Buy soda water or use soda stream gas? which is better/cheaper

Found 7th Mar
I like drinking lime & soda and other cordials instead of fizzy drinks and have a soda mahcine already but not sure on what the better option is for taste/cost purposed,

only place for gas I can find is argos at £15 in which makes 60 litres, but being honest does it actually make this much or is it if you make very non fizzy water and in reality it only make 40 litres of fizzy litres?

so bottles would cost if I was to buy at cheapeast shop 35p per litre from lidl, would cost 21£

what do you guys think is the better option
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I use aldi sparkling water all the time for my diluting juice all the time I can't remember the price but im sure it's less than 20p and i think it taste fine never used soda stream for a lot of years so i can't compare but i would never consider buying one
Original Poster
scaryvonne22 m ago

I use aldi sparkling water all the time for my diluting juice all the …I use aldi sparkling water all the time for my diluting juice all the time I can't remember the price but im sure it's less than 20p and i think it taste fine never used soda stream for a lot of years so i can't compare but i would never consider buying one

Sparkling water and soda are not the same?

For me doesn't seem as fizzy? Lol not sure best way to even explain difference I prefer
Original Poster
scaryvonne27 m ago

I use aldi sparkling water all the time for my diluting juice all the …I use aldi sparkling water all the time for my diluting juice all the time I can't remember the price but im sure it's less than 20p and i think it taste fine never used soda stream for a lot of years so i can't compare but i would never consider buying one

after looking online i might have it wrong is soda streams do they make sparkling water or soda water? lol
whelan1891 h, 12 m ago

Sparkling water and soda are not the same? For me doesn't seem as fizzy? …Sparkling water and soda are not the same? For me doesn't seem as fizzy? Lol not sure best way to even explain difference I prefer

No, but you might find this interesting though. I remember hearing recently, I think it was on the BBC's Trust Me I'm a Doctor serious, that fizzy water could actually be prescribed for people with obesity. Sounds crazy at first, some sort of myth or pseudoscience though read on.

If you drink a lot of sparkling water you might find you feel bloated, but researchers in Japan have found that this side-effect could be put to good use. They had a group of women fast overnight and then slowly drink either still or sparkling water. They found that 900ml of gas was released from just 250ml of water, so not surprisingly the women’s stomachs distended slightly and the had the perception of feeling full, even though they hadn’t eaten. They didn’t feel uncomfortable and so fizzy water has been suggested as a way of avoiding overeating, because it makes you feel fuller.

Source of information: Is sparkling water really bad for you? BBC News

I also heard once that soda water also acts as a mild laxative apparently.

However, results from a recent study also suggest that the intake of carbonated water is an effective method for the intervention of constipation in elderly patients with CVA (commonly known as a stroke).

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21551998/

Though I guess it would depend on how much you drink of course. You obviously don't want to drink too much, regardless of whether it's soda water or plain sparkling.

And on your last point, surely a Soda Stream would be for making soda water and not plain sparkling water. The clue is in the name I guess.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 7th Mar
On the Soda vs Sparking Water, that gets abit confusing. The Soda stream makes both (kinda lol). Techinically Soda Water and Sparking Water are the same, water that canned gas has passed through. Sparking Mineral Water (which is often also just called "Sparking Water" sometimes) the gas is natural from the spring that the water came from. That makes it all about as clear as mud! The variations between brands and gas contents is because mineral water from different sources will all have different mineral makeups.
I like Soda water myself also but just at the weekend noticed Lidl doing 2L bottles of "sparking water" (green bottle) for 15p and I like it, though never actually had the Lidl Soda water before, normally would have bought the Tesco or Asda own brand ones.
Gets even more confusing when you remember that "Soda" is a generic term for a carbonated water based drink with sweetners and flavouring.
I've no experience of Soda Streams. Lots of experience of bottled fizzy water though.

The cheap sparkling water from Aldi is definitely pretty fizzy. The difference between that as far as I can tell and the posh stuff that costs £2 a bottle, is that the posh stuff seems to have smaller bubbles. It's nice, defintely nicer if drinking with nothing in it. But I can't really get excited enough about it to pay 20 times more a bottle (the bottles are smaller).

If the Aldi one goes flat after a day or two, I don't feel bad about chucking it at 20p a go.
cecilmcroberts3 h, 29 m ago

On the Soda vs Sparking Water, that gets abit confusing. The Soda stream …On the Soda vs Sparking Water, that gets abit confusing. The Soda stream makes both (kinda lol). Techinically Soda Water and Sparking Water are the same, water that canned gas has passed through. Sparking Mineral Water (which is often also just called "Sparking Water" sometimes) the gas is natural from the spring that the water came from. That makes it all about as clear as mud! The variations between brands and gas contents is because mineral water from different sources will all have different mineral makeups. I like Soda water myself also but just at the weekend noticed Lidl doing 2L bottles of "sparking water" (green bottle) for 15p and I like it, though never actually had the Lidl Soda water before, normally would have bought the Tesco or Asda own brand ones. Gets even more confusing when you remember that "Soda" is a generic term for a carbonated water based drink with sweetners and flavouring.

A lot of what you mention is marketing hype though.

Sparkling mineral water natural from the spring? Yeah right. Well it could be "natural" though that's how they like to market it. Would you believe how a lot of this water is actually extracted? You could almost say it is similar to the process of fracking. A lot of the water is produced under extreme forced pressure to extract it from underground level.

The industry also use environmental-themed advertising to cover up the mountains of plastic waste it produces.

Nestlé and other big companies also take advantage of poor government oversight to deplete mountain streams and watersheds at vast profit.

They are trashing the environment all along the product's lifecycle!

Rant over.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 7th Mar
Just to add my twopenneth.....I don't drink still water, I only drink sparkling water (lots of it) and they vary by a MASSIVE amount. The fizziest are sold in glass bottles. If I buy plastic bottles I only buy the small ones as the 2ltr size won't retain the fizz, even after being open for an hour or so.

As you're mixing it, you won't necessarily taste the differences in the waters, so I suggest if you want fizzy you buy glass filled or small plastic (500ml).
I asked this recently to friends and got a backlash about the plastic bottle waste from shelf bought bottles. They hadn't considered the Co2 impact from the sodastream.

I buy sainsburys 2ltr bottles and find they will last me 2 or 3 days and retain fiz as long as it stays standing and isn't chilled.

Remember the carbonate can damage the enamel on your teeth if drunken excessively (my dentists words).

I'm interested to see the overall opinion as I yoy with this all the time.
Edited by: "darlodge" 8th Mar
A while ago I was looking at the cost of soda stream gas and trying to weigh it up. I came across a hack, I vaguely recall someone getting a diving canister and adapting the nozzle to fit a pipe the was connected from under the worktop. Think it was a blog post by frugalwoods. They had already done the costing and pros and cons so might be worth having a look. Hope this helps

Here it is frugalwoods.com/201…am/
Edited by: "fattyflumpalump" 10th Mar
Original Poster
fattyflumpalump1 h, 12 m ago

A while ago I was looking at the cost of soda stream gas and trying to …A while ago I was looking at the cost of soda stream gas and trying to weigh it up. I came across a hack, I vaguely recall someone getting a diving canister and adapting the nozzle to fit a pipe the was connected from under the worktop. Think it was a blog post by frugalwoods. They had already done the costing and pros and cons so might be worth having a look. Hope this helpsHere it is www.frugalwoods.com/2014/08/11/how-to-cheap-homemade-seltzer-with-a-modified-sodastream/

thanks for the posting was an interesting read lol, not sure I drink enough or would want to be drinking enough to go to these lengths lol, apparently soda water/sparkling can ruin enamel of your teeth so will only be a occasional drink rather then loads for 4-5 people, seems a good project though, however not sure where in this country you could buy them and get them filled up when cheap, mostly likely will buy the canister then when its empty the places that did it close down lol

although im sure most places will fill them up as there for sea diving im assuming?
Original Poster
darlodge8th Mar

I asked this recently to friends and got a backlash about the plastic …I asked this recently to friends and got a backlash about the plastic bottle waste from shelf bought bottles. They hadn't considered the Co2 impact from the sodastream.I buy sainsburys 2ltr bottles and find they will last me 2 or 3 days and retain fiz as long as it stays standing and isn't chilled.Remember the carbonate can damage the enamel on your teeth if drunken excessively (my dentists words).I'm interested to see the overall opinion as I yoy with this all the time.

Yes I have been reading on this, im not going to drink it full on but like when people will drink coca and that ill drink this, its fair better then fizzy drinks on the PH scale , think bottles is the best route, 25p for two litre bottle at aldi i picked up, will work out 15£ for 60 litres which is the same as the soda stream

I think its quite disgusting that soda stream companies charge so much for refills considering you can buy 60 liters pregassed and with fresh water and bottles for same price, I'm pretty sure the soda stream business is dead? maybe one day there sell it and make it financially possible to stop the plastic waste on the bottles
Original Poster
fattyflumpalump1 h, 36 m ago

A while ago I was looking at the cost of soda stream gas and trying to …A while ago I was looking at the cost of soda stream gas and trying to weigh it up. I came across a hack, I vaguely recall someone getting a diving canister and adapting the nozzle to fit a pipe the was connected from under the worktop. Think it was a blog post by frugalwoods. They had already done the costing and pros and cons so might be worth having a look. Hope this helpsHere it is www.frugalwoods.com/2014/08/11/how-to-cheap-homemade-seltzer-with-a-modified-sodastream/

thought I would look into it and found this,,

adamsgas.co.uk/pro…ar/

55£ deposit for cannister which is refundable when want to give it back, then 18£ for a cannister that makes 686.46 litres, and 6£-12£ delivery, then 30£ for conversion kit? think i have that right
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants