Buyer want to return my New GoPro after 2 weeks use, T.T

Found 4th JulEdited by:"nbwuwd"
I sold my brand new GoPro on eBay 2 weeks ago, nothing happened in the last 2 weeks, however, after 2 weeks, today, I received a return request from buyer, he opened a "Doesn't work or is defective" case against me and describe that he found the water go through the screen and he lost his footage. And what he want is FULL REFUND. I was totally shocked, since its a nearly 200 quids deal.
My point is what I sold is SEALED and New item.
And he already USED 2 weeks. and full refund is unacceptable.
This is my 5th time sell on eBay. I'm so upset right now, and I heard eBay always on buyer's side. : (
What can I do right now? Appreciate for any comments and suggestions.
Community Updates
53 Comments
Awful, hate it when this happens. Try your best to keep this case on your side, state that the item was new and the buyer didn't complain about it being 'used', so they obviously received it new, whatever damage they cause after is their own fault. It was their own fault it was damaged and they should be paying for it. It's like me buying a sealed iPhone and returning it after I drop the phone. To be completely honest, eBay will likely go with the buyer first time around, you'll have to appeal and then they'll give a little more care to your side.

Was the GoPro advertised as waterproof anywhere on the listing? Did you list it as New or Like New?

Good luck
This is why I don't sell on eBay anymore, had enough of buyers trying it on, sphock is a much safer bet as they collect in person and pay you cash.
SOUTHWALES4 m ago

This is why I don't sell on eBay anymore, had enough of buyers trying it …This is why I don't sell on eBay anymore, had enough of buyers trying it on, sphock is a much safer bet as they collect in person and pay you cash.

I've encountered a few very weird people. I went to pick up a gear fit and it felt like I was walking into a crack house. Shpock isn't as convenient as eBay, your audience is much smaller, the danger is different, but still there though the app itself has been very well made and is quite user-friendly unlike the eBay one.
Does the buyer state it was faulty when he opened it? If he has used it and got it wet it's his problem.

You could get eBay to side with if you go about things the right way.

Say buyer has used it and got water in it somehow. The item was brand new and sealed, which isn't disputed by the buyer, so it couldn't have had water in it when he opened it and he wouldn't have waited two weeks to request a return.

State buyer damaged it, not knowing it wasn't waterproof and claims now it is faulty to get a refund. If you haven't said it's waterproof in the listing state that the listing didn't say it was waterproof so buyer exposed it to water and damaged it and it's exclusively their fault.

There's a high chance eBay will refund the buyer and you might have to appeal, like it's been said, but fight your case in the best way you can and stress that the buyer damaged it... there wasn't water in it as it was a brand new and sealed camera.
Edited by: "hearts22" 4th Jul
sAmeri23 m ago

Awful, hate it when this happens. Try your best to keep this case on your …Awful, hate it when this happens. Try your best to keep this case on your side, state that the item was new and the buyer didn't complain about it being 'used', so they obviously received it new, whatever damage they cause after is their own fault. It was their own fault it was damaged and they should be paying for it. It's like me buying a sealed iPhone and returning it after I drop the phone. To be completely honest, eBay will likely go with the buyer first time around, you'll have to appeal and then they'll give a little more care to your side.Was the GoPro advertised as waterproof anywhere on the listing? Did you list it as New or Like New?Good luck

thanks so much !!! GoPro advertised it as waterproof, I listed it as New and described it as Sealed.
I called eBay CS, he just want me to accept return first then see the item damage or what, after that appeal . T.T
nbwuwd13 m ago

thanks so much !!! GoPro advertised it as waterproof, I listed it as New …thanks so much !!! GoPro advertised it as waterproof, I listed it as New and described it as Sealed.I called eBay CS, he just want me to accept return first then see the item damage or what, after that appeal . T.T

Surely once you accept return then eBay will force you to refund after so many days, especially as the return will be tracked to your door so they will know you have received the item back, if you don't refund then after so many days the buyer appeals and eBay normally automatically refunds.

Selling on eBay is now a gamble with good odds against you as a seller, as I am not a gambler I only buy on eBay now, not sold on there for over 4 years.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 4th Jul
deleted396333
It's advertised as waterproof but it wasn't?
Sounds like a defective item to me
SOUTHWALES4 m ago

Surely once you accept return then eBay will force you to refund after so …Surely once you accept return then eBay will force you to refund after so many days, especially as the return will be tracked to your door so they will know you have received the item back, if you don't refund then after so many days the buyer appeals and eBay normally automatically refunds.Selling on eBay is now a gamble with good odds against you as a seller, as I am not a gambler I only buy on eBay now, not sold on there for over 4 years.

I see, now i already accepted the return. I really regretted T.T What I can do is just waiting the return arrive, and I even did not try what you said and others suggestions, stupid me, I just followed the guidance from customer service.
nbwuwd34 m ago

thanks so much !!! GoPro advertised it as waterproof, I listed it as New …thanks so much !!! GoPro advertised it as waterproof, I listed it as New and described it as Sealed.I called eBay CS, he just want me to accept return first then see the item damage or what, after that appeal . T.T

Do not accept the return, I was advised by eBay to do that and once it arrived I was told to 'forgive the buyer as I've already received the item back'. Careless from eBay.
sAmeri1 m ago

Do not accept the return, I was advised by eBay to do that and once it …Do not accept the return, I was advised by eBay to do that and once it arrived I was told to 'forgive the buyer as I've already received the item back'. Careless from eBay.

oh no ... I already did T.T
I will tell you an easy way for you to keep your funds without losing out.

Simply respond to the claim with The item is advertised as NEW and Sealed and is a waterproof camera as can be seen on the GoPro website. The buyer has taken 2 weeks to make this claim which is suspicious considering they did not inform me immediately.

Attach pictures of it being sealed and Attach a document from a friend or letter headed paper stating that they have seen the item and can confirm it was sealed when it was sent. This will almost guarantee that you will not lose out. Sometimes ebay refund you the funds and they get to keep the item anyway.
deleted3963334th Jul

It's advertised as waterproof but it wasn't?Sounds like a defective item …It's advertised as waterproof but it wasn't?Sounds like a defective item to me

The conditions could vary. It may mean that all ports should be closed and in the buyers case, they used it in water with a port open.
deleted396333
sAmeri6 m ago

The conditions could vary. It may mean that all ports should be closed and …The conditions could vary. It may mean that all ports should be closed and in the buyers case, they used it in water with a port open.

Of course, but we're all just guessing, and some assuming that the buyer is dodgy.
Guys it’s done T T I followed the customer service ‘s guidance just accept it and paid the return label. I know it’s stupid and I’m sorry for the person who gave me the suggestion but I did not even try. I realized “accept the return” is not reversible . Sigh
nbwuwd35 m ago

I see, now i already accepted the return. I really regretted T.T What I …I see, now i already accepted the return. I really regretted T.T What I can do is just waiting the return arrive, and I even did not try what you said and others suggestions, stupid me, I just followed the guidance from customer service.

There's not much you can do now other than to hope they were lying about the whole case and simply wanted to return it because they didn't like it.

It's happened to me once, I sold a OnePlus and I said no returns, the buyer obviously never liked the phone and claimed the headphone jack was faulty and the phone wouldn't charge. I thoroughly test all phones before I send them off so I knew something was wrong. When it arrived the phone was in perfect working order, it just stank of rubbish. The phone was sticky and had blobs of food, residue or something all over it. I gave it a clean and resold it to someone else, they were perfectly happy.

The person above obviously has had a very different experience to me, but in the 500+ items I've sold on eBay, I've probably had 3-4 bad occurances with a loss of about £100 so it wasn't too bad. Keep in mind I sell phones and consoles so the number of scams are a million times higher than all other categories.
Pardon my ignorance. What’s T.T?
u6645411 m ago

Pardon my ignorance. What’s T.T?

Face with tears
Typical. Sounds like he wanted to use it for a holiday or something and then return it for free.
Don't know much about go pro's but i imagine it should have a waterproof rating? Which you don't know he hasn't exceeded. You sold it sealed so as far as im concerned he would need to take it up with go pro customer services.
If you have already accepted the return then this whole discussion is pointless as you will pay for the return and the buyer will be refunded once the tracking shows you got the item back. Nothing else you can do now.

You should have come to ask for help before doing anything. Now you'll get back a used camera; even if it were actually working fine the resale value is not gonna be the same.
You've been scammed by some scummy buyer unfortunately.
Or he could have already had a faulty one which he is returning and keeping yours brand new.
Im not sure but is there any way you can check the model when it comes back to you and it may not be yours? like was there any marking on yours, or any way you can tell it is definately yours that he has sent back?
Faiza37 m ago

Or he could have already had a faulty one which he is returning and …Or he could have already had a faulty one which he is returning and keeping yours brand new. Im not sure but is there any way you can check the model when it comes back to you and it may not be yours? like was there any marking on yours, or any way you can tell it is definately yours that he has sent back?

Yup possibly, on my selling page, I uploaded the box with serial number , if what I got does not match the previous serial number, I will appeal to eBay and also call the police since it’s a fraud
If its broke just RMA it to go pro then resell it.
punji3 h, 15 m ago

I will tell you an easy way for you to keep your funds without losing …I will tell you an easy way for you to keep your funds without losing out.Simply respond to the claim with The item is advertised as NEW and Sealed and is a waterproof camera as can be seen on the GoPro website. The buyer has taken 2 weeks to make this claim which is suspicious considering they did not inform me immediately. Attach pictures of it being sealed and Attach a document from a friend or letter headed paper stating that they have seen the item and can confirm it was sealed when it was sent. This will almost guarantee that you will not lose out. Sometimes ebay refund you the funds and they get to keep the item anyway.

^^^^^ complete nonsense!
Or its a defective item & buyer has legit gripe
chocci6 h, 21 m ago

^^^^^ complete nonsense!

I have probably been using eBay since you were in pampers my friend and I’ve won every claim that has been attempted against me. Clearly haven’t a clue to win a claim
punji42 m ago

I have probably been using eBay since you were in pampers my friend and …I have probably been using eBay since you were in pampers my friend and I’ve won every claim that has been attempted against me. Clearly haven’t a clue to win a claim

You haven't proved the sealed product wasn't defective (it happens). You would never win the case by that alone, however much you patronise.
deleted912245
punji11 h, 5 m ago

I will tell you an easy way for you to keep your funds without losing …I will tell you an easy way for you to keep your funds without losing out.Simply respond to the claim with The item is advertised as NEW and Sealed and is a waterproof camera as can be seen on the GoPro website. The buyer has taken 2 weeks to make this claim which is suspicious considering they did not inform me immediately. Attach pictures of it being sealed and Attach a document from a friend or letter headed paper stating that they have seen the item and can confirm it was sealed when it was sent. This will almost guarantee that you will not lose out. Sometimes ebay refund you the funds and they get to keep the item anyway.

Exactly, this. No evidence of any defect and if there was any defect why has it taken the buyer two weeks to get round to submitting a claim. Speak to eBay about it and hopefully they'll remove the claim with this in mind.
Edited by: "deleted912245" 4th Jul
punji2 h, 58 m ago

I have probably been using eBay since you were in pampers my friend and …I have probably been using eBay since you were in pampers my friend and I’ve won every claim that has been attempted against me. Clearly haven’t a clue to win a claim

That doesn’t mean much. Depends what you sell and how right you are to get a result.

I don’t think eBay has been around long enough for Chocci to have been in Pampers. When did you start?
deleted9122454th Jul

Exactly, this. No evidence of any defect and if there was any defect why …Exactly, this. No evidence of any defect and if there was any defect why has it taken the buyer two weeks to get round to submitting a claim. Speak to eBay about it and hopefully they'll remove the claim with this in mind.

It was sold sealed so no evidence that the item wasn't faulty either (it happens) . I dont think 2 weeks is unreasonable either to test a camera out in a water environment.
deleted9122454th Jul

Exactly, this. No evidence of any defect and if there was any defect why …Exactly, this. No evidence of any defect and if there was any defect why has it taken the buyer two weeks to get round to submitting a claim. Speak to eBay about it and hopefully they'll remove the claim with this in mind.

Could have taken 2 weeks as he hadn't tested it yet...
miikeyblue3 h, 23 m ago

Could have taken 2 weeks as he hadn't tested it yet...

It would not go in your favour if it has taken two weeks for an item to be checked to see if it is working correctly etc.
Oneday7711 h, 26 m ago

That doesn’t mean much. Depends what you sell and how right you are to get …That doesn’t mean much. Depends what you sell and how right you are to get a result. I don’t think eBay has been around long enough for Chocci to have been in Pampers. When did you start?

December 1998, I started on the US site then in 1999 started to buy and sell on ebay uk, escrow, nochex, western union, cheque days!
punji16 m ago

December 1998, I started on the US site then in 1999 started to buy and …December 1998, I started on the US site then in 1999 started to buy and sell on ebay uk, escrow, nochex, western union, cheque days!

The good old days, when it was an auction and you could get a bargain or two. Used to use the USA one for N64 games.

Yahoo auctions were never as good but good for more off the wall things
googleboogle13 m ago

The good old days, when it was an auction and you could get a bargain or …The good old days, when it was an auction and you could get a bargain or two. Used to use the USA one for N64 games.Yahoo auctions were never as good but good for more off the wall things

Yahoo auctions wow that is going back! yes those were the days! Snake on the Nokia 5146! the phone you had to have.
punji54 m ago

It would not go in your favour if it has taken two weeks for an item to be …It would not go in your favour if it has taken two weeks for an item to be checked to see if it is working correctly etc.

I've seen stories where stuff has been returned after a month, or even more. 14 days is nothing.
As it was brand new and sealed then I presume you have a warranty for it so at least you can get it replaced or repaired if it is faulty.
If it's not faulty then sell it as New/Other/Customer return unless the condition is too poor.
If it is too poor then just sell it as used and take the hit.
There's always the odd hit with eBay even with return postage etc but from my experience the downside is much smaller than the upside so I continue to use it.
You are unlucky now early on in your trading but I doubt it will happen much unless you are very unlucky so I'd persevere.
chocci4th Jul

^^^^^ complete nonsense!

Yep it is. I agree. I had to refund a buyer in a similar situation. I also won a case against a buyer so I know you can win a case in some instances.

He didn't open a case as I told him to return it for a refund and when I got it back I refunded him.

The smartwatch I sold him was brand new and sealed. Three weeks after he contacted me saying that the speaker was defective.
I spoke to eBay and they said it doesn't matter if it was new when it was sold. It is expected to be working fine etc so I didn't bother fighting the case in this instance and just got it back.
I was within 30 days from the purchase date with O2 so I returned it to them. They sent me a brand new one that I sold without problems after. If it had been over 30 days I would have only been entitled to a repair.
Buyer left positive feedback.
I didn't even bother testing the watch. I just sent it back to O2 to get another brand new one in exchange for the faulty one. I wwas lucky I could do that.

Just stating the item is brand new won't make you win the case as a brand new item can be faulty.
punji4th Jul

A letter from a friend! Your on the windup surely.
milko29 m ago

A letter from a friend! Your on the windup surely.

LOL trust me, all you need is letter headed paper and confirmation from a friend that they have checked the item, confirm it was sealed, working order etc (confirming condition) and it will be sufficient evidence. One instance I had a lady buy a laser printer from me, cost me £400 but i sold it for £230, the toners were pretty much full. She made a claim 3 months later saying it was faulty. I sent ebay a letter from my friend who works as a IT Technician, sent photos and argued that it was working fine and i won the case. She then took it to small claims court, I did the same thing, we got a court dates, I did not attend nor did she and it went in my favour! if you dont try you dont get.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants