Buying a car private

Found 12th Jan
When you pay up and the car is yours would you just get some day insurance to drive home while your partner drives your old car back.. We are going to look at cars tomorrow and one is 70 miles away. Don't want to go back again or go by train to fetch. Rather take away if possible
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
you have to be insured in order to drive.
make a provisional quote, grab the reference number
once you get there ring the insurer and give them the reference. pay with card and voila
Short term insurance is not cheap don't forget to factor that into the cost of the vehicle good luck with your purchase
mattmerch13 m ago

Short term insurance is not cheap don't forget to factor that into the …Short term insurance is not cheap don't forget to factor that into the cost of the vehicle good luck with your purchase

Not looked but fully comp for a year is £200 ish.. We are 50 you see.. I'm guessing about £25 for the day or less... Not sure how to go about it but getting a quote and reference number would work well..
Edited by: "wayners" 12th Jan
wayners7 m ago

Not looked but fully comp for a year is £200 ish.. We are 50 you see.. I'm …Not looked but fully comp for a year is £200 ish.. We are 50 you see.. I'm guessing about £25 for the day or less... Not sure how to go about it but getting a quote and reference number would work well..

ive done that with my gf car. went to birmingham (from derby), she saw it few days earlier, liked it. I made a quote with the cheapest provider before I went to check the car myself. Once I was happy with the car I rang the insurance with reference number (they only confirmed the details so was less than 5min call). Card details and boom, off on the road
We bought a new car in October. I arranged short term insurance on the Internet on my phone whilst the dealership was doing the paperwork. Hubby drove old car back, I drove new car back and then it gave me some time to fully research the cheapest insurance options without having to rush it. I used Tempcover, 24 hour cover for both of us (aged 40) was £40. Hth and good luck with the new car!
...oh and I also arranged the tax on the Internet on my phone at the same time!
have a look at your insurance policy. my husband being the main driver on our policy allow him to drive any car on a temporary basis apart from our main one.

call your insurer and ask if they can cover you for the new car if you buy it. they will probably be the easiest (if not the cheapest) way to get cover until you get everything sorted out permanently.
Ive used an app called cuvva in the past and taken out insurance for a couple of hours just enough to get home, think it only worked out to be about 7 quid
Why are you buying insurance for the day? Are you not keeping the car? If so insure it properly for the year. If you use the same company simply phone them and explain the situation - they will probably give you an extension for the second car to give you a chance to get both cars home - maybe for a small premium but in my experience for free.
As someone said get the quote before you go (if you don't buy the car for any reason you haven't lost anything) then phone or complete the insurance online.
Add it to your existing policy as temporary use
Have done it a few times instead of using my traders policy
and be sure to tax it, its not transferable now any more so you will need you own from the day of purchase.
If you are not covered by your existing insurance (drive any car.....) then I would just do as you suggest. Doubt it would cost you £20! I arranged for my 24 year old son to drive my car for just one day and that is all it cost. Most of the comparison websites do it - here is the link for Confused ...... confused.com/car…ary but there is also gocompare and money supermarket, perhaps others. I would run these comparisons so you know who you are going to use and then if necessary you will just need to pay for a retrieved quote.

As mentioned above look into how you will Tax on the day of purchase - do it as soon as you get home latest or you're at risk of a fine! Idealy do it before the drive home!
If the car is taxed already, ask the seller not to cancel it until the next day or until you reach home.
mutley13 h, 14 m ago

have a look at your insurance policy. my husband being the main driver on …have a look at your insurance policy. my husband being the main driver on our policy allow him to drive any car on a temporary basis apart from our main one.call your insurer and ask if they can cover you for the new car if you buy it. they will probably be the easiest (if not the cheapest) way to get cover until you get everything sorted out permanently.

Only if the other car has it's own insurance policy already, It will be covered third party only under your husbands insurance.
Well update... My wife can drive it back on 3rd party only with her current policy. We don't want to swap insurance as we want to drive our current car to scrap yard plus we will be 70 miles from home so need to get both cars back. Temporarily cover will cost us £28 for both of us or £27 for one driver. I will look up 2 hour insurance though... We don't know if it's taxed so that could be a problem. Might have to go back
mutley14 h, 49 m ago

my husband being the main driver on our policy allow him to drive any car …my husband being the main driver on our policy allow him to drive any car on a temporary basis apart from our main one.

Read the policy carefully as any other car he drives must be insured already for him to be covered. My policy allows the same and the wording is as follows:

The Policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner a private motor car not belonging to him/her and not hired to him/her under a Use for renting out or hiring, merchandise delivery or use for any purpose in connection with the Motor Trade. Use for travel between home and permanent place of business. Hire Purchase Agreement, within our territorial limits, providing there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car.
Edited by: "thenormalone" 12th Jan
mutley14 h, 55 m ago

have a look at your insurance policy. my husband being the main driver on …have a look at your insurance policy. my husband being the main driver on our policy allow him to drive any car on a temporary basis apart from our main one.call your insurer and ask if they can cover you for the new car if you buy it. they will probably be the easiest (if not the cheapest) way to get cover until you get everything sorted out permanently.

Almost certainly excludes cars you or your partner own and will be 3rd party only cover.
Edited by: "mas99" 12th Jan
I just ring my insurer and get the new car put on my policy on a temporary basis. Never had a problem doing this and much cheaper than a specific short term policy.

Actually I think they usually swap the policy so the new car is the main car and the old car is covered on a temp basis. Last swapped cars in Sept, cost me £25 to have the old bmw insured for a month. (I've paid around £200/£250 per year on car insurance for the last few years on 'normal' sort of cars. Audi A4/bmw320).
wayners44 m ago

Well update... My wife can drive it back on 3rd party only with her …Well update... My wife can drive it back on 3rd party only with her current policy. We don't want to swap insurance as we want to drive our current car to scrap yard plus we will be 70 miles from home so need to get both cars back. Temporarily cover will cost us £28 for both of us or £27 for one driver. I will look up 2 hour insurance though... We don't know if it's taxed so that could be a problem. Might have to go back

£28 temporary cover doesn't sound too bad. you could always negotiate to knock this off the asking price
webtrawler3 h, 52 m ago

If the car is taxed already, ask the seller not to cancel it until the …If the car is taxed already, ask the seller not to cancel it until the next day or until you reach home.

Car tax cannot be transferred with ownership. The minute the buyer takes ownership he becomes responsible for taxing it. When the seller cancels the tax he receives a refund for any whole months of tax paid for and not used.
That said if the seller waits to cancel the tax it won't be picked up by the police on the ANPR checks though he will be driving illegally and could find himself in serious trouble if he's involved in any accident or traffic infringement whether his fault or not.
Personally I don't see why people don't tax the car before driving away - it takes about two minutes online.
Will ask about tax.. I won't do anything illegal. I'm not that sort..
Just checked what I paid for my son and that was £15.70 but it was for "Admiral Car Sharing Insurance" which won't be valid for what you want to do! (It adds an additional driver to an existing policy for a short duration).
Reading up on this as I'm learning here. We will need to pay £28 for 24 hours of insurance and tax the car as well. Am I correct? Assuming it's already taxed that makes no difference..I'll have to cough up
wayners24 m ago

Reading up on this as I'm learning here. We will need to pay £28 for 24 …Reading up on this as I'm learning here. We will need to pay £28 for 24 hours of insurance and tax the car as well. Am I correct? Assuming it's already taxed that makes no difference..I'll have to cough up

I don't know if there are any shorter periods for the insurance but you have to tax the car on the same day the previous owner takes the tax off. If I was selling a car I would take the tax off as soon as the buyer had paid as otherwise I could be held responsible for any driving offences.

The previous owner will have already paid for January and will not be refunded for the part month (unless SORN) - and you have to pay for January as well - so win win for the establishment!
Edited by: "Van1973" 12th Jan
Try something like swiftcover. You will also need to tax it right away as the tax does not transfer. You can also register the car online too quickly.

Always do a check to see if the vehicle is on finance, if yes AVOID! There are plenty of services that cost a couple of £ to do a check.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 12th Jan
If the cars taxed and you're gonna use it straight away and keep using it you need to tax it , if your driving home and not using it straight away and it's still showing taxed I wouldn't tax it
Check if it's taxed here ...
gov.uk/che…tax
Update... Bought car.. Taxed and insured over coffee there and then. We transfered ownership to. Thanks everyone your help was needed
Bradleigh12th Jan

If the cars taxed and you're gonna use it straight away and keep using it …If the cars taxed and you're gonna use it straight away and keep using it you need to tax it , if your driving home and not using it straight away and it's still showing taxed I wouldn't tax itCheck if it's taxed here ...https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Not worth the risk, one of the terms of Insurance is that you have tax (that now means in your name), a crash or even a stop by the police will leave you in court.
The not so funny thing is.. While the wife transferred ownership of the car I taxed it.. I used the log book number and paid with my card and don't think I entered a name. Now I have no idea if tax is in my name or the wife's name.. I think the tax goes to the owner of the car / log book and is tied to that, so as long as she don't transfer ownership its all good.. I think... God knows. They don't make it easy do they.. It's hard to think straight sometimes
Edited by: "wayners" 14th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants