Buying a caravan from abroad

Found 30th Jul 2012
My other half is interested in buying a second hand caravan which is manufactured in France and is popular over the continent.

I thought it may be cheaper to buy it in europe and tow it home. Has anyone got any experience of buying a caravan from abroad?

1. Misc
  2. Caravan
14 Comments

IB4 "Its got no feckin wheels!" [img]t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSNYvbVnMyOu9N14cpCNpx2_3O1dIG-gsDn8bImDkJSmKwH_TODmoJlCH3[/img]

Not being funny but isnt the door often on the other side (doesnt really matter but..).

Would it be liable for any taxes/duty?

Original Poster

harlzter

Not being funny but isnt the door often on the other side (doesnt really … Not being funny but isnt the door often on the other side (doesnt really matter but..).Would it be liable for any taxes/duty?

i don't know but i am thinking second hand stuff don't get taxed (especially if bought in europe) and also the door of the caravan won't follow the standard rule as you are not meant to be in it when towing.

Do they also not use different plug sockets? I suppose you could get adaptors but just a thought.

Original Poster

jonny619447

Do they also not use different plug sockets? I suppose you could get … Do they also not use different plug sockets? I suppose you could get adaptors but just a thought.

never thought of that. yes, that may be annoying but if we could save a few thousand it may not be so bad to put up with it.

harlzter

Not being funny but isnt the door often on the other side (doesnt really … Not being funny but isnt the door often on the other side (doesnt really matter but..).Would it be liable for any taxes/duty?

jonny619447

Do they also not use different plug sockets? I suppose you could get … Do they also not use different plug sockets? I suppose you could get adaptors but just a thought.

Its silly little things like this you don't think about. But sockets are easy to change and cheap enough (not much more than the cost of adapters). The bigger question is are there any inbuilt electricals ie fridge that need lower voltages, although more modern stuff is able to take anything between 110v and 240v.

Also remember this will lower resale value (being euro spec)
Edited by: "harlzter" 30th Jul 2012

You may also have issues if you go on camp sites with strict rules, i.e. tow bars facing in/out as your door will be on the wrong side, as will your awning if you use one, and camp sites don't like awnings facing each other,

Check the cost of insurance. insurance is sky high (even if you can get it) as obtaining parts in the case of an accident on a foreign caravan are so high. Also consider how easy it is to get run-of-the mill replacement parts

harlzter

Its silly little things like this you don't think about. But sockets are … Its silly little things like this you don't think about. But sockets are easy to change and cheap enough (not much more than the cost of adapters). The bigger question is are there any inbuilt electricals ie fridge that need lower voltages, although more modern stuff is able to take anything between 110v and 240v.Also remember this will lower resale value (being euro spec)

More or less the same voltage is used throughout Europe these days.

It is only backward countries like the US that use 110volts.(_;)

Inactive

More or less the same voltage is used throughout Europe these days.It is … More or less the same voltage is used throughout Europe these days.It is only backward countries like the US that use 110volts.(_;)

Thats why I said it should be fine with more modern equipment (as the op doesn't state the age of the trailer)

Don't know about France, but in Holland any caravan weighing more than 750Kg is classified as a car and therefore has a "registration document". Something for you to look into.
If it is the same in France, then you'd need to consider picking the 'van up during the week so that you can transfer the document into your name.

Original Poster

guys, are you sure the door is on the other side for caravans abroad?

what side are the doors in the UK on caravans?

mutley1

guys, are you sure the door is on the other side for caravans abroad?what … guys, are you sure the door is on the other side for caravans abroad?what side are the doors in the UK on caravans?

If you stand facing front of caravan, Tow bar end doors in the right. X

Original Poster

sig1169

If you stand facing front of caravan, Tow bar end doors in the right. X

cheers.
ie. on the passenger side of a towing car.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions