Buyer received damaged goods I sold on eBay. Who is responsible?

Posted 4th Dec
I have just sold a pair of men’s trousers on eBay and the buyer has just received them in bad condition. The packaging was damaged and ripped through damaging the trousers. What is the correct procedure and who makes the claim against who?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It is your responsibility to ensure the buyer get the goods in the proper condition.

You are going to need to refund your buyer and should probably do so sooner rather than later.

Ask them to provide you with photo’s of the damage and then you make a claim with the service you used to send them to get your money back
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 4th Dec
24 Comments
You make the claim against the delivery company i beleive. Get the buyer to take photos etc and return the item to you.
What service did you use to send them?
I always imaged if that happened to me selling, it would be up to me to sort it out, get the proof from the seller and claim off the postage insurance, it’s why I also make sure the insurance covers the item
If packing was inadequate, sender is reponsible. RM / some couriers typically expect double protection (box-in-a-box or similar); presumably the seller would check the carrier's requirements prior to sending. Usually the seller has the contract with the carrier so lodges any claim (legit or otherwise), although RM will consider a claim from sender or recipient, but not both.
It is your responsibility to ensure the buyer get the goods in the proper condition.

You are going to need to refund your buyer and should probably do so sooner rather than later.

Ask them to provide you with photo’s of the damage and then you make a claim with the service you used to send them to get your money back
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 4th Dec
As a buyer I'd expect you (the seller) to refund me or send a replacementwhilst you take up the claim with the carrier on compensation.

Were the trousers of any value? I'm not sure I could be bothered to go through the hassle if they weren't expensive, I'd just offer a discount or refund and let them keep the trousers.
justonemore04/12/2019 21:07

Royal Mail

You will be covered with proof of postage to the value of £20 if you have sent it standard 1st or 2nd class

If they are worth more I hope you have paid more for a signature the correct service to include more insurance.

Details of how to claim can be found here

personal.help.royalmail.com/app…325
justonemore04/12/2019 21:07

Royal Mail

Royal mail are a bunch of t!ts, a few years ago I posted an Ebay sale of a DVD recorder through them in the original box and polystyrene packing and the buyer received it crushed with tyre marks on the wrapping, Royal mail told me the item was not correctly packaged and after I told them the packaging was original and good enough to make it from China to the UK without any problems they still insisted it was inadequately packaged , they refunded my postage costs
DPD for me from there on!
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 4th Dec
porsche911turbo04/12/2019 22:05

Royal mail are a bunch of t!ts, I posted a Ebay sale of a DVD recorder …Royal mail are a bunch of t!ts, I posted a Ebay sale of a DVD recorder through them in the original box and polystyrene packing and the buyer received it crushed with tyre marks on the wrapping, Royal mail told me the item was not correctly packaged and after I told them the packaging was original and good enough to make it from China to the UK without any problems they still insisted it was inadequately packaged , they refunded my postage costs

I had someone on shpock claim the cd I sent never arrived, I was incredibly skeptical due to the messages send by them, however I put in a claim online with Royal Mail they resolved it really quickly sending me a cheque for a refund.

I rarely bother selling anything now on eBay or similar due to issues like this it’s just not worth the headache.

Royal mail are a bunch of t!ts, a few years ago I posted an Ebay sale of a …Royal mail are a bunch of t!ts, a few years ago I posted an Ebay sale of a DVD recorder through them in the original box and polystyrene packing and the buyer received it crushed with tyre marks on the wrapping, Royal mail told me the item was not correctly packaged and after I told them the packaging was original and good enough to make it from China to the UK without any problems they still insisted it was inadequately packaged , they refunded my postage costs DPD for me from there on!

a few years ago !!
joyf453604/12/2019 22:20

a few years ago !!

Yep it was about 2 or 3 years ago but 'once bitten twice shy' and with other courier companies giving a better quality service (excluding MyHermes) for similar and often less money I won't be using them again.
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 4th Dec
What did you send them in? Have they sent you a picture of the damaged packaging? If the packaging is damaged usually Royal Mail put a marker on the package stating the package was damaged. I’m just weary of EBay Buyers, they have a sense of entitlement that knows no bounds.

Royal mail are a bunch of t!ts, a few years ago I posted an Ebay sale of a …Royal mail are a bunch of t!ts, a few years ago I posted an Ebay sale of a DVD recorder through them in the original box and polystyrene packing and the buyer received it crushed with tyre marks on the wrapping, Royal mail told me the item was not correctly packaged and after I told them the packaging was original and good enough to make it from China to the UK without any problems they still insisted it was inadequately packaged , they refunded my postage costs DPD for me from there on!

Should have known postie was going to drive over it.
Open claim with royal mail on line, straightforward and quick.
apologise and refund buyer.
From what I heard, if its not sent recorded, you will only ever get the price of the postage refunded if you have the proof of postage.

Should of took them to small claims. Tyre marks would be an instant win.
myusernamehasgone23404/12/2019 22:11

I had someone on shpock claim the cd I sent never arrived, I was …I had someone on shpock claim the cd I sent never arrived, I was incredibly skeptical due to the messages send by them, however I put in a claim online with Royal Mail they resolved it really quickly sending me a cheque for a refund. I rarely bother selling anything now on eBay or similar due to issues like this it’s just not worth the headache.

Yes but there’s a max insurance content for non recorded items I.e. £20.
If it’s worth more than that then record deliver it and insure it to it’s worth n pass on those costs to the buyer!
southsidesilver04/12/2019 23:06

From what I heard, if its not sent recorded, you will only ever get the …From what I heard, if its not sent recorded, you will only ever get the price of the postage refunded if you have the proof of postage.

100% incorrect. Royal Mail have a website where accurate information can be found.
What's the point of posting something which is demonstrably false?
ruheluddin8605/12/2019 00:28

Yes but there’s a max insurance content for non recorded items I.e. £20. If …Yes but there’s a max insurance content for non recorded items I.e. £20. If it’s worth more than that then record deliver it and insure it to it’s worth n pass on those costs to the buyer!

Yep I explained that to the op in my comment above.
myusernamehasgone23404/12/2019 21:19

You will be covered with proof of postage to the value of £20 if you have …You will be covered with proof of postage to the value of £20 if you have sent it standard 1st or 2nd classIf they are worth more I hope you have paid more for a signature the correct service to include more insurance.Details of how to claim can be found herehttps://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/325

Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 5th Dec
The person receiving them should have rejected them from the courier or Royal mail.

It was obviously damaged so they should have said something to whoever delivered it.
kester7604/12/2019 23:21

Should of took them to small claims. Tyre marks would be an instant win.

Wise words, thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants