Buying a car; negotiating the price.

Found 20th Sep 2011
I note with interest that when car deals are posted others suggest that they have negotiated better deals. So how do you work out the lowest price to pay for your new/replacement car and get the dealership to accept it. I have attempted to deal with car dealers and they have never budged on the price. Your tips appreciated.
Community Updates
MiscCarPrice Glitch
23 Comments
Used or 2nd hand?
master_chief

Used or 2nd hand?

Isn't that the same thing?
t0mm

Isn't that the same thing?

You're right, I'm a bufoon.

I meant new or used of course.
I'd be interested in this too. I managed to get about £50 or £100 off my car recently, and even that was at a push! Will watch this thread.
Ditto im about to buy another car due to needing 5dr so help appreciated
I got a grand off mine a few months ago, 2nd hand from big dealer.
master_chief

general batering or the walk away ill try elsewhere?
Is there a website where one can find the optimum price for a car. I am thinking used cars.
I cannot haggle face to face, but luckily my wife can. I think her thing is that she is not "attached" to the goods as I am. I see the car/TV/tablet and want it. She knows we need a new car/TV but has no feelings about the one in front of her and she is quite happy to walk away. I just cannot do that. I cannot even be in the shop/salesroom at the same time as her as I cave immediately.
diabeticguy

Is there a website where one can find the optimum price for a car. I am … Is there a website where one can find the optimum price for a car. I am thinking used cars.

Parkers have a price guide which is quite useful:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/

I would also have a look on websites like Autotrader and see what similar cars are for sale for.
Take a list of similar cars with lower prices with you and make sure they think you're going to look at them next. I've done this a few times and you get the 'what can we do so you'll buy our car'.
calmacuk

Parkers have a price guide which is quite … Parkers have a price guide which is quite useful:http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/I would also have a look on websites like Autotrader and see what similar cars are for sale for.

Parkers prices are fairytale.
I still remember the TV programme where Dom Littlewood sent in car buyers with ear pieces and fed them lines to repeat to the car salesmen; demanding mats, petrol, cash, paint protection etc. I feel I have got a deal if I am offered a cup of coffee.
diabeticguy

I still remember the TV programme where Dom Littlewood sent in car buyers … I still remember the TV programme where Dom Littlewood sent in car buyers with ear pieces and fed them lines to repeat to the car salesmen; demanding mats, petrol, cash, paint protection etc. I feel I have got a deal if I am offered a cup of coffee.

That was great. Mats and flaps, mats and flaps lol
Nailez

general batering or the walk away ill try elsewhere?

Well I'm terrible at haggling but I tried for ages to get Evans Halshaw to come down in price but they actually have a policy of not moving from their price, it's tantamount to price fixing amongst dealers what they're doing but that's a different story. I then went elsewhere and told them the car I wanted and the budget, bit of discussion with the owner who happened to be in and we had a deal.

Agree with AberdeenDad's wife (!) about being prepared to walk away from the car if necessary.

If the dealer knows you really want the car, why should he reduce the price? So make him think it's just one of many options you're considering (and do actually see quite a few cars/dealers as this will make you more used to the process). (Obviously therefore never let the dealer know if you need the car in a hurry etc.)

Of course, as you're walking away from the car, the dealer will play similar mind games and say no problem, he has got many other people interested in the car... (sometimes by telling you that a potential customer has phoned to enquire about the car while you are looking at it! Never fall for pressure tactics such as these, including 'this offer is just for today and just for you, Sir...!' statements...!)
Do your homework !!!

Make sure you know what prices the car make/model are going for on the likes of Autotrader.

Also know the prices of the models up/down from the one you are keen on so you can mention this when negotiating a deal.

Take someone with you who knows about cars (if the likes of the tyres will need replacing in the near future or a mechanical repair will be required 12 months down the line, factor this into discussions).

If your not happy with the deal - walk away.

You also need to have patience. The right deal will come along soon enough if you keep your eyes peeled, dont just jump at the first car you see because you have a pocked full of cash.

Its your cash at the end of the day & if the dealer/seller wont match your expectations, just leave it & find another one to suit your needs.
Always view the car in daylight as well - you can spot things that you may not see under failing light.

Check for any damage (inc underneath of the car), paint matching, overspray, doors lining up with body etc or anything else that could give away that it has been in an accident.

A HPI check is mandatory (even if the seller has said, or shown you one) - easy enough to fake. You can even get an instant text one these days for £3. Cars can be smashed up & fixed without ever making a claim, therefore not reflecting as a Cat D/C in a HPI report - so inspections under good light are advised.
PS - the Dealers are referred to as "Stealers" for a reason - dont trust them !!!!
ChrisUK

Always view the car in daylight as well - you can spot things that you … Always view the car in daylight as well - you can spot things that you may not see under failing light..

Agreed, same goes for buying a car when it is raining, never look at a wet car.

Many used cars are well over priced in order to give the buyer the impression that they are getting a good deal with a few hundred quid off.

Aim to get a percentage discount from the asking price.

Start at about 15% and work up from there, you cannot offend a car dealer, remember you are just another punter to them.
master_chief

Lol, you mean they chose not to persue the extra grand they were looking for in order to gain a quick sale.
deek72

Lol, you mean they chose not to persue the extra grand they were looking … Lol, you mean they chose not to persue the extra grand they were looking for in order to gain a quick sale.

Aye, I doubt i caused them to sell at a loss.
Over The Knee

Agree with AberdeenDad's wife (!) about being prepared to walk away from … Agree with AberdeenDad's wife (!) about being prepared to walk away from the car if necessary.If the dealer knows you really want the car, why should he reduce the price? So make him think it's just one of many options you're considering (and do actually see quite a few cars/dealers as this will make you more used to the process). (Obviously therefore never let the dealer know if you need the car in a hurry etc.)Of course, as you're walking away from the car, the dealer will play similar mind games and say no problem, he has got many other people interested in the car... (sometimes by telling you that a potential customer has phoned to enquire about the car while you are looking at it! Never fall for pressure tactics such as these, including 'this offer is just for today and just for you, Sir...!' statements...!)

Excellent advice... always be prepared to walk away from a deal. Sometimes, that even questions the ethic if you really need to have one, but for now, we'll assume you do.

Do your research... learn of any defects about the car, or how they are as a manufacturer, learn about the traders, and your buying rights, know how much you should be paying for it, and it's market value. There's advantages and disadvantages in buying from a registered trader (more expensive, but more credibility... well most the time).

Inspect the car, or have a expert inspect for you. A car is only as good as the sum of it's parts, so make sure to be thorough, and don't be scared to ask for a test drive. If the price is too good to be true, there may well be a reason for it. Don't expect to buy an M3 for £500 for example. However, if you do find any minor defects (this may require some brass), play it to your advantage. They may throw in a discount or offer a warranty on parts if they think they can secure a sell.

It's mostly common sense here, but make sure you're absolutely happy before and after you purchase your car... oh, and never buy PPI... well, not from a car trader anyway. There are always cheaper places for those services.

If only I ever took my own advice sometimes... X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants