Groups

Buying a car...insurance question (please offer me some advice)

Im getting a used car and getting rid of the one I have now. However, I dont think I will be able to part exchange my car as its quite old so I will just get another one and sell mine privately. I will get a friend to drive the new car home and I will drive my car home, then sort out insurance for new car when I get home.

My question is my friends insurance allows him to drive other cars (as done mine) - but does this apply if I (the owner of the car) doesnt have insurance? We both have 3p, fire and theft.

Is it ok for us to buy the car, even though techincally no one has car insurance for it, until we get home. Never been a problem in the past, but just wondering if anyone knows the situation here. Thanks!

15 Comments

Legally the car should be insured regardless of when it is driven on a public road. If you get stopped by the police while driving the uninsured car home then you will land either yourself or your friend in hot water....

If you are both "fully comp" and therefore insured to drive any car 3rd party
    then you should drive your old car and your friend the new car that's ok

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;4829499

Legally the car should be insured regardless of when it is driven on a … Legally the car should be insured regardless of when it is driven on a public road. If you get stopped by the police while driving the uninsured car home then you will land either yourself or your friend in hot water....

Thats what I thought...thanks

You could be done for not having insurance. When you arrange the insurance for the new car tell the insurers the situation, they will arrange short term cover (day or two?). They must have to deal with things like this loads of times.

If your friend is fully comp then the car you are going to buy MUST be insured by the previous owner (or someone other than your friend) for your friends insurace to be valid on it. Your friends fully comp insurance will then be classed as 3rd party only insurance on that vehicle.

I used to work for eagle star!!

if you are buying from a main dealer, they will usually give you a seven day policy for your new car. Ask them or else use someone like this ]https//ww…rds you can arrange insurance by the day. Hope this helps

michelleleemoo;4829537

definately make sure you get the insurance sorted, dont make assumptions … definately make sure you get the insurance sorted, dont make assumptions as the police will automatically seize the car and fine you and 6 points on yr licence

+1

Yep. Conflicking advice on this thread. I'd phone the insurers, they will advice you what is best.

Original Poster

:thumbsup:

michelleleemoo;4829537

definately make sure you get the insurance sorted, dont make assumptions … definately make sure you get the insurance sorted, dont make assumptions as the police will automatically seize the car and fine you and 6 points on yr licence

Thanks everyone...I thought it was as you all said, my friend said otherwise. I could always drive home first, sort insurance then tell my friend he ok to drive it home...not sure how much it be to insure other car for a few days or if they can do that

Original Poster

we both only have 3p, fire and theft...new insurnace will be fully comp. Insurers closed today may see if I can call tom

bargainhunter2009;4829561

we both only have 3p, fire and theft...new insurnace will be fully comp. … we both only have 3p, fire and theft...new insurnace will be fully comp. Insurers closed today may see if I can call tom

the link i sugested above will give you instant cover by the day

If its not too far away , just bring it back.

My brother in law got stopped last year in the wifes new car that was uninsured on the MID as he was delivering it to us (it was a surprise). Got stopped and as the dozy git didn't have his docs the car got towed. All he had to do was present his insurance and they gave him the car back as it was insured by him being in charge of it at the time.

Original Poster

castortroy;4829576

the link i sugested above will give you instant cover by the day

thanks never knew you could do that

Take out the insurance before you buy the car. Then you can cancel, as you have a seven day cooling off period or you already have your car insured. Easy to do over the internet even on the weekend.

Just get a day of insurance from dayinsure or similar, what you are trying to do will mean driving uninsured unfortunately.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mil track and trace66
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553765
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423714463
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767185

See more discussions