Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Buying a car from Motorpoint - anyone got experience of this?

Posted 13th Jan 2009
I'm in the market for another car and I've been looking at a car supermarket called Motorpoint who almost without exception are cheaper on like for like cars than any other seller (including private sales).

Having had an initial discussion with them it seems the reason their cars are so cheap is that they have generally missed their 1st service (usually due around 12000 miles and the cars have mainly done circa 14k to 16k miles) and therefore the balance of the manufacturors warrenty "could" be invalidated!

I'm really dithering because I'm fairly risk averse but there is a credit crunch going on and the chance to save between £1k & £2k on like for like cars is very appealing.

I'm not looking for you guys to source me cheaper cars (at the moment I'm looking at Mondeo 1.8lx or Vectra Life estate 1.8) I'm just really interested in anyones first hand experience of dealing with Motorpoint (I've seen mixed message board reviews) but I trust you guys on here more!

any feedback much appreciated and rep for any useful nuggets

cheers

Graham
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

51 Comments
Motorpoint

I work for Motorpoint dealing with high level complaints, I also tend to … I work for Motorpoint dealing with high level complaints, I also tend to the reviews on Feefo.com, our official review platform. We invite all of our customers to review their experiences on this site so were best suited to address and resolve as many complaints as we receive. All the customers that are reviewing on Feefo are genuine, verified customers that are asked to provide a few words on their experience. As you can see the vast majority are positive.The company has substantially improved it's complaints handling procedures from when this thread first went live over 7 years ago. We now address complaints very differently, taking much more responsibility and focusing on reaching a satisfactory conclusion to any complaint no matter how large or small. We have more than doubled our customer care team size to ensure we can provide the due care and attention that each case requires.I appreciate that not everyone that has bought a car has a complaint. Currently we don't have an official review system but we do ask for feedback from everyone who provides an email address. If for any reason you're unhappy with your experience be it pre or post sales, we urge you to contact us so we're able to learn from your experiences and improve the company in as many places as possible.If you have any concerns, you can also contact our customer care team on 01332 426 351, email the team at customercare@motorpoint.co.uk or webchat using the link at http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/customerservices. You can also find instructions to log a formal complaint should you feel the need to do so.I am happy to personally answer any questions you may have about a potential purchase of a vehicle or address any problems you may be experiencing. Please contact me by email using neil.baxter@motorpoint.co.uk or on 01332 227 207.I sincerely hope this information will help any current or potential customers.Neil

Neil get another job before this COWBOY company ends up in the high court!
simonekelly587

My 74 year old Dad bought a Nissan X-Trail from the Derby branch Sept … My 74 year old Dad bought a Nissan X-Trail from the Derby branch Sept 2015 and specifically told them he didn't want an import. Infact he asked on numerous occasions to be told that the one he wanted was NOT an import. Even the manager told him it wasn't. So he bought it. My Dad died in Feb 2016 and now we have received the maintenance and service book only to find that the car is from Cyprus. I phoned their customer services to be told...Yes it IS an import. We are trying to sell it and its a nightmare and has anybody considered the insurance issues. Thank God he wasn't involved in a crash as his insurance would have been void!!

simonekelly587

My 74 year old Dad bought a Nissan X-Trail from the Derby branch Sept … My 74 year old Dad bought a Nissan X-Trail from the Derby branch Sept 2015 and specifically told them he didn't want an import. Infact he asked on numerous occasions to be told that the one he wanted was NOT an import. Even the manager told him it wasn't. So he bought it. My Dad died in Feb 2016 and now we have received the maintenance and service book only to find that the car is from Cyprus. I phoned their customer services to be told...Yes it IS an import. We are trying to sell it and its a nightmare and has anybody considered the insurance issues. Thank God he wasn't involved in a crash as his insurance would have been void!!

Just an update I fought Motorpoint for mis-selling the car to my Dad. He paid £22,225 for it in September 2015 and we got £21,000 from them for it in June 2016! They are not admitting any wrong doing or responsibility for mis-selling it but I think the huge payout says it all!!
I bought a car from the Birmingham branch on the 1st of July. I didn't notice that the heated rear windscreen had been damaged until we had a wet morning 2 weeks ago. I contacted Motorpoint customer care who were evasive from the word go. After jumping through hoops of photo's and an estimate for a new screen to be fitted they eventually offered to pay me half the quote. This car was registered in February 2016 and the damage was obviously done during the valet process. Not a good service. I will never use them again, how they avoided contacting me was unbelievable. Poor response to a cash customer. DO NOT USE MOTORPOINT THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS. JUST SALESMEN THAT DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AS LONG AS THEY GET YOU TO SIGN AND PAY!!!
Having issues with Glasgow branch. All seemed fine and we travelled four hours to collect our car to find it had bad and obvious damage - they claimed it must have slipped through QC. Agreed for them to repair (before we've even bought it) and to deliver. That was almost three weeks ago. We have had no reimbursement for our travel (not to mention both taking a full day from work) and updates are decidedly evasive - we have asked to have sight of log book and it keeps getting forgotten. We keep calling, but the girl we need to speak with is 'unavailable' and despite our car supposedly being delivered tomorrow, I'm suspecting its not going to happen. They've now had our deposit for almost a month and that, along with time of work and travel expenses, means we're almost a thousand pound out of pocket. Just not a great company and I wouldn't recommend them.
Loulou1969 You might get the log book but then you might get a letter after a few months saying you need to take your log book in so you can get the service book. The service book might then come, after a few months, from Cyprus, which when you then read the car will have missed the 30 day check up and the first service, making the warranty invalid.
Some alarming stories in here
I contacted Motorpoint yesterday about a 2016 plate 208 I had seen online. Was told I could pay £98 refundable deposit and view the car. I called today abd they had also approved me for finance with £1k px value on my current vehicle. Went today and saw the car, when asking about servicing etc the advised "the first service has been done and the car was registered in Jersey" - first I heard about it! They said the car was definately not an import but when I called Hastings Direct about insurance they said they could not insure and would need to refer to underwriters. In the meantime I had said to the salesman I wasnt happy but he assured me the car WAS NOT an import (doesnt say that word on V5 either but did state in special notes it was registered outside of UK (Jersey)). Basically if the car is an import the cheapest insurance i could get on comparethemarket was a grand (if vehicle was no import its 350). They were pushing me to take the car but I just wasnt happy with the way the dealt with it and the fact the car is / isnt an import was very cloak and dagger. Would cause me huge probs in the future when trying to sell as they are telling me its not an import but all else saying it is. I refused the vehicle and rang head office there and then who cancelled everything and unwound the contract so I left with my own car and left them their "import". Could have been a very expensive mistake had I been a total fool and not asked the right questions. The sales manager on phone was great and said he would refund my deposit and cancel the sale completely. Luckily I had not left dealership so had not taken ownership of the car. The salesman tried to make out that it qas my car now and nothing he could do which is wrong.
Terrible terrible company. I got conned into a finance agreement that wasn’t explained to me properly. I had a problem with the first vehicle I got so changed it a week later. In doing this I not only lost over £1000 but also my original 15 plate Mondeo Estate part exchange. Decided to go for a £15000 car and ended up paying only £20 less than the £19000 car originally bought. Spoke to Black Horse Finance who suggested that I contact Motorpoint Sheffield and request that I ask them for a return of funds. I contacted Motorpoint Sheffield and got the manager. I explained what had happened and he just wouldn’t accept that I had been mis-sold finance. I explained to him that if he didn’t agree to this Black Horse Finance will fight my corner. His response was he will look forward to hearing from them. On another note. Be careful, most of their cars are ex rentle or pool cars. They won’t tell you this. The first you will know of this is when you get to see the v5. Also, watch out for Ahmed Warsame. He does very little but harangues you to give him fantastic feedback. You would not believe the cheek of the man.
Don't believe what you read about Motorpoint Newport they are terrible company to deal with, chose a car on the weekend 23-6-18 left a £300 pound fee to reserve a car and probable buy, made an appointment to test drive car yesterday after receiving tx message saying the car was ready for collection arrived then kept waiting for an hour before being told the car hadn't even been through there checks and valeting process, what a waste of my time, I'm told the £300 will be credited back to me.
my advice would be go strait to the cafeteria have a couple of free coffees then walk back out again don't get taken in.

PS Take a wide berth of Ross Owen the sales man.
John_BCVo38 m ago

Don't believe what you read about Motorpoint Newport they are terrible …Don't believe what you read about Motorpoint Newport they are terrible company to deal with, chose a car on the weekend 23-6-18 left a £300 pound fee to reserve a car and probable buy, made an appointment to test drive car yesterday after receiving tx message saying the car was ready for collection arrived then kept waiting for an hour before being told the car hadn't even been through there checks and valeting process, what a waste of my time, I'm told the £300 will be credited back to me. my advice would be go strait to the cafeteria have a couple of free coffees then walk back out again don't get taken in.PS Take a wide berth of Ross Owen the sales man.

I will reply to you but expect like most of the posters on here we will never see you again sometime issues do happen with any company, but this thread is old news, Motorpoint is not the same company which when this thread was first started their service is normally excellent you just have to see the review sites to see how its changed. Look at John Lewis reviews they get 1 star and then compare this with Motorpoint who get 4+ stars.

Many on here have also said they would buy again from them on other threads.

We recently bought from them they we test drove three cars but they were not the ones we wanted, there was no questions asked when we said we would leave it, no hard pressure just they hoped to see us again. They asked if we wanted them to check back for us if the model we came in, we said yes and received one call in 4 weeks, the car they wanted was not the one they could get at that time.

I then found a car at another of their dealership, it was direct from VW but £4K cheaper than one from a VW dealer, paid the £300 and was told it would be with us in a week. A week later got the call, our sales person was on holiday but a new guy helped us. He was exactly the same as the first guy no pressure, told us before we got in the car not to worry if we didnt like it we could get our money back. Car was perfect, they tried to charge us for the pre check fee which is standard for them, they took that off again no questions asked. No pressure to buy any of the added extras, both guys were the same.

Car so far has been perfect, as many on other threads have also said.

Sometimes issues happen I suspect there was an actual issue with the Ops car as they do the checks first and valet, if you pay the extra £99 pre delivery check they will valet and check it again but reality is its not needed as its been done before.
Don’t buy a car from MotorPoint, the Salesman promise the earth and once they’ve got your money they don’t want to know. In essence they lie to secure a sale.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants