Buying a cpu from cex

Found 16th Mar 2016
I have some stuff I was going to sell to cex I was thinking about getting credit and buying a CPU from them the i7 6700k for £250 do you think this is wise anyone got a CPU from cex before
Community Updates
AskCPU
17 Comments
Probably better off trying to get it through Flubit and getting a warranty with it. I'm really not sure cex would have taken the time to test it works, nor would you know there was a problem until you tried it.
Steve Mac

Probably better off trying to get it through Flubit and getting a … Probably better off trying to get it through Flubit and getting a warranty with it. I'm really not sure cex would have taken the time to test it works, nor would you know there was a problem until you tried it.

You get a years warranty from CEX... if it doesn't work, just take it back for a refund, then perhaps go down the Flubit route?
Just bought an i5-6600k from cex recently, you get 2 years warranty actually and you pay 2.50 for Royal Mail special delivery next day. Seems pretty good value. Not sure how good the warranty is though if it were to develop a fault further down the line.
I just got an i3 for my server from CEX... you get protection if paying through PayPal and the paper work suggest s that it comes with a 2 hear warranty. I think I'll always buy cpu's from them now.
Steve Mac

Probably better off trying to get it through Flubit and getting a … Probably better off trying to get it through Flubit and getting a warranty with it. I'm really not sure cex would have taken the time to test it works, nor would you know there was a problem until you tried it.

cex wont buy these with out testing them
There warranty degrades in time.

Pay £100 for TV
6 Months it breaks
They don't give you £100
They take off current market drop + 6 months worth of usage
to be fair they actually replace it before they take money off etc..
thanks guys think I might just go for it as I'll get a lot more in credit than I would in cash for the items I have
muldoon1986

thanks guys think I might just go for it as I'll get a lot more in credit … thanks guys think I might just go for it as I'll get a lot more in credit than I would in cash for the items I have

Id go for it. Cex gets a bad rep but i dnt know what people expect. You buy an electrical second hand item for £100. If it breaks in 6 month theyll probably refund £40.00 so youve had use of it for 6 month for £60.00

People seem to expect second hand stuff thats half the price to last forever and come with warranty to match buying it new. Its just not realistic

If your willing to take a small risk for a big saving then go for it if not buy new
I'm going to be doing the same and ordering an i5-4690K from them.

Two year warranty is fine by me if they replace it. I'm only trading in stuff I have laying around in drawers being unused too, so no real outlay either.
Just my pennies worth but for a present generation processor I'd rather have intels replacement warranty for 3 years than save a bit for a 2 year warranty. For an older generation cpu over 3yrs old the cex deal seems fair.
miikeyblue

You get a years warranty from CEX... if it doesn't work, just take it … You get a years warranty from CEX... if it doesn't work, just take it back for a refund, then perhaps go down the Flubit route?

Never had to return anything so not sure what they are like for that. I just know the staff at my local don't check the discs I've traded in.
mattmerch

cex wont buy these with out testing them

I'm not being funny but the people in the local cex by me really don't look like they'd know what to do with a CPU. I've never seen a test rig in store so I'm guessing they just look at it and make a decision.
Steve Mac

Never had to return anything so not sure what they are like for that. I … Never had to return anything so not sure what they are like for that. I just know the staff at my local don't check the discs I've traded in.

I returned a PS3 many moons ago... was an old 40gb phat model... didn't have any replacement in stock so gave me a free upgrade to 80gb.

Traded a few electricals in there myself, they've always tested them. Discs are a little different I guess, just a quick visual inspection does the trick - traded a few in for my mum and had a few rejected as they were too scuffed.
miikeyblue

I returned a PS3 many moons ago... was an old 40gb phat model... didn't … I returned a PS3 many moons ago... was an old 40gb phat model... didn't have any replacement in stock so gave me a free upgrade to 80gb.Traded a few electricals in there myself, they've always tested them. Discs are a little different I guess, just a quick visual inspection does the trick - traded a few in for my mum and had a few rejected as they were too scuffed.

The lot at my shop need to be more thorough, I've had so many badly scratched discs from them I've stopped buying from there. Good place to get rid of random hardware though.
123batman321

Id go for it. Cex gets a bad rep but i dnt know what people expect. You … Id go for it. Cex gets a bad rep but i dnt know what people expect. You buy an electrical second hand item for £100. If it breaks in 6 month theyll probably refund £40.00 so youve had use of it for 6 month for £60.00People seem to expect second hand stuff thats half the price to last forever and come with warranty to match buying it new. Its just not realisticIf your willing to take a small risk for a big saving then go for it if not buy new

​only dealt with them once bought what was supposed to be shield k1 tablet and turned out to be the older model, took it straight back for a refund and they tried to argue it was the newer model when it clearly wasn't. I find it hard to believe they couldn't tell the difference, won't be buying from them again.
ordered a 4790k and it blue screen all xmas. so i play around with it like you do and it gets worse and i know it defective , took it back and they affered me a 4770k and that was dead! gonna get the money and make the switch to 8th gen after all i was paying 225 for a second hand abused cpu. if you think about it no one would sell a k edition cpu unless its been throught the grinder.never buy k cpu. from cex.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants