and we got a payment of £900 for the damage to replace the flooring. It was covered by our contents insurance and not our buildings insurance. The HA/Council will probably only have building insurance which you could not claim under for such damage. Therefore the tenant needs to claim on her own contents insurance and decide whether the risk in her premium next year is worth the claim or not.Secondly I am a private landlord and my houses are 100% perfect and I so struggle with tenants who cant clean a house or do general maintenance. The landlord can put any condition in the tenancy agreement and if the tenant signs it then they have to oblige by it. My tenants have to repair the garden fences if they are damaged but I sort all gas/electrical works and certificates to ensure its done properly at my own cost. It makes no difference if your a council tenant or private, your rights are legally the same but I always find I lose out at the end of a tenancy one way or another and often left with false addressess to write to for compensation. Like everything else in this world some do and some dont!!

i doubt you will ever be able to claim on this clause if the fence was not damaged by the tenant. tenants are only responsible for repair to property damage that they have been guilty of making. storm damage to a fence can not be charged to a tenant as they did not cause it and it is not their property.
mutley1

my experience with public bodies with regard to making complaints even to … my experience with public bodies with regard to making complaints even to the regulatory body or ombudsman is crap. it won't get you very far.they are all in cahoots and don't really care unless it is a very very serious public issue that may end up in the papers. small issues like this, good luck with taking out a court case against the housing association or making a complaint to the regulatory body. it will be a long and arduous process to put the blame on the housing association and get them to cough up.

Ahhh they're all out to get me!

You do realise that HA and council tenants get an amazing deal for their home, subsidised by the tax payer, don't you? Do you also realise that government funding has been slashed on public sector housing for decades mainly thanks to old Maggie for kicking that off?
mutley1

i doubt you will ever be able to claim on this clause if the fence was … i doubt you will ever be able to claim on this clause if the fence was not damaged by the tenant. tenants are only responsible for repair to property damage that they have been guilty of making. storm damage to a fence can not be charged to a tenant as they did not cause it and it is not their property.

wrong thread mutters
moob

Ahhh they're all out to get me! You do realise that HA and council … Ahhh they're all out to get me! You do realise that HA and council tenants get an amazing deal for their home, subsidised by the tax payer, don't you? Do you also realise that government funding has been slashed on public sector housing for decades mainly thanks to old Maggie for kicking that off?

of course. which is why they only do the minimum for what is required of a landlord as they are operating on a low budget and you are lucky to be housed in their properties at all.

this was what i said about the op not going to get much luck for compensation as he is in social housing which you seemed to have disagreed with and stated that you thought the op stood with the same chance of getting compensation with the housing association as he would a private landlord.
Why in the hell would they be due compensation for something outwith the control of the property owner?
because the owner property broke which caused damage.
they may have to prove that the radiator was not maintained and faulty to claim.
dataload

And may i add, what horrible feet.
transit

And may i add, what horrible feet.

No.
aircanman

Looks like you have a nice place and a nice kitchen, amazing how nice … Looks like you have a nice place and a nice kitchen, amazing how nice some of these HA properties are.....

Not as amazing as walking past council blocks and seeing 50inch plasmas taking up half the room.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants