Button holes on new suit sleeve

Posted 19th Nov
Hi....daft question maybe

I bought a ‘nice’ suit the other day and I realised that 2 button holes on the suits still has the thread sewn in (see pic). How do you create the hole.....I started off with scissors and then a Stanley knife!!!!

3335451.jpg
3335451.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
39034684-PSOKr.jpg
If you cut through a without damaging the tighter edge thread. It should be fine.
Some suit makers put on just buttons with no holes or buttons and completely fake holes.

Some suit makers only produce cuffs with fully functioning buttonholes, but you can only shorten or lengthen up to 1cm, as the buttonholes cannot be moved.

You jacket is the best medium, where jackets come with the button holes stitched, but not opened. The lining is also open and lined up with the outside of the cuffs, ready to be easily converted into open buttonhole cuffs. This style means you can try on the suit, and open the button holes if the length is perfect. Alternatively, you can have the sleeves shortened or lengthened from the cuff.

Really that suit jacket shouldn't have been sold to you in its current state, unless I am missing something.
dorey6919/11/2019 20:49

If you cut through a without damaging the tighter edge thread. It should …If you cut through a without damaging the tighter edge thread. It should be fine.

With what????
it looks like they have put the bottom 2 buttons on the wrong piece! it may be worth bringing it back to the shop and ask them to show you how to put the buttons through or to give you one with the buttons on the right piece.
mutley119/11/2019 22:48

it looks like they have put the bottom 2 buttons on the wrong piece! it looks like they have put the bottom 2 buttons on the wrong piece! it may be worth bringing it back to the shop and ask them to show you how to put the buttons through or to give you one with the buttons on the right piece.

Surely OP has done two of them up?
JimboParrot20/11/2019 09:26

Surely OP has done two of them up?

They were already done up when I bought it
You can get a pair of scissors and carefully cut in between the lines on the button holes. Making sure not to cut over the stitching.
_P1520/11/2019 15:38

You can get a pair of scissors and carefully cut in between the lines on …You can get a pair of scissors and carefully cut in between the lines on the button holes. Making sure not to cut over the stitching.

problem with this will be that the cut will fray with time if it is not stitched. i would take it back to the shop as either the buttons have been put on the wrong piece or they should have done the cut and stitched it up before selling it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions