Groups

Buying a desktop computer help please. UPDATE: *I just bought one*

My dad needs a new computer, his current one is 10 years old (!!!) and needs a pretty urgent replacement as it is playing up. Bad timing, as always happens, as the company he works for went bust this week, so not a lot of funds to spend on this, don't really want to spend any more than £350.
    Needs to be able to run some complicated accounting software, have windows 7 premium, 750GB or above and be able to cope with every day life of a man and have at least 12 months warranty. No screen required.

I have found this Dell inspiron 560 MT for £358.99 inc delivery.:

Processor: Intel® Pentium® Dual CoreTM E5800 (3.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    Memory1; 4GB1 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at -1MHz
    Hard Drive: 1000GB2 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
    Video Card: Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 Graphics
    Warranty: 1 year of coverage included with your PC

Any thoughts on the above, a good deal?
    He'll miss an extra cd drive to copy stuff directly but assume this can be added at a later stage.

Thanks everyone!

14 Comments

Original Poster

Linky for Dell above: dell.com/uk/…560

Perhaps try John Lewis where guarantee is usually free for 2 years, then from £50 for a third year.

I have never bought a PC from them, but have bought many other electrical items, for myself and my elderly father, and have always had great customer service.

Could wait untill someone posts a good deal on here.

Original Poster

Joey Bloggsy

Could wait untill someone posts a good deal on here.

I think it needs replacing within the week tbh, can't really wait more than a fortnight as it really is playing up and he can't be without a computer.
    Hopefully someone will post a mega-deal over the weekend maybe? That's the thing, you never know when the deals are going to pop up. I had a look through the deals but nothing special seemed to be there.
    I am surprised it has lasted this long - 10 years, I haven't gone more than 4 1/2 years without needing/wanting to replace a laptop.

Original Poster

Joey Bloggsy

you might have seen this already - … you might have seen this already - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/intel-core-i3-540-diy-combo-coolermaster-elite-335-asus-p7h55-m-usb-3-0-1tb-hard/916110#comments

Yep, I saw that but the 'DIY' bit put me off, as I don't know what we would really need to do. It's a great price though.

TBH, I was about to give some tech advice on what to look for, but I then looked again at the specs you posted and the price and I don't think you can argue.

Reasonable processor, good amount of RAM and large disk.

As long as he isnt planning on connecting it to a server then he should be good with that machine

http://****Systems/Home+and+Office/Family+PCs/Proteus+Eclipse+X3+Family+PC+?productId=44185

Original Poster

fmgod

http://****Systems/Home+and+Office/Family+PCs/Proteus+Eclipse+X3+Family+PC+?productId=44185

Thanks, I appreciate you looking. I just had a look and it is a bit more than we wanted to pay and it comes with a screen so I'd be paying for that when it's just not needed (I know it could be sold on but it's easier to buy without one and save money in the first place). It also has 2GB ram and 500GB Hard drive, whereas the above has 4GB and 1000GB for £40 less.

Thats a tri-core processor, your one is only a dual core.

fmgod

aria.co.uk

Avoid!
    You know a company is bad when they have to offer gifts to forum members in return for them pumping their web review scores!

do you not know anyone who can build a comp if you get the parts? where are you based?

Original Poster

I organised this from the Dell outlet for £335 delivered (it's the Dell Inspiron 580MT, £448 on the proper site)

Processor: Intel® CoreTM i3 550 (3.2GHz/4MB cache)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
    Hard Drive: 1000GB4 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
    Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® G310
    Optical Drive: DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with DVD Burn software
    Warranty 1 year

Delivery on 19th so not a long wait.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions