Expired

buying a house boiler inspection? - HELP

Found 19th Jan 2014
Hi All,

I'm a FTB and found a house i like. The vendors separated and needs to sell in order to pay off her ex. Although the house is structurally sound it needs redecorating throughout and all of the internal doors replacing (no holes etc just cheap and nasty). Basically it looks like no TLC for a couple of years.

I asked about the boiler and was told its 12-15 years old and works fine, but i have no idea about boilers. I asked if it has had an inspection recently and the answer was no.

So my question is, is it reasonable to as the vendor to pay for a boiler inspection or is this my responsibility. I know the survey won't say much other than an inspection is recommended.

Assuming the inspection came back with work required, i guess i would be able to reduce my offer to cover the cost of this work?
Community Updates
AskBoiler
14 Comments
You could always ask, but be prepared if the answers no. At that age of boiler I would say to budget in your offer for the fact that a new boiler is probably going to be required In The next 5years
Boiler inspections aren't really that expensive. DO NOT use british gas, I hear nothing but bad reviews about them. Use a well recommended local plumber that is qualified to do the inspection/service.
y not ask to go half's as if it puts you off the house they could use it for future buyers?
If you do need a new boiler it won't be just a case of swapping it out either as new boilers are combis and require the pipework modyfying on older systems.so you best to get a qoute before buying but at a rough guess your talking the best part of £3000 .If the vendors are pushed to sell they may well drop the price if you can provide enough leverage that the boiler needs replacing and you can quote realistic prices.
Edited by: "arachnoid" 19th Jan 2014
What about an electrical inspection, a subsidence check and all the other possible information that you might want? Providing information as part of a sale can be construed as a form of warranty, so I doubt that the vendor's solicitor would agree to anything not required by law.
arachnoid

If you do need a new boiler it won't be just a case of swapping it out … If you do need a new boiler it won't be just a case of swapping it out either as new boilers are combis and require the pipework modyfying on older systems.so you best to get a qoute before buying but at a rough guess your talking the best part of £3000 .If the vendors are pushed to sell they may well drop the price if you can provide enough leverage that the boiler needs replacing and you can quote realistic prices.

I take your point but if the existing boiler actually is only 12-15 yrs old it may well be a combi, they've been in common use for at least 20 years, probably longer.
Also, you don't have to have a combi, there are other types that can match the existing plumbing arrangement. though of course many plumbers don't want you to know that!
It's not their responsibility, the cost of all this should factor in the cost of a possible boiler replacement. The house is market value minus the repairs you need to do to bring it back up to market value. Surely you aren't paying full price for it. If you end up picking things like the boiler why stop there? It makes no sense. Just chop a grand off the offer price if you think it may be a problem.
I just dropped out my separate water and CH boilers to put in a combo but only because I put a two storey side extension in.
I had them both serviced annually and was told last year by the plumber they were excellent quality and made far better than most boilers nowadays so don't assume they'll be a problem.
Don't believe the rubbish that new boilers need significant pipe modification.
I bought a high spec baxi with high output for a four bed three bath house installed with seven year warranty Nov 2013 for £1,750 with a lot of new pipe work but only because it was routed twenty five feet away from the original position.
The original separate boilers had been in twenty years.

Edited by: "willhay555" 19th Jan 2014
The vendor is unlikely to want to do an inspection as if it does come up faulty then she will have to pay for the repair or replacement which she needs like a hole in the head.

If you do buy and are concerned you can always get British Gas Homecare for peace of mind. I've found them very reliable over the years.
aircanman

It's not their responsibility, the cost of all this should factor in the … It's not their responsibility, the cost of all this should factor in the cost of a possible boiler replacement. The house is market value minus the repairs you need to do to bring it back up to market value. Surely you aren't paying full price for it. If you end up picking things like the boiler why stop there? It makes no sense. Just chop a grand off the offer price if you think it may be a problem.

No not offering full offer price. It was 200k and they've just dropped to 190k. Been on the market for 3 months. It has a consevatory on the back which needs tearing down. We have a builder friend who's quoted 3k so factored that in. Went in at 1st offer today at 181k as there is a similar one that needs no work on at 188k.

Just waiting to hear, thanks for everyone's advice.
i don't know how it works in England but in Scotland the buyer has 5 days (sometimes more) to find any faults (this includes boiler) and of which the seller needs to put right. the cost of actual inspections lies with you though
paul1005

No not offering full offer price. It was 200k and they've just dropped to … No not offering full offer price. It was 200k and they've just dropped to 190k. Been on the market for 3 months. It has a consevatory on the back which needs tearing down. We have a builder friend who's quoted 3k so factored that in. Went in at 1st offer today at 181k as there is a similar one that needs no work on at 188k. Just waiting to hear, thanks for everyone's advice.

Try not to go too ahead of things, you can spend time and money getting quotations and getting this and that arranged only for the seller to go with another buyer or for the whole sale to fall through due to unforeseen circumstances.
Sounds like your getting the house at a decent price so I wouldn't worry about the boiler.
aircanman

Try not to go too ahead of things, you can spend time and money getting … Try not to go too ahead of things, you can spend time and money getting quotations and getting this and that arranged only for the seller to go with another buyer or for the whole sale to fall through due to unforeseen circumstances.

Most sensible contribution to date.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions