Groups

buying a car - which one from here

hi all, am purchasing a 2nd car but only had the 1st one for 2weeks.
    dont want to get ripped off. want a decent car and iv identified the 2 below (budget: £5500) but which one should i go for:

1. BMW 1 Series 118d 5-doors: really want a 05 plate and above but cannt find anythg below £7k

2. VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.6 Match TDI manual: have actually found one in a local garage. its 07 plate, 90k miles red color, garage mentioned he will do cambelt change. asking for £6k. do u think its worth it. could not find many golf tdi on autotrader

please can someone advise on the above cars

10 Comments

Do a checkup on insurance cost/petrol consumption/tax rate costs first if I was you.

Since this is still technically your first car everything has a factor on how much in the end you will be paying for it.

go for the bmw much better than a golf lol

*katie*

go for the bmw much better than a golf lol

If only looks interest he does state its "first car" and there is a big difference on insurance prices if you get that wrong

Over a long period of time the BMW mechanically will give you less problems than a 1.6 golf most develop clutch or gear problems after a while.

I would go for the 1 Series.

As above - check the insurance/tax/fuel economy and use the free price guides online.

You can always get an inspection done on the vehicle for about £100 for peace of mind and might help with lowering the price if they find some things that need doing...

CollateralDamage

Over a long period of time the BMW mechanically will give you less … Over a long period of time the BMW mechanically will give you less problems than a 1.6 golf most develop clutch or gear problems after a while.

Current golf tdi ,I've had for over three years with 60k miles travelled over that time. I can confirm no clutch or gearbox problems at all. Drives without fault...
    When the snow comes I'd rather be driving a front wheeled drive car any day... Pull round all those beached Bmw's!

bmw looks much nicer than dated golf

daveydingle

When the snow comes I'd rather be driving a front wheeled drive car any … When the snow comes I'd rather be driving a front wheeled drive car any day... Pull round all those beached Bmw's!

Problem is most BMW drivers are ding bats who don't have a clue how to drive them. More money than sense and all that.

Perfect example youtube.com/wat…QaQ
    Edited by: "anewman" 20th Jun 2011

I may have read it wrong but surely you can't afford either?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio33
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846164
      3. What do these 2 men have in common68
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?30134

See more discussions