Buy MacBook now or wait for the new one to be released?

Posted 6th Aug
Looking to invest in a MacBook for a business idea I’m in the process of setting up. I’m not very techy if I’m honest. Looking for some apple geeks to possibly advise me on wether I should buy a MacBook now or wait until release of a new model. Will there be many changes do you think and will it be worth the extra? All advise appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Depends what you’ll be doing on it, they’re swapping to Arm so a lot of stuff that works on the existing MacBook won’t work on the Arm one. Microsoft, Apple, and adobe have their software on Arm, anything else you’ll have to wait for the dev to port it and run it via emulator until they do.

Although, if you can, I’d wait until Apple have their event in September.
Why does your business idea involve buying a mac? If you're a genuine startup and want need a mac, you should consider leasing I used hardsoftcomputers.co.uk/ its more expensive over the course of the lease, but the cost is 100% deductible and you don't have to worry about repairs.
jimhuf06/08/2020 13:18

Why does your business idea involve buying a mac? If you're a genuine …Why does your business idea involve buying a mac? If you're a genuine startup and want need a mac, you should consider leasing I used https://www.hardsoftcomputers.co.uk/ its more expensive over the course of the lease, but the cost is 100% deductible and you don't have to worry about repairs.

It doesn’t have to involve a Mac but I’ve been toying with the idea of getting myself one for a while. It won’t be needed for anything special, spreadsheets, browsing, documents etc, nothing out of the ordinary. Honestly I could probably get a laptop half the price I know, I’m just an Apple fan and would ideally like to keep it in their ecosystem as I can link devices. Just curious about if they’ll be any changes, ie if it’s worth waiting or if I buy now will it be last years tech etc.
Asura06/08/2020 13:08

Depends what you’ll be doing on it, they’re swapping to Arm so a lot of stu …Depends what you’ll be doing on it, they’re swapping to Arm so a lot of stuff that works on the existing MacBook won’t work on the Arm one. Microsoft, Apple, and adobe have their software on Arm, anything else you’ll have to wait for the dev to port it and run it via emulator until they do. Although, if you can, I’d wait until Apple have their event in September.

Forgot to quote you in my reply, would arm be good for the reasons I said?
Macbooks are great for creativity like music, photo & film editing. It depends on what you are looking to do with it. But if you have a strong idea theres no point waiting on it, remember the recent 2020 models have a new, better keyboard than the previous
D3LL80Y06/08/2020 15:30

Macbooks are great for creativity like music, photo & film editing. It …Macbooks are great for creativity like music, photo & film editing. It depends on what you are looking to do with it. But if you have a strong idea theres no point waiting on it, remember the recent 2020 models have a new, better keyboard than the previous

It’ll mainly be used to make spreadsheets I and my clients can update, browsing, creating videos/ sideshows. I just like the Apple ecosystem where everything is linked to one and I do understand I’m probably over paying for what I need it for. I’m also a fan of the security of Apple and the speed.
Kratos6906/08/2020 15:33

It’ll mainly be used to make spreadsheets I and my clients can update, b …It’ll mainly be used to make spreadsheets I and my clients can update, browsing, creating videos/ sideshows. I just like the Apple ecosystem where everything is linked to one and I do understand I’m probably over paying for what I need it for. I’m also a fan of the security of Apple and the speed.

Yes they are very secure products. Plus you have the option to run Windows via bootcamp. Definitely get 256GB minimum SSD though. For creation definitely macbook
D3LL80Y06/08/2020 15:38

Yes they are very secure products. Plus you have the option to run Windows …Yes they are very secure products. Plus you have the option to run Windows via bootcamp. Definitely get 256GB minimum SSD though. For creation definitely macbook

Maybe the current ones can run bootcamp - the arm ones won't.

As for the earlier comment around the arm ones and current apps, aiui, on installation the software will recompile for the new architecture, rather than running under an emulator. That's why the gaming demo worked so well - it's not being emulated as such.
alg06/08/2020 15:56

Maybe the current ones can run bootcamp - the arm ones won't.As for the …Maybe the current ones can run bootcamp - the arm ones won't.As for the earlier comment around the arm ones and current apps, aiui, on installation the software will recompile for the new architecture, rather than running under an emulator. That's why the gaming demo worked so well - it's not being emulated as such.

I don’t know about this arm thing. Beyond the Microsoft option; Apple products operate very good:)
I think I’m going to wait until September just because it’s round the corner and I’ll be silly not to. Thanks for all the input guys, it’s appreciated.
D3LL80Y06/08/2020 16:14

I don’t know about this arm thing. Beyond the Microsoft option; Apple p …I don’t know about this arm thing. Beyond the Microsoft option; Apple products operate very good:)

They do, and they are nice, but they are overpriced, and in my experience, either they fail a few weeks outside warranty, or run forever. I've experienced both in equal measure. Personally, I'll have a non-Apple tax machine, and put a linux of some flavour.
Wait
Kratos6906/08/2020 16:20

I think I’m going to wait until September just because it’s round the cor …I think I’m going to wait until September just because it’s round the corner and I’ll be silly not to. Thanks for all the input guys, it’s appreciated.

Apple back to school promotion is running till end of October which means nothing coming till that time except iPhones and may be iPad .
rodman14/08/2020 13:32

Apple back to school promotion is running till end of October which means …Apple back to school promotion is running till end of October which means nothing coming till that time except iPhones and may be iPad .

I saw this in the morning and have a friend who said they’ll buy it for me if I want on with her discount! Free AirPods too but they’ll probably get sold on. Is it a 10% discount?
Kratos6914/08/2020 16:15

I saw this in the morning and have a friend who said they’ll buy it for me …I saw this in the morning and have a friend who said they’ll buy it for me if I want on with her discount! Free AirPods too but they’ll probably get sold on. Is it a 10% discount?

yep or get TOTUM card hotukdeals.com/dea…482
Post a comment
@
    Text