Buyers overbidding on eBay?

Posted 14th Oct
This has always bothered me. Always wondered why bidders bid ridiculously high or 'overbid' for mostly used items when that same item could have been purchased brand new from other retailers? Does anyone know why this happens?
Community Updates
Top comments
some don't know prices or shop around.
mindset : ebay = must be cheap.
Edited by: "AMaky" 14th Oct
14 Comments
Thrill of the chase.
AndyRoyd14/10/2019 13:38

Thrill of the chase.

To a certain point, yes. Unless there are millionaires bidding on eBay who don't care what they pay.
awiew14/10/2019 13:40

To a certain point, yes. Unless there are millionaires bidding on eBay who …To a certain point, yes. Unless there are millionaires bidding on eBay who don't care what they pay.

You can play but don't have to pay.
some don't know prices or shop around.
mindset : ebay = must be cheap.
Edited by: "AMaky" 14th Oct
Delivery options can also be a factor, such as the availability of click & collect.
maybe the items they bid on are not the real mccoy. Perhaps its drugs being traded 'openly'.
Some are bidding on Thier own items. Seen the same card with no reserve repeatedly back on sale.
Edited by: "adamderak" 14th Oct
It is indeed the thrill they get from it. For example, if you send a second chance offer 99.99999999% of the time they wont buy it.

Check the price of euros (currency) going on ebay, it goes for more than a money shop lol. And amazon vouchers. This isn't a case of buyers thinking its cheaper on ebay, its a case of them being lazy and finding ebay easy to buy from.
Was bothering me like an hour ago and then I see this discussion. It’s like you can get it cheaper elsewhere in a new condition. Why spend more for a used one? Defeats the point of the auction really especially when you are trying to grab a bargain. Ehh
I find exactly the same thing happens at public auctions as well. On top of the overly high bid, the buyer also has to pay a buyer's fee and sometimes VAT on top.
phone top-ups regularly sell for more than their worth. Weird.
u66454114/10/2019 17:51

phone top-ups regularly sell for more than their worth. Weird.

That's because many international buyers visiting the UK rather get top ups sorted before they land.
One annoying buyer enter high bid and i accept the offer.
Then he want to cancel the transaction!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants